Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @ quota. I just got my camera today and have been using the Fotga Nikon F to NX adapter which has been working flawlessly in the limited hours I've had it. Cheap, but well made metal with no play in the camera mount or lens.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JFMRQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

personalview.jpg
    1280 x 536 - 154K
  • Figured out Nikon F adapter and NX1. Nikon G to NX adapter still wouldn't take to the lens though. Thanks guys.

• @Angry_C I have no idea why others have not reported this issue, seems very odd. Maybe the majority of the buyers doesn't even know/care that it's an issue, you don't need total manual control of the audio when your main use of the camera is filming your cat in your backyard :) Well, lets just hope for a fix.

• racer5, I'm using an old Pentax lens on my NX1 and the focus zoom and peaking is available via pressing the OK button.

• Some initial observations:

-Adore the 2.35:1 crop guides, I just leave them on permanently.

-The skin tones are fantastic.

-Very fast boot time, comparable to a DSLR. 1 seconds from camera on to recording/photo taking. Love this.

-Rolling Shutter seems no worse than A7s in 4K, and camera weight helps this issue.

-Rolling shutter in 1080p mode is RIDICULOUSLY good, I mean to the point of being invisible for normal shooting. If you shoot primarily 1080p I would take a serious look at this camera. There is a tiny bit moire in this mode, but far less than my D800, very usable. Will be taking a closer look at this because it seems nobody is mentioning it!

-4K Video doesn't seem to drain the battery fast, though need to test this more to be sure.

-Viewfinder is excellent when recording video. Surprisingly, its a little less usable in stills mode, sacrificing to much detail for my taste for a quicker response time.

-Comfortable grip and ergonomics, but may not be for those with large hands. Perfect for me.

-I Transcode the files to H264 using some custom settings with handbrake for editing, seems to retain detail very well and 4K edits fine in Premiere. Store the original files alongside because they are so small.

-Image will not switch from viewfinder to rear display while recording or in video standby mode.

-Digital punch in is excellent, but wish I could map it to the AF-ON button, hitting it on the OK button loosens my grip.

-Adapted Canon FD mount lenses balance very well.

Will post a full review when I can with footage.

• @Brother, @Angry_C: "I have no idea why others have not reported this issue, seems very odd. Maybe the majority of the buyers doesn't even know/care that it's an issue..." -> related to in-camera sound recording

Possibly, but there are also those who have already learned that using an in-camera recording is as good as using the built-in flash to substitute for proper lightning. At least I am in this group and therefore I did not even think to test it on the NX1.

Let's put it in perspective:

If you are unhappy with the NX1 sound features, spend some reading, or YouTube watching, and learn how to get a great sound for your style of shooting. You will learn very quickly that a microphone placement is the most important element of good sound, and that an on-camera mike, even a shotgun, is really not a good idea if you care for sound quality (they make shotgun mikes for DSLRs because they sell well, not because it is a way to go). Perhaps then, you will be ready to embrace better setups for your needs, despite of it being more complicated and more expensive. You do not need to spend much - the priority for good sound is 1. mike placement, 2. mike quality (you will not need anything better than a mid range quality, and even the cheap ones will work decently with proper placement), and 3. recording device quality (Tascam or Zoom products may be all you need; Sound Devices if you aim for pro-results). Even the cheapest setup, like Zoom H1 with $30 lavalier, will be superior to the built-in recording on any DLSR/mirrorless in NX1 price range. And for synchronizing in post? Just let your talent clap her/his hands (... poormans slate/time code).

Having said that, there definitely are (emergency) situations where the in-camera sound recording is useful (or the only available option at that time). I am very hopeful that Samsung will improve it as they did with the other features. In half a year, NX1 will be an excellent, mature product. The things that cannot be changed are already excellent, and Samsung is listening to us and appears to be eager to improve what can be done with firmware.

• @DMZ

An external mike does not change the fact, there are some automatics in the audiopath which can not be turned off. There is an automatic gain control and a noisegate. The manual audio is nothing else like an offset. This is crap, Samsung! All we can do is using an external recorder or hoping that samsung will fix this. In my case I don't want to use an extra device.

• @DMZ

Did you even read our discussion? Your'e missing the point. I'm not saying that the audio is bad. I'm saying that there is a function that should be disabled, or at least that users can disable it themselves. My Tascam DR-60 and 2 x Rode NTG-2 records pretty good audio but hey, thanks for the audio lesson.

• Obviously this is a well worn path, but for many of us the audio in the camera would not be usable no matter how it is configured. OTOH, why not have it be linear?

• @Angry_C: Using external sound recording solves the issue with internal AGC. If you do not want to use external recording, then the only options I see is to wait for the fix or get different camera. Honestly, I think that remembering to push an extra button is not too much inconvenience considering what benefits you get for it. Practice makes master. (Yes, I read your old posts back then.)

@Brother: Yes, I read your discussion. In the first part of my post, I "put it in a perspective," and then I stated that Samsung should, and I am confident that will, address this issue. And I did address your previous post in my first few sentences (Did you read my post? :))

DR 60 and NTG-1 is a good, popular option. I am using DR-680, NTG-1 and -3, studio mikes, and a bunch of lavs and boundary mikes. All mikes in a proper placement off-camera. My use is mainly for interviews and group talks. I am not an expert but I did take time to research the topic before buying my sound equipment to compliment my GH3, which is now my B camera to NX1.

Sorry if I unintentionally offended someone with my opinion, I did not mean to.

• @DMZ

Sorry if i came off a bit harsh but i'm just disappointed that a $1500 camera has this kind of noise in the recordings. There's no excuse for it. I often find myself in shooting situations where i need to be lightweight and fast and my external audio solution is not an option. I'm really hoping that Samsung continues to listen to the community and pushing out firmwares. But i guess this is what you get for being an early adopter.

• I'm really hoping that Samsung continues to listen to the community and pushing out firmware. But I guess this is what you get for being an early adopter.

I think it is not hard change, so could be in next firmware if they still have good amount of people working on it.

• I too use Tascam dr60 for double system sound. I'd encourage others to go this route as well. Most common audio issue is bad cabling. DR60 will keep you locked into heavy duty xlr cables across your entire audio path. I never bother with flimsy unreliable 1/8" mini jacks, or on a related beat, hdmi. The decks are so cheap now and so compact and the syncing so easy.

• well. Most common audio issue is bad cabling. DR60 will keep you locked into heavy duty xlr cables across your entire audio path. I never bother with flimsy unreliable 1/8" mini jacks, or on a related beat, hdmi.

I suggest Samsung to make something like Sony xlr-k2m. They have small mike that transfer audio vide digital connection on hotshoe,so, it is possible. Sony smart shoe is more advanced, but anyway.

• I suggest Samsung to make something like Sony xlr-k2m. They have small mike that transfer audio vide digital connection on hotshoe,so, it is possible. Sony smart shoe is more advanced, but anyway.

Sounds awesome. Haven't heard of those.

• It's true that a digital connection would be better. The so called "pro" xlrs are connected internally with ribbons, and the wires inside these are not only not shielded, they are way thinner than a cheap 1/8" cable.

• XLR's have a much more positive and reliable connection than 1/8 mini jacks. I've had zero issues with them in 15 years. Cannot say that about less robust connectors.

• @ geoffcbasset "-Adapted Canon FD mount lenses balance very well."

What adapter and which Canon FD are you using? Focus behaving well - i.e. infinity etc ? I would love to see some 4K shot on some Canon FDs as I have quite a few...

best regards, ninetto

• @ninetto

Might be shooting a drummer with this anamorphic setup later today.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-NXFD-Samsung-Mirrorless-Adapter/dp/B004HI4PPC/

FD Lenses sit very close to the body, making them work very well with the camera.

IMG_20150202_123533420.jpg
    1280 x 721 - 294K
  • Updated today: "Samsung NX1 First Impressions Review updated with shooting experience" on dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsung-nx1/6

Author's conclusion:

"Like me, I suspect a lot of our readers have never used a Samsung DSLR. (See, there I go calling it a DSLR again...) I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I had high expectations based of the spec sheet. For the most part I have to say that the NX1 really impressed me. It basically tries to out-spec everything else in its class and makes a very good impression in the process. Our full review will evaluate it's true performance side-by-side against established class leaders, but if you find the feature set of the NX1 attractive you owe it to yourself to give it a try. You might be surprised."

• Another throw away review. I have yet to read a review that seemed to reflect the reality of this camera. I'm a little slanted because I do 90% video and video is routinely glossed over by these reviewers with the now obligatory comment bemoaning the lack of h265 support and other useless comments. Adam Wilt please?

• @brianl

What kind of tests/details you wanted?

• dynamic range, rez charts, incidence of moire/aliasing, skew issues in different formats, color accuracy (beyond "looks great!) audio quality, audio functionality/agc, motion signature assessments, low light capability (wildly varying opinions on this one), comparisons (side by side) to competitors like GH4. If such things are mentioned, It's always in the most cursory manner. Example: I watched a long video review by highly regarded testers, their test of skew amounted to a 2 second clip of a handheld shot walking past the corner of an office building. They proudly announced "Skew minimal!" Well guess what, in 4k mode, there's A LOT of skew!

That kind of stuff. I find the reviews so far highly subjective. Things like "It feels really good in my hand". That sounds like something you'd say about fondling a hooker's tits.

There are also reviews that are obsessively negative, and other that do nothing but fawn over the thing.

None of this really relates to me, I've already bought into the system and like it a lot. I also don't have the techy acumen or time to conduct a proper dynamic range test or such. But I've observed many people have the skill set and TIME to do such things and yet they never seem to bother with the NX1. That's puzzling because as this review does state, the NX1 has a great spec sheet that one would think would have the techies scrambling to test it out.

So yes, I'm surprised in that the camera has been out long enough for some quality reviews and yet it's pretty bleak. Hopefully part II of DPreview will ramp up the game. I like that website when the users aren't fighting each other. It's all fun and games for me, as I've said, I've already invested in the camera. But for those trying to make an informed purchase, I don't think I've seen a review yet that seemed particularly informative or accurate. As always, YMMV>.

• So yes, I'm surprised in that the camera has been out long enough for some quality reviews and yet it's pretty bleak.

Things you ask is costly to do properly (also needs proper testing procedures and experience) and require guys with good knowledge (who are also not cheap).

• @brianl my point was that a digital connection would bypass the internal, low quality ribbon connectors on any kind connector. However, my experience, fwiw, is that the connector itself makes no difference at all, it is how it is soldered. OF course I use XLRs on my Tascam 680, but I would love it if a company like Samsung, or anyone else, would build a 4 channel, 24 bit recorder into the cam--Samsung has the R&D to do it. Hoping the price drops on this cam before the summer.....