Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • BTW, if any one knows a way to enable focus peaking in the EVF during video recording - please let me know... Thanks!

• Updated Audio with auto gain off!

Histogram & Digital Level is displayed during standby / recording mode

Holy.. very glad I've stuck with them. Also the 4K mode readout speed is improved.

• Full UHD 4K in 60p.

What this means?

• On initial testing I've also found the low light in 1080p is significantly better, usable to 3200 ISO.

• Vitaliy, I read it wrong, I thought it meant 60p in UHD, but it's just improved video quality in 1080p up to 60 fps.

• http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3706732844/samsung-releases-nx1-firmware-update-with-improvements-for-both-photo-and-video

"Count Up: Rec run / automatic restart when shooting / Free run"

That looks like a really big thing for me!! I'd have much rather wished it got rid entirely of the video time limit, but that is the next best! :-D

Could somebody test this out for me?

Also remind me, the NX1 does still have focus peaking and focus assist and histograms will recording?

• I can confirm histogram is now working while recording. Peaking is still not available while recording with adapted lenses.

• "Added NEW MF Responsiveness mode (Capable of setting to Low, Medium, High focus angle in manual focus mode)"

Is this what I think it is? Ability to customize focus throw on lenses? :) Might invest in some samsung glass now!!

Here's a quick test of the RS in 4K. Definitely improved.

The 120p mode now records simultaneous audio and is a much higher bitrate. I think the 1080p 24 mode is improved as well, but need to test it more.

Also: -Remains in Stand By mode after recording So simple, but so beautiful to see :)

• Peaking is still not available while recording with adapted lenses.

Darn!! Why Samsung, why!

• "Peaking is still not available while recording with adapted lenses."

Sure it is.... just press the up arrow to turn on the display on the LCD and then press the focus peaking icon just under the audio level icon on the left. You have to have focus peaking enable in the menu as well prior. As this is only icon accessible it is not currently possible with the EVF during recording or standby record. You can enable it during photo mode by press OK button in the center for dial and have peaking appear in the EVF, so it seems it Samsung is making this choice for whatever reason. I really wish they would let use Key Mapping to enable focus peaking in record mode, but you currently can't Key Map focus peaking or what we need which is Standby/Record Peaking in Key Mapping - I believe...

• @geoffcbassett

What exactly is the improved video quality in 1080 60P? Is it a higher bitrate option for compression, or is it actually a better picture (ie. finer detail, no aliasing from line skipping)? Better yet, could you post a sample?

Thanks.

• Better 1080p. They increased the bitrate ( from 60 mbps to 80 mbps), it downscales from a larger source, seems to have less aliasing, and far FAR better low light performance. It retains detail and has noise, it no longer turns into mush. I'll post a test when I get out of work.

• @geoffcbassett Is this for up to 60p only, or up to 120p?

• fw 1.3 vs 1.22 bitrates:

• I look to this, look oo new Panasonic Castrate G7, look again at Samsung.

• FHD si now amazing - detailed and sharp, but there is some aliasing (you can see it right on the build): http://ikt.sk/nx1-fw133-1080@60p.png

• "Includes the 4 most popular Pro Suggest presets (Cinematic, Memories, Gorgeous Night, and High Speed)"

Anybody knows where this feature is? Thank you.

• Post 1.3 slo-mo test:

Shot at 1080 120p, 80Mbps, slowed to .25, rendered at 1080 30p.

• I ran around run and gun for 9 hours yesterday with my NX1 on a Ronin with the 16-50 f2-2.8, and I have to say the autofocus on this combo is obnoxiously good. It just works.

My only remaining complaint with the NX1 is there needs to be a good log/low contrast mode, because when I reduce saturation or contrast settings, nasty stuff happens to the recorded image. It sure seems like there's more DR in the sensor that they're not harnessing.

• Hopefully the bitrate bump is a sign of log coming soon.

I'm about to jump off the black magic bandwagon for Samsung

• Just ordered the NX1. Now I'm debating do I adapt my Sigma 18-35mm or sell it to get the Samsung 16-50mm.

• Now I'm debating do I adapt my Sigma 18-35mm or sell it to get the Samsung 16-50mm.

It depends if you need OIS and fast native AF.

• the prospect of usable AF opens up a lot of possibilities for a one man band gimbal work. i really like my 18-35mm lens but i'm thinking if I might not miss it on the wide end of the 16-50 at 2.0.

• Both Samsung Pro zooms are really good.