Personal View site logo
RJ Lens Turbo m43 adapters
  • 782 Replies sorted by
  • @nomad @kurth

Please with this questions to PM or FD to m43 adapters topic.

• @ Vitaliy

This relates because someone said the fd version RJ had aperture adjustment. but if you insist, can you then repost my last post to that thread so at least nomad can read it -thanks

• @brianc1959 : whoops! well tanx for correcting that...

• @ Vitaliy Yep....the RJ has the lock-open ring ...just like all the other adapters for fd lenses. You screw the lens on until it snaps into place, and then you move the lock ring in the correct direction. It also has the pin which engages with the lens lever so the aperture can be adjusted on the lens. As is obvious...it doesn't have any aperture adjustment ring. Beautiful and simple makes for good design principle. Wish the eos/m43 had aperture control cause those are the lenses I own, outside of fd and m43....but a vnd is a simple solution esp. for the 17-40. I think RJ has done a great job of releasing the fd/m43 at a third to a fourth of the metabones price. Next time I'm north of the rio bravo, I'll get the fd and probably the eos as well !

• OK great. So does it make sense to go cannon fd and adapt to nikon (as Nikon mount really doesn't adapt much due to flange distance?) Has anyone had success with Nikon g - FD - RJ ?

I'd like to also use MD, and Pentax with it.

• @ICProductions You want to adapt nikon to FD to RJ in EF? That doesn't make any sense.

FD has a much smaller Flange Focal Distance and needs corecctional glas elements which usually destroy the quality.

The Nikon RJ Adapter can change Nikon G lenses' apertures, the EF one can not change anything, only passive.

• @kurth Is that lock-ring that I was talking about. If you put the lens in fully close position with the adapter in the "Lock" position, and slowly turns the ring towards the "Open" position, the aperture blades on the lens will open gradually also.

It's not a proper aperture control ring, with hard stops / markings, or (like in some adapters) having aperture blades in the adapters, but it kind of works.

• @MarcioK

Honestly mate, I don't know where you're going with this. All that then does is make the lens aperture ring completely unusable...defeating the design and intended purpose of the adapter, whether it's the RJ or any other adapter, normal or focal reducer, which is to allow you to use the lens the way it's was purposely designed ! That locking ring is there for a purpose. It's not an aperture adjustment ring or anything intended to be used as such. It's intended design purpose is to engage the lens to fool it into thinking it's actually on a fd camera, allowing the lens aperture ring to work properly. And it won't do that i.e. open the aperture on an eos lens, which is the RJ adapter that doesn't have any adjustment. Only on manual lenses that already have aperture rings made for that exact purpose. If you want de-clicked aperture adjustment, you can pay for a service that does just that, or there's some instructions online that explain how , if you're mechanically inclined. And as a final note, I would imagine , once being a mech engineer, that repeated and habitual use of the lock ring for disengaging the lens aperture adjustment, would theoretically loosen it's tightening capacity, which would eventually make the adapter useless. Obviously that would be more expensive for the focal reducers like the RJ. But everybody to their own way of working.

• @ICProductions "(as Nikon mount really doesn't adapt much due to flange distance?)"

-on the other hand Nikon F/G mount lenses can be adapted to an EOS camera

• @kurth Actually, when I first starting using adapters I did exactly what @MarcioK is talking about with the cheap adapters I bought off of Ebay. Not perfect but it worked without a hitch.

• @CameraRick I think I've been confusing FD and EF.

EF is the cannon mount lacking aperture control, correct? But is that the same one that can easily be adapted to? (Nikon to EF to RJ, Pentax to EF to RJ, MD to EF to RJ?) Are you saying the FD to RJ mount won't adapt well to these?

Also - Please confirm this. The Nikon Mount can't be adapted to from those mounts, correct?

I'm just trying to hedge my bets and invest for the future. I think I'm leaning towards just going all nikon, but of course don't want to be pigeon-holed either.

• @ICProductions MD can not be adapted properly to EF (just like FD). The FD RJ Lens Turbo will be great for FD Lenses, but not for anything else. You can not adapt anything to Nikon usually.

So if you want the safest mount to get the most mounts adapted on, EF could be it.

Personally I use a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 in Nikon Mount on the EF RJ Lens Turbo, with an Adapter that maintains aperture control. You can see that setup in some posts in this thread. Works great!

• @CameraRick Perfect that's what I wanted to hear :)

• Do not stack adapters guys.

• @vicharris I'm with you that this is not always a good idea. Get quality adapters (maybe not the cheapest ones) and it works flawless. Using Nikon to EF, OM to EF, M42 to EF and Pentax to EF on this Lens Turbo so far, and works flawless. So what.

• Well, great to hear it works for you. Just a caveat to others: stacking adapters means adding up tolerances in manufacture. Can lead to more play or even tilt, which would make your image softer on one side. If you buy cheap adapters, this is a real problem, I experienced it when adapting Minolta MD in two steps.

It's more critical with wides, BTW.

• You could always add tape or better calibrated peel tape to take up the play. This kind of stuff/trick has always been used for ajustemenst in mechanical engineering. I do it on my cheapo adapter and I don'th have any issues!

• Everyone, read this here: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

Morality: stacking adapters is a really bad idea and, no, tape won't fix it.

• Everyone, read this here: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

We had discussion about it.

If you ask me, I think it is flowed article as company who made it is extremely interested in outcome so you'll rent lenses from them, and pricy lenses. I am sure numbers are accurate is some part, but most probably adapters, lenses and test methods were specially selected to exaggerate flaws.

Of course it does not mean that you must stack adapters, it is really not best idea until you have no other solution.

• So if I don't have play and can focus from near to infinity, what exacly is the problem to adapt with multiple adapters (aside the fact I can not get a lens Turbo in any mount I neeeded)?

The distance scale on modern lenses is usually of a very high tolerance anyway, and I seriously wouldn't use them. Even on MF Lenses they are most likely never really accurate. So as long as I can reach infinity, and have no wobble and no soft-sides, I don't see a problem. I mean, I have this setup right now, at home, and it works - while people who don't have their hands on try to say it will suck.

• @CameraRick As mentioned before I stack adapters too and I carefully check results. If I like the results it's fine by me. I also glue small ND8 filters in adapters and switch adapters to compensate for exposure. I believe it has a lot of advantages against ND or vari-ND on the front lens. It's cheaper and fits every lens. I use Heliopan 40mm ND8 and have less problems with reflections caused by front filters or the vari-ND polarisation effect. Only problem with superwide 11-18 lens is that the distance scale changes and I can't focus up close anymore. I will experiment with placing the ND closer to the lens than the camera sensor. See if that helps. With an 35mm up to 400mm+1.4x TC I can focus all the way.

Is there room for a ND filter in the RJ and does it affect image quality? You can also glue in a stepup ring and switch ND in the adapter so you don't need two RJ. This is not a fast solution.

• I also noticed the minimum focus distance seem to be affeced on wide lenses... particulary visible with my 14mm

• The RJ fd adapter, like normal fd adapters , has the engagement pin. The eos doesn't. I think that's a great solution for those with nikon AND eos lenses. What ever works. Otherwise, I think you buy the correct RJ mount. It's not like they cost $400 ! I don't think stacking adapters is anymore risky than using adapters in the first place, as long as the visual results are suitable. And I don't think there's any extra room inside the focal reducers for placing an nd. Now ...the only particular problem is how to change fstop on eos lenses with the RJ eos adapter ? The only problem with using vnd's is your stuck with the lens aperture open. I'm thinking along these lines -

http://store.lensbaby.com/products/Replacement-Magnetic-Aperture-Set.html

ps...the company that releases an eos to m43 focal reducer with aperture control will sell a load !