Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic G5 topic
  • 264 Replies sorted by
  • I was shocked to find out that the 30p bit rate was only 17Mbps as opposed to the 60p which is 28Mbps. I don't know how I missed that point in all the reports of the camera. Also that the 30p provides long record times but the 60p is limited to 29:59. I don't know why they did that.

I'm curious if anyone else ever records 60p with a 1/60 shutter? I did and it looks fine at 60p. I didn't notice any increased motion blur on the LCD. Maybe i'm just doing something wrong.

• Nice to read that the G5 is still being loved - a couple of months back I bought one from Panasonic referb in the UK with the 14-42 PZ X lens and think it was a real bargain at £295. I'm using the Panasonic lens adapters with it, a fisheye, wide-angle and macro also bought from the referb shop for a bargain £109 and are great fun. The (probably) less useful tele adapter which only cost me £29 new from some ebay store works fine but is a bit something and nothing. The whole kit fits in a tiny bag and weighs next to nothing, which is what I really wanted!

• I recently picked up 2 G5's with 14-42 kit lens from Amazon for $244 each. great little deal and they're in perfect condition and I must say a really nice little camera. It's not the best in terms of all the features you get with a G6 or GH2 etc., but for the price it's a really great image. I already have a GH1 which has been serving me well. It's SUPER light weight. I like the grip better than the GH1. It's a really cheaply made body, but if you don't bang it around it should be fine. I'm super gentle with all my cameras anyway.

I used the Tamron 17-50mm with RJ Speedbooster and it works well. Haven't tried my Minolta 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f2 yet but i'd assume they'll work just great based on what i'm seeing so far. I leave it set to Natural -2-2-2 and NR at 0. Haven't tested other settings yet. Haven't had any time to do any test vids. If I get some time I'll do something.

If you don't need the 24p it's a good option. 30 and 60P is very useful for my needs which are local TV shows, Commercials, Music Videos and Weddings. It would be amazing if this camera was added to the Hack program. It's already got some good features and just needs that little extra stuff to make it a great low cost option. The prices seem to be still dropping so look out for it.

• I didn't mention... I am completely satisfied with this camera, and I have no regrets about not buying the G6 for double+ $$$. As an all-around camera, this is perfect and priced to jump back into M4/3 (I was an early GH1 user).

• Just picked up a refurbed G5 with kit lens for $300~.

My only complaints:

Lack of manual video obviously, but vintage lenses + auto ISO is not bad.

Auto Bracket exposures can not be used with the self timer. And..

The shutter needs held down through all the shots. If you release the shutter button at shot 2, and you move your scene, it will continue to take shot 3 causing you to reshoot. Even my original Canon Rebel would shoot 3 brackets with 1 press.

The only way to get -3/+3 EV is to use 7 shots, when 3 is standard and sufficient. Opening up custom AEB settings would be amazing.

Yes I like HDR.

I will donate for any added functionality.

• @Aria, you're right. G5 is very good camera for good price.

• Hi to all This is my 2 last airvideos with G5 The real quality is much better.....

• @gene, I actually don't mind the limitations of the G5. Still a very good camera for very little money. I've been on a mission to find the best and cheapest cams out there and the G5 is one of them. There are a lot of bargains out there that people overlook cuz of all the new fancy cameras out there. I still use a GH1 and I have a Canon 50D with Magic Lantern RAW. Just bought a Sony NEX 3N for under $150.00. I've been learning a lot about how best to use these cheap cameras. I just missed getting a G5 for under $200.00. If I see another opportunity i'll snatch one up.

• I used it for shooting without moving. When contents of frame changes very slightly. But for reporting autoiso is good, working like videocameras. I guess g6/gh2/gh3 for video must be much better.

• @gene, i'm considering getting a G5 and I wonder your opinion of the G5 auto ISO and how it handles for you. It's my guess that so long as you can keep shutter locked and using Manual lens control Aperture, the only thing to consider is how well the G5 adjusts ISO. What's your experience so far?

• radioman, thank you. It's working. I can tell : I use manual lens and antiflickering mode 1/50, 1/60, 1/100, 1/120 - almost manual :)) but no iso control.

• to lock the exposure on a G5 you want to enable the mode iA+ and once to turn the wheel. now you can shoot against the light without reducing exposure. it is a pity that there is no manual control. but I'm still happy. :)

• Thanks 586x

I have try and it works but when start recording in any mode i have black screen. This is only good for photos. I will try the same with HDMI and will see.....

Thanks Again

I try it with HDMI no success...

• Now that GH4 has been announced and on its way..

Could we at least try the Manual Video Controlling features found in G3/GX1 Cfm? I'm starting to wonder if Panasonic is threatening Mr.Vitality with a lawsuit...... I mean, if that's not the case, a lot, a lot of G5 users(including myself) are ready to contribute.

sakiskoz i like your movies =)

You might know this but G5 has the capability to output the liveview via AV, although it stops when you start the recording(not sure if that's because processor cannot handle the task) I haven't got an AV cable for my G5 so cannot confirm but i've read pressing the trash button a couple of seconds turns the feature on.

• Hello to all I use g5 for aerial Video and Photos I really need live preview from AV or HdMi. I want to know if G5 hacked can support the live preview or i must change the camera. This is test flight

Thanks

• From a technical standpoint how different would the hacking process for G5 be different than the others already done? GH2, GF1 etc. Is there any R&D notes that could be leveraged and shared for others to attempt? Seems the potential of price/performance for G5 would be appealing to many.

• Hello Vitaliy. I want to hack the firmware G5, interested in adjusting the exposure when shooting movies, share your experience or where to start? Thank you.

• Very beautiful skin-tone! Seriously, JPEG out from the camera really great, better than GH2.

P1010026 small.JPG
    1366 x 2048 - 167K
  • A test video shot with Panasonic G5 and Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye f3.5

• @trevmar

All such posts go to Deals topics only. We have such deal info present for quite a time :-)

• G5 with kit lens on Amazon for $299...

• Hopefully if G3 is eventually hacked then a future G5 hack could be easier. I just picked up a used G5 for around $200. Depending on what features could be added, a hacked G5 could approach the GH2 for less than half the cost.

• I can wholeheartedly recommend the G5! Great budget camera, with good ergonomics and great image quality. I also have a GH3 but actually prefer the lighter and more compact G5 for taking pictures, even though the GH3 offers a slight advantage in image quality...

• which one would be better for an entry camera for a beginner in photography, the g5 or the canon t3i? thanks so much!

• Dear G5 users I have a severe problem with image storage on my G5. We wanted to use several G5 to take time-lapse series of animal colonies. Time lapse should be taken with 1 picture / minute. To save energy, we turn the camera OFF after every single picture, and back ON before the next picture, by cutting off power supply. So far everything works. After the first folder is filled up with 999 images, the camera makes a new folder, but this time only stores one image in that folder, and then makes again a new folder. This goes on and on until there are 999 folders with only one image, limiting the total amout of images that can be taken to 1998. This is rather disappointing. I suppose that is a problem that the "current folder" setting is only stored if the camera is turned off properly, and not by cutting power.