Personal View site logo
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • @robertGL

Tech specs for "Just the tip"

50D shooting 3:2 aspect ratio, The resolution was 1584X1024 (or close to that, I can't remember off the top of my head) 50mm Nikon AiS f 1.8 taking lens Bolex 19/8/1.5 anamorphic lens Converted in c2ndg Graded in DaVinci Resolve with Captain Hook LUT.

• @OzNimbus Thanks - it was great! @Aria I'm in the same boat.. haven't really messed with it yet, but I finally got a 32gb komputerbay 1000x card.. I rigged up a SLA battery as well so that it has a lot of juice..

the 1080p window is roughly 9mmx5mm I think.. so around 2/3" sensor size.. unfortunately it's not capable of mounting the smaller 16mm or machine vision lenses .. maybe a PL mount adapter would work, but too much money just to experiment..

Unless I'm wrong, it seems like workflows have done a lot to minimize moire.. I personally want to shoot uncropped mostly, for the benefit of the larger sensor area

• Another good example of ML RAW on the 5DMKIII.

• Another good example of ML RAW on the 5DMKIII

@driftwood indeed!!!

interview with Tom at newsshooter

I like the Captain's motu If the engine's not broken then don't tamper with it

• @maxr Read. It was an early release - pre-multi buffers being unlocked. As for me, I have not had one single problem with the 5DMKIII at 25p and 24p modes and 1920x1080 - no dropped frames etc...

• @driftwood believe my friend I always read before make others read, this is true... also before pasting it had given some thought 'cause in a way would be "unfair" to ML wonder progress IF this extract from one guy experience's interview is read as the only one or without its context: being early release. Anyway I am totally forward world rawrization option XD if just we could advance so in other aspects. Chiiiiirs

• Check out what I've been able to get out of the 50D so far.. I'm loving the look and filmic texture and cadence, I have a music video coming up next month & I'm playing with a couple looks let me know what you guy's think cheers. @Aria @robertGL @driftwood @maxr @OzNimbus

• @TrackZillas, I haven't really done much myself in the way of testing. I like what you did with the color. The only thing that caught my notice was the Moire. Have you tried using the 5x Crop mode? Also did you apply any sharpening. I think 50D footage actually could use just a light bit of sharpening. It's got a very naturally soft look to it. It's going to take a while before a nearly perfect workflow is worked out for the50D, but in the end I think it's going to be totally worth it.

I'm also still trying to figure out what lenses i'm going to go with. It's gonna take a lot of testing to see just which lenses work best for the look I want to get.

• @Aria Thank you it's was a long road getting use to the 50D, but like you said it's going to be well worth it. I'm really falling in love with the 50D Filmic look, got a couple workflows that I'm trying out @ the moment to maximize the sensors output & the color process has a lot to do with it.. massaging the colors. Yeah moire is a problem & a hurtle but there are ways around it. I didn't sharpen @ all, I love the softer look but you right just a tiny bit of sharpening wouldn't hurt. I haven't yet because you need super wide angle lens because of the 3X crop factor. @ me whenever you upload some footage.

• @TrackZillas that looks filmic allraich!! I personally like this darkish pastel colour palette you're showing, also lovelly texture of grain and, again for me, makes sense with the light diffused images (probably also lens). It has soul ;-)
    Now shoot awaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

PS
    would you be kind enough to tell how you compressed vimeo upload? chank you

• Thank you @maxr appreciate it.. that's the exact look that I was going for, personally I think that look yields the most filmic output from the 50D sensor if done right. Yeah the Grain stood-out and kept it's texture, it's a custom grain that I tweaked. As far as the vimeo compression settings goes I kept it real basic..

-H264 -HD TV 720p 23.976 -Video Tab (Bitrate: Low 16 - High 20 Max) -Checked Maximum Render Quality (Very important to hold grain structure) -2 Pass Render (Really important as well) -Check other two Render options for max render quality (It's going to be slower but worth it)

If you need my custom grain let me know I'll shoot you a link to download Cheers..

GOD Bless

• @TrackZillas That is some really nice filmic footage. Totally agree with @maxr If that video was a clip from a feature film or narrative short you were shooting, I would have no problem falling into the alternate reality of your story visually. I think this looks better than what's coming out of the BMPC right now @ less than half the price.

Sorry, this might be mentioned already in this thread but if you get a chance, what is the highest resolution you can sustain recording at 24p on the 50d and what memory cards are you using? Thanks!

• Aspettando la morte - Vost French 5dmIII RAW Documentary trailer

• I Finally surrender to the enemy : 5D Mark III + Raw by Magic Lantern the 14 bits dynamic is crazy. Here's my first test :

(I still have my GH2...)

• @Wilbo Thank you so much appreciate it, glad that the footage captured you visually. I had a BMPC on order since day one, but after seeing the footage, and trying out the 50D I was sold on the 50D. The BMPC footage is really nice don't get me wrong, only problem I have with it is the cadence think it lacks that filmic motion it's just my own opinion... but it's bigger brother BMCC is on of the most filmic cams around. If you trying to save and don't mind the workflow 50D is a winner.. The Highest resolution currently is 1584 x 1058 normal shooting & 2000 x 884 or more I think on 3x Crop mode. You do need a fast card for continuous recording I'm using a Komputerbay 64GB 1000X hope that clarifies things for you cheers.

• @TrackZillas I totally agree. The BMPC has potential, but the it just doesn't look as "filmic" as it's big brother... or even the hacked 50D. I think the non-crop resolution is pretty solid on the 50D considering normal 1080p h264 video from Canon dslrs only resolves about 720p. Cards will be expensive though... thanks for the info!

Yeah, I canceled my BMPC pre-order and jumped on a great bundle deal on a BMCC with 480GB SSD but I think that purchase is on back-order, so now I'm thinking about other options while I wait, such as your 50D... or I could just really hold my horses for a while cause the GH2 is still pretty darn awesome :)

• Here is my comparison between H264 and Raw with the 50D. I shot underexposed in a lowlight situation with 800 ISO, so noise is evident. But I think you need extreme situation to clearly see differences.

• @ghostlayer nicely done! What was your workflow like?

• @muddmanrich 5D .RAW > Raw2DNG > DNG sequence > DaVinci Resolve Lite > clips set to "BMD Film" in Resolve then I applied various LUT (please see the links I have mentioned on Vimeo) it also requires some fine tuning. The most difficult is to get a correct LOG/flat from DNG. (as Cinestyle wont apply)

• italian stlye: man sitting lazy on couch woman doing cooking (Sorry for off topic, I could not resist g)

• @ghostlayer that looks great, and coupled with the music kind of works as its own little piece and not just a RAW test. What card did you use?

• @digger thank you. I use Komputerbay 64 Go X 1000 Card that are said to be the best yet affordable cards. (twice cheaper than Lexar)

• @Wilbo The 50D is a solid camera.. great choice by getting the BMCC instead of the BMPCC more bang for your buck that's my next camera. For time being I'm all 50D and my awesome GH2.. It would definitely be a great option for you while you wait for your BMCC, most importantly to get your feet wet with Raw learning the workflow. Let me know if you decide to get the it so I can welcome you to the 50D club :)

• I just can't recommend getting a 50D highly enough. It's so cheap for the chance to play around with RAW recording and Magic Lantern is making it better and better every day. Moreover it's a really terrific camera. So solidly built. The talk now is that Mosaic Engineering is making a 50D VAF Anti Aliasing filter and that would be awesome. Overall it's still a developing story, but you can actually film with it right now, just not as conveniently as more mature systems. But you can't beat it for under $500.00.

I've been testing with my Minolta Rokkors and actually the adapter I bought is better than the one I had for my GH1. Got lucky with that.

• @peaceonearth: nice one, it made me laugh! actually they are both friends of mine, and she's a good cameraman (or camerawoman?), but better than me at cooking!