Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • @ghostlayer: I simply convert with raw2cdng.exe, config Davinci camera raw config with Project-cinemadng-project/as shot/BMD/BMD with recovery highlights on and they are good for color correction without any LUT applied.

• @jazzroy thanks for sharing your workflow. "BMD film" brings a LOG aspect to the footage, usually LOG footage are to be graded using LUT (at least on the long feature films I have worked on) For like 4 years now, flat looks became trendy looks (Cinestyle,Prolost Flat, Marvel Cine, Flaat), and many DSLR filmmakers and colorists have considered it almost as a final look/grade (super desaturated and low contrast) whereas it was made to prepare footage before applying the proper LUT. (often contrasty with real deeps blacks) Anyways Color Grading deals with personal taste a lot.

• @ghostlayer damn, that 5dmk3 footage is looking good :)

@Aria and @TrackZillas Man, I would really like to join the 50D club... really need to think things through (money wise)... really enticing :)

-W

• @Aria So which adapter do you suggest for the Minoltas on the Canon APS-C cameras like the 50D?

• @Wilbo Take your time..

• @ghostlayer

The most difficult is to get a correct LOG/flat from DNG. (as Cinestyle wont apply)

Yeah likewise. I've found that setting the clips to "BMD Film" helps, but it is still not a totally LOG/flat image and adding a LUT like Hooks or Hunters often makes the footage look overly red and saturated. So you tweak it further before adding the LUT or after? I have the 50D so I'm sure it's not completely the same in regards to grading but any tips help as I am pretty new to Resolve. I look forward to seeing more of your footage!

• @ghostlayer: Yes I know, flat profiles should be the way to go, but the direct import with this settings is already quite more flat than the original look, allowing a fair amount of color correction. I think the ranges it brings in the scopes are enough for my color correction needs. :)

• @muddmanrich I am pretty new to Resolve too. I've asked Juan Melara (http://juanmelara.com.au/) here's his answer to "our" question : +++++++ If you are using the BMD Film setting, I wouldn't apply the log LUT. Using BMD Film is the exact setting you should be using. It is getting your footage into log gamma space. Any difference you are seeing between shots is because the exposure is different. This happens to footage from all cameras.

If you still have too much contrast try removing it using the contrast/pivot control under the log colour wheels. Or try balancing it out by using the log or lift gamma gain colour wheels. ++++++++

I haven't had time to try but I'm pretty sure I'll follow his advice (his blog is awesome on color grading) he also provides LUT

• @ghostlayer makes sense, I'll give it a try as well. Tks.

• @muddmanrich you're welcome. Also keep in mind that Hunter's LUT is not a rock-solid industry standard LUT, it's nice but kind of "home-made" and Beta. (my god, it's creator will hate me right away :)) it is more Videoish than filmic (mimic Alexa Rec.709) You may try LUT from Juan Melara blog or others LUT straight coming from Industry DI Lab (ok that's the hardest to get... especially in Europe where Lab are totally Paranoïd with sharing their LUTs)

• (my god, it's creator will hate me right away :))

Haha, i'm sure you'll survive. Juan Melara's LUTs you referred to are the ones found under this link?

http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emulation-luts-for-download/

• @thepalalias, the Minolta to EOS adapter I use it this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF-Confirm-Minolta-MD-MC-Lens-Canon-EOS-EF-Adapter-/170854913001?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item27c7bf13e9

I must say that it has a very nice and snug fit. Seems to work well. I haven't compared it to any other make, but it seems to be doing a good job. I have this adapter, the 50mm 1.4 Rokkor X and an Anamorphic lens on the 50D and it all hung on there pretty well. Of course i'd suggest a lens support, but even without it I wasn't noticing any issue with the adapter.

• Ive been working (still am) on a LUT for the ML RAW DNGs match for my DELL U2713H and the U2413 14 bit programmeable LUT monitors. Its a very difficult and time consuming task. Huge range in the matrix which needs constant refinement. Hunters is good but I tend to agree its a little bit too 'bright' in the highlights and contrasty colours (but it could be the montors) - I prefer a classic film print look and I've been comparing countless LUTs in Resolve in an effort to make one which works with my grading/setup.

• @driftwood looking forward to it! Thanks for taking the time doing something that I'm sure tons will benefit from. Cheers!

• @driftwood Great news Nick ! I'll be definitely looking for your LUT. Yet the "BMD Film" + little contrast fine tuning is really nice. I agree that Hunters is really bright. (too bright) It seems more a "glamorous wedding films" LUT that Cinema LUT. (to my eye)

• My komputerbay 32gb 1000x card got corrupted almost immediately after putting it in my 50D. I'm suspecting my card reader did it in.. what kind of card reader do you have?

• @robertGL I spotted the 64 Go Komputerbay x1000 which are said to be the best. and its great so far. Yet I have a different camera (5DMKIII). My CF Reader is Lexar USB 3 (CF+SD) which is really fast (as long as you plug it to a native USB 3 slot)