Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • 12-35 and 35-100 will probably be the killer kit for this camera. I'm curious about whether the upcoming Lumix 42.5mm f/1.2 has OIS...I'd assume it would have to. That could be one to watch as well (though obviously not for bare handheld).

• @TrackZillas I agree, it depends on the look you want. If you like 'soft cinematic', the Pocket is very high quality straight out of the cam, and the detail is there. If you prefer sharper, a little sharpening should tighten that up nicely.

I think we'd all be shocked to see 100% unsharpened footage out of the GH2.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just your insight on how the images look, and sharpness cause it's a big discussion about it.

• @matthere @_gl The 14 - 42 kit lens will be my go to now love the way they look on the BMPC. Nicely said "gl" I think those images jump out the screen, and the sharpness is just perfect, It's razor sharp if you ask me more than that will be over doing it.

• @andrevanberlo Yep pana 14 - 42mm was used.

• Remember when they said the BMPCC sensor is too small, and that it would be better to have a bigger sensor to get a 1080p image from basically the scaling down process. This little cam will be unbelievable, what are your thoughts V.K

What you want to say?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Remember when they said the BMPCC sensor is too small, and that it would be better to have a bigger sensor to get a 1080p image from basically the scaling down process. This little cam will be unbelievable, what are your thoughts V.K

• I don't think john's Pocket footage is sharpened right? I know the first one wasn't.

If so you really should try and sharpen a screengrab before complaining it's soft. Cameras like the GH2 always sharpen (it actually heavily oversharpens once you hack it and you cant' disable it) so you can't directly compare it.

• I'm convinced more than ever that the Pocket cant be used handheld without in lens stabilisation of some sort. The jello and softness with the SLR magics was unappealing to me but the sharp contrastly Lumixs ironically looked better, sharp and cinematic.

what's the word on the new 14-42mm x Lens. Can it be used or not? some discussion of having no zoom/ focus ring has confused me.

• @Cde I guess i missed that bit of info, thanks! In that case the 14-42 indeed looks pretty good, gives me high hopes for my 25mmf1.4!

• https_//vimeo.com/66955436
    o jump to Vimeo stream

• That is a nice image from the original 14-42 Lens!

• @andrevanberlo All the shots on the beach were taken with the original Panasonic 14-42.

• @Cde @TrackZillas I think the clips in the John Brawley film didn't use panasonic lenses but SLR magic 25mm and 12mm lenses.

"Yeah your right the Panasonic lenses looks awesome good thing I have my 20mm Pany love that little lens."

"Wow, Panasonic lenses look great on this camera."

• @htinla Definitely.

@km1001

You can use all the lenses you use on GH2, only you'll get a 1.5x smaller field of view. So using a 25mm on the BMPCC would be similar to using a 37.5mm on a GH2

• @Cde Agreed. And saving hours on transcoding is immeasurably beneficial in so many ways.

• @Cde

Thanks for the help :-) I'm a bit of a noob. Is there somewhere I can read about the lenses you can use with it? I have no idea at all about that stuff...

• @km1001

I think the Blackmagic is a no-brainer. Even the Prores is so much better for grading than 8 bit footage.

• @Cde

I just find that sometimes grading is a bit tricky on the GH2 with low light and other scenarios... Grading is certainly what I enjoy most and if I can get a better experience grading the footage this camera produces I'd no doubt switch. What cha think?

• @km1001

Depends on what you're using it for. You can shoot flat Prores with a nice bit rate out of the box, and the dynamic range and color rendition is leaps and bounds better. The sensor is smaller though, and you can't shoot in small compressed codecs.

• The sharpness and resolution is exactly the same as it's bigger brother BMC.

Why it must be different?

• So, does this beat the GH2 is my main question. I'm thinking about selling it for this... thoughts?

• @kevin_kirchman @Cde WOW!!!! I am speechless, are you sure that's the pocket cinema camera, they should change it's name to production cinema camera. The sharpness and resolution is exactly the same as it's bigger brother BMC. Yeah your right the Panasonic lenses looks awesome good thing I have my 20mm Pany love that little lens.

• Wow, Panasonic lenses look great on this camera.