Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • As for me, I didn't question his findings, and the points he touched are true and useful to know. I always follow his reviews with great interest. That is why I was baffled by his awkward attitude towards everything-not-Canon. So now I know I should take his opinions with a grain of salt. I'm more than happy with my Pocket and couldn't care less about "defending" it. The fact he states 'I'm often wrong so make up your own mind' can't prevent me from expressing my opinion. Since he chooses to publicly share his thoughts, the public is entitled to express opinions on them. But again, who cares :)

• @flablo, completely agree. What bothers me is that some people need to call him a paid Canon shill just because they don't agree with his priorities - that's clearly not true. He was always pretty enthusiastic about the GH cams and even shot a GH3 promo video for Panny: http://philipbloom.net/2012/09/15/genesis/

• @_gl I´m used to follow his blog, but it´s becoming less and less interesting. He used to be funny, but since he became some kind of tech celebrity the more biased his "thoughts" are. But more points of view on any subject are always welcome.

• @vicharris I´m curious about the work that you mentioned with the Pocket in pair with RED. Wich RED was used? Thanks.

• @vicharris Great shots of the desert! I´m developing a documentary that partly takes place in a desertic region. I´m towards shooting with the Pocket, mostly after seeing your first video. Any thoughts about working with the Pocket in such environment? Thanks.

• @Cid The Epic was used but just for heavy VFX stuff.

As for the pocket in the desert, mine wasn't used that much but the A cam held up the entire time and it was put through just about any major test besides snow out there. It never failed. The only thing I would do is put some sort of rubber stoppers in the input holes that you aren't using to avoid debris getting in there. If your Doc is mostly controlled I see no problems with using the pocket. Pair it with the Sigma 18-35, a good 50mm and 85mm and you're going to be set. Maybe a speedbooster if you have the money. Also an EVF is needed no matter what. This is something you can not do without. Rear screen is literally worthless in the desert. Oh, and a shoulder rig of course. No handheld with this little guy :)

• @vicharris Thanks for the info, man. For now I just have the lumix 14-140 and a Schneider 16mm. But since I´m still in the early development stage I´ll take your advices and prepare it properly. Thanks a lot.

• @Cid If a lot of your footage is during the day, the 14-140 is fine. Most of the last part of my video was filmed with it because I couldn't waste time changing lenses. You'll need ND even with it, of course. Maybe look at SLRs 12mm for a fast, wide option. It looks pretty good on this camera.

• @vicharris That´s the case, most of my shots will be during the day. The SLR 12mm seems to be a rare find, but I´ll look for it since I´ll have the time. Thanks again!

• @Cid There's a new, better built SLR 12mm coming out. I'll post footage with it in the next day or two from the pocket and 2.5k cams.

• @vicharris Good to know. My Pocket Camera is finally on it´s way to delivery. As soon as I get it I´ll shoot some tests. Thanks.

• Doing some testing today, shooting in raw with a 64 GB card. It will stop recording at 20 minutes and 46 seconds, with a "Card Full" warning at around 16 minutes (which I guess kicks in at 80%). Has anyone else seen this? It seems that the entire card is not used, with around 6 GB free (another couple of minutes.)

• @ahbleza Yep, it's normal and you should never fill the card anyways. That goes for any format like this.

• Here's my latest and greatest. Think this might be the first footage from the new SLR Magic 12mm MKII and of course our pocket in RAW. Little long but hope you enjoy :)

• @ahbleza, they may be doing it to avoid fragmentation and so keep the write speeds consistent (or maybe just keep the writing code simpler).

As a drive runs out of space, all the little fragments that are scattered around become the only place left to write data, so new stuff has to use them & gets really badly fragmented. Same thing happens on hard drives.

• @vicharris

I see quite some distortion when the horizon is high or low. How bad is it with architecture or interiors?

• @vicharris

hmm.. are you satisfied with sharpness? it looks quite soft in general

• SLR Magic 12mm T1.6 vs Olympus 12mm F2.0
    Take a look at this review/test, which really probes the characteristics of each lens:
    http://kanauru.net/main/?p=126

• @nomad There's some there but they way I usually have used this lens in the past it was never a real concern for me.

@peaceonearth I've always been satisfied with this lens and the original one paid for itself many times over on shoots. Of course when it got darker, I had to open the lens up to t2 and it's been pretty known for some time that you need to stop this lens down a little to sharpen it up, things start getting better by 2.8 then by 4 your good but I valued the changing colors of the sky at that point over sharpness and was afraid to switch to 1600 asa on the pocket. I'd rather deal with some softness that grain city. I probably could have sharpened up the footage some more as the pocket shoots soft anyways but liked it where it was.

Also if you see the shots where there's plenty of light at the begging, it rocks and I've always loved this lens for it's flares. That's the main reason it will always be close at hand.

If you check out this promo I did awhile back I used the 12mm about 80% of the time or more and the clients loved it :)

• To be absolutely clear to the never ending stream of 'soft video' commentors: this camera can go sharper than you'll realistically ever need (in RAW). Lens softness and glow aside, you have control of how sharp you want the footage to be in post, so when something isn't sharp enough to your taste, it's because either a soft lens was used or the footage is sharpened to the taste of the person who posted it. That said, ProRes is definitely a little softer and doesn't sharpen quite as well, but is still very flexible. RAW can go so sharp it will make you cringe.

• @JuMo

Well said. I somehow liked it where it was though like always, the original on my 27" LPS monitor looks just fine :)

• I own that lens too but up to now never used with my BMPCC. I know by personal experience what this camera can display therefore my question about sharpness of the 12mm SLR magic

• It's sharp at t4 and beyond. If you don't believe me I have some footage of it from the 2.5K and that'll pretty much end this conversation.

• i have a problem with the bmpcc

What is it??? :x

no color correction..

www.mediafire.com/download/ou4no2sveerramg/Untitled.mp4

Download...sorry poor quality

Raw Firmware 1.51 iso 200 shutter 180 24p Lens Rokinon speedbooster Sandisk 64 95mb Software:resolve adobe vegas..

• @kurt10

You say "no color correction", so it would appear you didn't process the RAW footage. The procedure for handling RAW in Resolve is described earlier in the thread. Go back and read it.

RAW footage may or may not look acceptable out of the camera, but it's not designed to be used without first processing it. If you want the most flexibility in color grading, you need to convert the RAW shots into BMD film log. Then begin the color correction process.

If you want the footage to look acceptable directly from the camera, shoot Prores with the "video" setting.