Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @vapourtrail

Good advice - use Tilta pro rigs topic in Gear for report. And add few photos :-)

• @nomad can you maybe send a link to the "New, metal case, 5.6" monitor, 1280x800 resolution" monitor that works well for you..... could not find it on Ebay...

• I made this short with BMPCC+Oly 12-50. Not very hapy with the image, just acceptable for me. Please, wish me luck!

• So many people keep posting shaky handheld pocket cam footage partly because they don't realize that the IS on the 14-42mm lumix doesn't work with the pocket cam. I love this camera but its barely useable for handheld with image stabilization, nearly impossible without it. I have seen a few, and only a few exceptions from guys using heavier lenses such as the sigma with the speed booster, but you have to have some kind of monster steady hand to pull it off properly. Shoulder rigs, steadicams and monopods are the only real options for shooting on the run without stabilization .

• @trumpetman: I am one of those who was shocked by the shakiness, and not because I was unaware of the IS issue: I did not use the 14-42mm "kit" Lumix (which I know has no IS that works with the BMPCC). I used the 14-42 Vario X Lumix, which on the BM site (the FAQ's) listed this specific lens as having working IS. It is one of only two lenses listed with IS (the other is the 12-35mm f2.8) compatible with the BMPCC. I am aware of the rule about an OIS mechanical switch, and the Vario X 14-42 does not have one. I went by what BM said. I was fooled. It is more than annoying, as the clips are otherwise above my expectations in terms of quality. Seems that the 12-35mm f2.8 is the only one with working IS and no focus problem with the BMPCC. The 35-100mm f2.8 (with mechanical switch OIS) is reported to have focusing problems with the BMPCC.

• @Trumpetman - What did people do before IS was commercially available??? I am beginning to think "Modern Day" camera operators must have awful drinking problems and constantly suffer the DTs... I am not going to say anymore on the subject. shakes head

• What did people do before IS was commercially available???

Used big cameras and rigs. It helps :-)

• My point exactly Mr Kiselev, its not the camera at fault here, the rule of thumb as I remember it from my long ago 135 (35mm FF) days was use a shutter speed of 1/focal length to avoid camera shake. These days we probably need to use 1/3(FocalLength) to accommodate crop factor and also convert shutter speed to shutter angle but the point is it isn't the camera at fault it's just a factor of the physics involved.

At the risk of repeating what many have said before me - the camera is just a light proof box with a sensor!

• PS: A steady hand or a good rig helps immensely.

• its not the camera at fault here, the rule of thumb as I remember it from my long ago 135 (35mm FF) days was use a shutter speed of 1/focal length to avoid camera shake. These days we probably need to use 1/3(FocalLength) to accommodate crop factor

This rule apply mostly for still photo :-) You can set very small shutter speed and get horrible result in video.

• Posted some photos of the TILTA rig and more thoughts into the TILTA professional rigs topic:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4384/tilta-professional-rigs-cages-ff#Item_17

** updated with unboxing and assembly video.

• Wow, I am very happy with the BMPCC so far - I did some tests against my GH2 (hacked) and the BMPCC has about 2.5 - 3 stops more in the highlights, and about 1 more in the darks (depending on the ISO of course as this is a dual gain sensor - if you shoot at 200 you do not see so much of a difference). Amazing what images you can pull off. Regarding IS, my 14-140 kit lens works (IS) and also focusing works OK (better than what Bloom has posted - maybe the new firmware had some improvements there). The thing which needs to be remembered, the IS becomes active only after record has started (to save battery) - it then needs another 2 -3 seconds until the image is stabilized.

• Hi guys, here is another night test using the Voigtländer Nokton @F1 I then graded in Resolve and did the cut in Premiere Pro. Thanks for watching and comment if you like!

• @markr041 Do I understand you well and do you say here that the 14-42 X PZ OIS works with the BMPCC? and that the old version 14-45 OIS stabilization via the hardware switch does not? Can people confirm this?

From what I know the 14-140's stabilization works (thanks GMC), if this is the case also the 14-45's stabilization should actually work. If the 14-42 X PZ's stabilization would work this would be really great ..... but you write that you are fooled.... so it does not? Can people confirm this?

By the way, Andrew Reid reports that the old (4/3 not M4/3) Leica Lumix 14-50 2.8-3.5 stabilization works well: http://www.eoshd.com/content/11509/8-cinema-dng-shots-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-raw. I personally like this lens a lot.

@nomad can you maybe supply the link to your seller/the actual 5,6" monitor you bought, many of these Chinese products look very similar... however they are unfortunately often different under the hood.....

• After taxes it's not that much less, even at the current low dollar to the Euro. But my main reason for buying here this time (you know how much I value your special offers, Vitaliy) was the fast delivery and the option to send it back without customs hazzle if it didn't work.

• After taxes it's not that much less, even at the current low dollar to the Euro

I can assure you that difference will be almost the same :-)

• @Nieuw: No, my point was exactly the opposite: Despite BM's claim, the 14-42 X PZ OIS does NOT work with the BMPCC. My video had shaking precisely because when I shot I assumed that lens OIS was working, and it was not. And yes, I can confirm the 14-140mm Lumix lens OIS works, though not very well compared to other lenses in the Canon line that I am used to. You need a lens that can mechanically turn on and off OIS to have OIS work with the BMPCC.

• @cykla Your first shot in that video is amazing! And you live in a very beatiful place, where is it? Thanks for sharing your tests!

• @Cid Thanks for your comment Cid! The place is Lausanne in Switzerland, small town of 200'000 peoples, which is better know for not being a flat city (the least I can say). Using the Nokton 17.5 is really great for shots like the first one: It allows you to change smoothly the aperture without any click with your little finger which is quiet useful in situation like this :)

• Video Test of OIS on the Black Magic Pocket Camera (with music track!)

Shooting with the BMPCC without stability aids and without OIS evidently yields shaky video. How well does actual working OIS eliminate shake?

This short (RAW) video uses the Lumix 12-35mm, at full extension (100mm equivalent) without, and then with, OIS turned on. Just two scenes.

Select 1080p (though that will not affect the conclusion).