Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • As I said previously this week I worked on foundation things.
    Scripts, utilities, basic disassembling (like making few thousands of jump tables, etc :-) )
  • yeah workflow steps would be nice.
  • ooooh... shiny... ;)
  • what is your work flow after shooting with the GH2. Do you have any resources on learning Firstlight to grade?

Thanks
  • Oh okay - I submit - Not as good as an Alexa of course. But mighty close if you can get fast glass, uncompressed HDMI and grade using luts. Get some Luts and using Cineform firstlight I must say the picture is better than half as good as an Alexa......for £1000. Just let me have a better codec and I will show you how awesome this beast is for the indie!!! Download the original if you care. I will upload a high quality encode.

• More like a baby Red in diapers.
  • >Alexa sensor is 23mmx13mm,
    >60 times the price tag is a big deal

Alexa is totally different beast.
    You can make fantasies about how good GH2 will be.
    But Alexa is in another league.
  • 60 times the price tag is a big deal
  • Alexa sensor is 23mmx13mm, gh2 is 19mmx11mm. I dont think its a big deal, 10bit processing is a big deal though!
  • Good as an Alexa Henry? I wish.
    Regardless of bitrates, the sensor is still the sensor surely?
  • >L4SBI, genuine UK cameras have a 'UK Model' sign on the box, by the serial nos. What does yours say?

Mine has a big sticker marked "Panasonic Refurbished Product" but no info about UK version. It does however say it is PAL on the other side of the box. Serial numbers from "refurbished" sticker and the camera match.
  • Hey V - very excited about the project. Will donate soon. the Gh2 is an amazing camera - uncomppromised HDMI is all I really want. If you can pull that off we can use the cheap recorders available now. This camera can look as good as an Alexa!!!!All the best
  • >Where do this clearly named information, especially the comments, come from?

From my head :-)

>Usually comments are not compiled into the code or did I miss something here?

Comments and even function names are not contained in assembled code, of course :-)
  • On the first page of this thread we see some assembler code snippets. The lines contain comments and names of subroutines.

Where do this clearly named information, especially the comments, come from?
    I thought that somebody did a firmware dump but I would not expect anything else than machine code as the product of the dump. Usually comments are not compiled into the code or did I miss something here?
  • L4SBI, genuine UK cameras have a 'UK Model' sign on the box, by the serial nos. What does yours say?
  • @GOODEMPIRE
    What I found strange was that the Panasonic HMC40 camcorder has interval recording (selectable interval, 24fps playback), but the Panasonic GH2 does not.
  • >>>Will it be possible for European models to have 30 frames @ 1080i and 60 frames @ 720p?
    >>It all ready is. Go to setup menu and select video output as NTSC.

>No it isn't. I tried now and even with output set to NTSC, video is captured at 50fps.

I bought GH2 in UK from Camera shop in Scotland. Was sold as "refurbished" but with 12 month warranty. First thing I did when I got camera was change to NTSC because I mostly work with 60 and 30 fps. All footage coming out was at those rates. I never actually checked to see if 50fps works, I just assumed it does, but it does not. I guess I have US version of camera!? I'm not complaining, but I called camera shop and they don't know how it happened. Maybe "refurbished" means grey import... now wondering about my warranty...
  • @v10tdi WOW! That's a great idea! I'm using a Chinese intervalometer for that. I heard that Canons have this feature built in, so it would be really awesome to have it too.
  • Hello Vitaliy -
    Great work, can't wait to see the final product.
    I double-checked the GH2 Feature Want List and didn't see one I would like. I might be looking at an older list, so I thought I'd ask. Under "Stills" features would it be feasible to include "interval recording?" This is useful for time-lapse. For example, snap a photo every _____ (second/minute/5 minute/hour).
    Thanks and good luck!
  • >What is the status with funding for your new GH2 body? do we need to ramp up donations?

I am expecting to get GH2 body soon. So, no problems here.
  • VK,
    What is the status with funding for your new GH2 body? do we need to ramp up donations?

btw, Panasonic recently released low-end consumer Sony BSI small chip pistol camcorders, like old Sanyo Xacti(so Pana are re-badged) but with 28mb 1080i, go figure.
  • >Vitaliy, can you make it possible to change the ISO while shooting video?

I do not know. At least it is not priority.

>Vitally , I know you have had communications with Panasonic....What the heck are their feelings on this ?

I prefer not to talk about this. :-)

>please give us the 25p for the GH2 Pal version

25p, I got it. About 100th time :-)
  • Dear Vitaliy, please give us the 25p for the GH2 Pal version.... all the other cameras I have, got it!!! no way until now to mix the footage... nice camera, but without the 25p I can't use it.
    Stalin is an amazing name for this Hack Project.
    Thanks f
  • Vitally , I know you have had communications with Panasonic....What the heck are their feelings on this ?
    Are they choked at your efforts ?.... or have they made it clear to you if they hack they will pull a GH1 on us and simply not allow these firmware mods with an update . If they are on rev e and you are reversing c how do you know they have not already shut the door?

or do they simply not care as the numbers are so small...If you were in their position what would you do next?(and I mean imagine yourself in their position.and you dont want hacks

cheers
    Larry
  • I'm so excited - been trying out some Nikon and other lenses today, shooting a bit of harp playing in low light. It looks just amazing! I can't wait to see what the hack can do to the video quality. I'm so in love with my GH2 it's worrying!!

BUT....Vitaliy, can you make it possible to change the ISO while shooting video? At the moment, you have to stop recording, but then you don't see the histogram (which I find really useful while shooting). It would save a few button presses to be able to change ISO but I understand if not possible.