Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thank you. I appreciate everything you have done.

• I am not one to complain, but you guys need to stop asking the same question others have asked literally a few posts ago. I am sure Vitaliy heard it the first time. And.. I am sure he will let you know the date when he wants to.

Thanks for the hard work VK. sorry I am a lowly peasant or I would kick in some cash.

• Do not be impatient gentlemen, all in due time. Thank you very much Vitaly Kiselev, Greetings from Patagonia.

• "PATIENCE: minor form of despair disguised as a virtue." ;) Ambrose Bierce
  • @mee - who wrote - "Thanks for the hard work VK. sorry I am a lowly peasant or I would kick in some cash."

You gotta be kidding... If you can afford to use a GH2 you can afford to contribute 5 or 10 bucks. That's just ridiculous. Nobody is asking you to donate $100. 5, 10 bucks. That's a movie ticket. It's called "the power of many".

Now, instead of wasting $$ at your local coffee shop, please do send VK a few bucks. Thanks.

• Just joined (and donated). Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev! Looking forward to v1.1 PTool

• For shure ! Please donate (massively). I did it twice and will do it again soon. One more time, Thank you so so much V.K.!

• hey, guys.. I'm doing a lot of chroma keying lately and I'm dissapointed with the quality I get with most dslr and camcorders that are only able to shoot at 4:2:0 color sampling(space) I've seen what you can do with a GF1 you've manage to make it shoot at 4:2:2 color space. are you able to do it with GH2?? and is it any good? I hope to support this project but I need to know if this feature will be implemented on this firmware :) and one last question.. is custom firmware legal?

• 422 color space is not possible with GH2

• @371desmond

4:2:2 was possible only in MJPEG.

In GH2 (and all cameras since G2) Panasonic rewrote many routines related to MJPEG buffer operations and other MJPEG related things. So, you can turn 422 on, but it won't work properly as despite proper buffers recalculation that we do something no longer work properly.

• edited thanks. that means even a GF2 also won't have this feature? sigh okay, thanks anyway :)

• @371desmond How about luma- (against white or black) or difference-keying? Either of those might work better with the colour space. Not ideal I know.

I can't find it at the moment but I think someone started a topic about keying on personal-view and had some great ideas.

• @Mark_the_Harp thanks. I'll look it up. also, I was wondering have Vitaliy_Kiselev or anyone else ever produce a GH1 custom firmware with abilities to shoot at 1080P and 4:2:2 color sampling?

• @371desmond In my experience it is more about knowing how key correctly, and which software one uses. I remember having actually more problems with some badly lit 422 material, then even with some well-lit webcam footage. Set the lighting correctly, use good software, and you will be just fine... example:

PS: i dont know if that is the right one since i dont have flash here and yt doesnt work...

• what you said is true but I am ready to upgrade. I've used premiere pro cs4 before on a cheap camcorder and it works fine. but some of the works I'm doing now will concentrate on details and movements which will greatly benefit from 4:2:2 color sampling.

• I repost here because I'm impatient :)

"Most of the work had been to add some new features, and support for new firmware and GF2. As well as some preparation for fast GF3 porting."

@Vitaliy_Kiselev This means that with this PTool the GF2 will have Video manual controls?

Thank you in advance

• @THX1965 I am still paying off my GH2, and sometimes come up short for monthly bus fair. When I can donate I will. But please don't assume things about me.

• This means that with this PTool the GF2 will have Video manual controls?

No. Not yet. It is nearest target, but we need to understand how to do it.

• I apologize for having mistakenly posted, but I ran into quite a problem that only today I solved ...... I bought a GH2 on ebay from Taiwan. When I started to run hack I came across the following problem: When clicked on the play button, I was displaying the following message "no valid pics to play." after many attempts and requests for help .............. I managed to figure out what was wrong. Instead of inserting the number 10 I had to insert the number 11 in the increase of release, and renamed the new firmware GH2__V11.bin

• "This means that with this PTool the GF2 will have Video manual controls?"

"No. Not yet. It is nearest target, but we need to understand how to do it."

@Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks!

• Right now all is going quite good with new PTool.
    We moved to beta stage. I hope that soon it'll be released to pubic.

• "I hope that soon it'll be releasec to public"

Dear Vitaliy, could you be more explicit with "soon"? Thank you, sir.

• No news, good news. Maybe this weekend????

• You should be a little bit more patient. I prefer Vitaliy to be working on that than just replying all day long to the same question, if one hour is no news for you, it is good then. What I hope that you don't feel sour if it does not come out during the weekend or even next week.

• Its best to be patient. Vitaliy is doing a lot of hard work on this - he's working flat out I can tell you.