Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • (Damn. Can't delete this.)

• @vicharris I've tried FM 2, but that wa sinconclusive, so I'll play with it tomorrow. And I can appreciate your comment about arguments.

For everyone: I just tried it again, and here's what I have. 32 gig card Extreme Pro (95mbps write speed).

I ran the camera at 24H, and it ran for 3:49 before stopping. That was 00000.MTS, file size 4,194,304, Windows reporting a bitrate of 149Mbps I ran the camera at 24L, and it ran for 5:01 before stopping. five minutes and stopped. That was 00002.MTS, file size 4,194,304, bitrate 113mbps.

So okay, neither setting spans on an Extreme Pro 32gig card. But what happened to 00001.MTS? Did the camera merely skip a file number, or did it munge up a whole file?

• @Brian_Siano You know, I wish I knew. I've gotten into arguments with very hard headed people on this board about it and refuse to get into it again. It's come up time and time again that if you want the best performance out of the larger hacks, get that big card. Since I bought all of mine, I have never had a problem with any hack once the bugs were worked out. Some people might say their smaller cards work, but then others have failures. Have you tried FM2.2 or whatever?

• @vicharris That's starting to seem like the story for the 24H and HBR settings. the only patch I've found that spans reliably is Sanity 5.1, but only on the 24fps 24L setting. Is there a patch that reliably spans at those rates for a 32 gig card? I'd be happy with bitrates in the 40-50 mbps range.

• You need the 64GB card to get the best results.

• Just started testing the Intravenus 2 hack. What kind of spanning are people getting with this one? A brief test this morning has the camera stop recording after a few moments at 24fps, in 24H mode. Using 32gig Extreme pro memory card, 95mbps data rate.

• Allrighty! First project shot with the GH2!

http://waterworksmontreal.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/palace-of-the-end-watch-the-trailer-for-waterworks-march-2013-presentation/

This is a trailer for a stage production of Judith Thompson's "Palace of the End", directed by Robert Langford. He is, by the way, the owner of the GH2- I'm just the tech guy! Due to the nature of the project I cannot embed the video directly here.

Shot with AN BOOM! at 24L, smooth -2 -2 -2 0. ISO 400. Lenses used: Pentax M 50mm f/1.4 and Tamron adaptal2 bbar 80-210 (not an SP!).

Shot in two passes, one with the 50mm and then the zoom so as the actors would be comfortable without having to a lens a foot from their nose.

I did not grade the footage- I was DP/cameraman on the shoot. It was a rush job- shot on Saturday, edited that night, and put online Sunday by Robert Langford. I wanted to help grade, but my own business kept me from doing so as well as the time constraints.

Audio is from camera- using a Sennheiser omni mic through an impedance-matching box. Oh yeah, music is by me (doing it for the production as well).

• I'm so confused with all these new patches guys! I've ben using Boom Cluster V9 and really like the results. Is there really a big difference between this and the new patches (MOON, Cluster X, Spizz, etc). What's going on? PLease help :)

• See also the new Moon patches glsmatt ;)

• Which hack is better Apocalypse Now Intravenus v2 or Sedna AQ1? Thanks!

• A test with my newly acquired Gh2 and 14-42mm kit lens

I briefly tried Sanity 5.1, but the sharp, sterile and aliased look turned me off and I went back straight to 'Apocalypse Now' 444 soft matrix!

Stock with Nostagic vs Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' 12/15 GOP (DREWnet) with cbrandin '444 Soft Matrix' with Standard profile, raw footage straight from the camera. See 3:05 for low aliasing and moire... In HBR mode for both

I took some more footage today, just after dawn and it was beautiful, looked cinematic and film like straight from the camera!

• I like Boom :)

• @maxmontea That's funny. I did the very same thing a long time ago. I thought I was logged on and couldn't figure it out. Drove me crazy! :)

• Thank you @driftwood and @matthere, looks like I just needed to be logged in!

• @gravitatemediagroup: i would also not say that moon kills every other setting. For 24p its my favourite right now, but there are many other wonderful settings, some i like better for their grain, like intravenus1 or valkyrie. But i think 20 posts arguing what is and what is not just makes it harder to oversee and find the necessay informations, because the thread becomes bloated. But in general i agree, people with semi-knowledge giving verdicts also spread a lot of misunderstanding and misconcepts. Maybe you have a suggestion for a minimum kind of knowledge or other criteria that has to be fulfilled in order for people being allowed to post. I could not find any yet for public forums. As there is also only a thin line between knowledge and opinion. In the end this is Vitaliys castle, he decides...

• @aashay I shot mostly rok 35mm, but I did go ahead and shoot 2 clips with the sigma. none are moving clips because I didn't feel like dragging my good tripod along, it's too heavy. and with the BMCC I'm going to have to invest in a serious slider, because the 2 junkers I got now won't cut it lol

• I guess I kinda saw it coming cz @rajamalik.. I do believe your intentions are good but kindly refrain from making superlative comments about everything that varies in matter in days or weeks cause then you are not really giving out helpful suggestions. A little while back you suggested to me that using Sony Vegas would improve my editing experience but I found nothing to support it. It turned out to be a problem of using long gop setting which is more taxing on my PC than say Intra or 3gop setting. Now I use Spizz and I like it a lot. Migrated from FM and gotto say, I'll be shooting my next feature on Spizz or Moon, PS- I also live good 6-7 months of the year in India and kindly don't say things like "Its diff in India" and not elaborate on it. It puts the country in bad light. Granted how things work in India is v diff from how things work in UK but don't let it be an excuse for anything. You just gotto Adapt. @gravitatemediagroup Rok 35 and Sigma 30 please. and some moving shots.

• @mirrorkisser so do you agree that moon trial 4 "kills" every other driftwood creation? because that's where this came about if you didn't know.

if this was your first time visiting P-V, is that the information you would want to be given?

• LOL, funny one .. seems to be a OT-Thread now ^^

• funny, how people can get so personal about cameras, while today 40.000 children in the 3rd world died of starvation.

If that's funny why are you wasting time like everyone else here babbling srs bsnss to the interwebs? Go save them, hero.

• @Mirrorkisser thats a good idea. i removed all of em.

• @ gravitatemediagroup @rajamalik you two guys let us know if you need some more privacy to cuddle :) And jesus, you have fast fingers. I would bet my money on you in any typewriter contest...

funny, how people can get so personal about cameras, while today 40.000 children in the 3rd world died of starvation. My best pal @vicharris and i can tell a story about that...

• @kevintraywick it's tricky, but 90% of it will come down to matching the grade.

are you shooting 50 or 72?

• @MbhuyKo, I'm wondering what settings you've used that match a hacked GH2 with the GH3. I'm shooting both and trying to match Cluster with straight GH3 settings. Have any luck there? Thanks, Kevin