Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic G5 topic
  • 264 Replies sorted by
  • AltairZ, in NTSC ver when you turn on flicker red. to 1/50, you get actual 30p. just doubled. try 1\100 or wait for the hack. Personally I decided to sell ntsc ver.

• Friends, please check out one important thing:

When you turn the VIDEO - FPH mode you get to actually write in Progressive(30p) or Interlaced(30i). According to the instruction must be progressive mode(30p), but my video editor shows that interlace(30i). What the hell ???

• Vitaliy Kiselev - all the best ! to you for your efforts !!!

• @AltairZ

Check previous page of this topic.

• Vitaly kiselev are planning a base modification Panasonic G5 firmware (PAL-NTSС switch, higher bitrate video, >30min video) ? It is minimal, but useful modifications ! :)

• In [Flkr Decrease] - 50 is lost every second video frame !!! Try it yourself record video [Flkr Decrease]-50, and then look at the video editor that comes with the video frames

• Dzhus but why in the mode [Flkr Decrease] - 50 is a duplication of video frames???

• [Flicker Decrease] affects the shutter speed, not the framerate.

• I'm video recording in AVCHD ([PSH] 60p) - is the highest quality available.

Yesterday I recorded a video in a room, the room was installed fluorescent lamps so in 60p mode, it could be seen flashing video, then I turned on the [Flkr Decrease] - 50 and then blinking stops.

But why no honest 50p???

• MP4 or AVCHD ? 50p output is only in [PSH] and [SH]

• I have the NTSC version Panasonic G5. Friends, I found on my Cameras problem (bug):

If I set the mode [Flkr Decrease] – 50 , Panasonic G5 writes doubled 25 frames per second, but not 50! This is seen in the video editor, if flipping the video frame by frame.

It should not be !!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the shit with these duplicate frames, if [Flkr Decrease] – 50

• I had some time yesterday and played around with a G5 at a local shop. This was the first time I actually picked one up, and I was amazed at how light this little beast is. I haven't looked at the stats, but it seeemed lighter than the GF cameras to me ! Also it felt really really nice in the hand. I have big hands too, and although I would have liked it if my pinky finger fit on the grip, the ergonomics are really good and it was more comfortable than my GH2. The size was also smaller than I had realized. I WANT IT !

• +1 gene. That is the only bug I know of ;) A

As for the lack of a mic input, the GH2 has a mic imput I that is a pain in the but, and scares me to use. For professional audio you are better off recording directly into/from the external mic anyways as the quality will be higher from what I understand. It is easy enough to syn audio even with basic edit programs.

• "to find bugs" Bug is no/manual in video.

• I suppose Vitaly can't do anything until Panasonic release a new ver of firmware for G5, is it so? So we need to find bugs in current firmware and report about them to official panny support to speed up the process.

• But G5 hasn't a mic input, or not?

• And can share batteries with the GH2 !!!!

• And unlike the GH3 the G5 has a multi-aspect sensor waiting to be unlocked!

• The other big thing the G5 has is the ability to shoot 1080 60P. No other micro 4/3 camera can do that except the GH3 (and it has all the issues with aliasing and color moire). The G5 doesn't have those problems.

• Maybe we should run around with little stickers that say GH3 Lite, and re-lable all G5's. I think then the masses would come begging for this hack =)

But seriously, yes, it seems to have better potential in some key areas! It also looks cooler than the GH3!! (especially in white IMHO). I wish I had the skills to do the hack, cause I hear a little voice crying out, hack me!!!!

• Agree totally. The G5 should have top priority for a hack.

• +1

... not to mention the greatly reduced size and weight of the G5. Until Panasonic addresses some of the hardware problems of the GH3 (especially the disappointing EVF, not to mention the moiré and aliasing that keeps cropping up in videos posted on the web), I feel it would be a more pressing priority for our community to develop a hack for the G5 permitting manual video control.

• Has been awhile since I tuned into this thread. The G5 has interested me more than the GH3 from the get go. Maybe you guys that have these cameras should start some video comparisons and hype up this camera a bit to get some more users on board with this little beast. I would love to see this camera Hacked, and may very well get one as a B camera before that. Maybe I am crazy, but I feel like if the GH3 and G5 were hacked tomorrow the G5 would create more of a following than the gh3, perhaps if nothing else for the sheer economics.

• I'm really enjoying my recently bought G5. Ergonomics is much better compared to G3 imho. Sadly there's no external mic option. I'd be happy to test any G5 patches should they be released in the future

• is there any chance for G3 manual video control in the future, or the first hack covers all the modifications planned for it?

I am working on it. Again, requires time.