Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • It's been the same style of lens people. All they did was snap on that focus ring. There's no cine vs non cine lens here. As for unsmoothness, mine is fine but I think I have one of the earlier batches. Mine has the slight slack in the body construction but I just live with it now. I've made enough money off this lens where I realized all my bitching was childish and stupid and everyone always love the look.

• I just received my 2nd copy of this lens (first one had play within the lens construction, might have been off the first batch) and recognized some kind of unsmootheness in the focus wheel. I'm not sure if I already read something similar in this post, if so I can't remember the exact page, but I'm assuming this is not a special feature the lens offers? Do your copies out there have all smooth focus rings? Thinking about returning it for the second time and getting less amused every time I receive a bad copy...

@tinyrobot if still of interest: either my seller is trying to trick me or they still haven't solved all their qc issues.

• So people who have the cine version, have many of the problems reported in the first and second batch fixed?

• You want sharp, video like footage, go with the Pany glass, you want some character and soul, go with the others.

I want a lens that's usable in its full aperture range... And as I said outright: "Of course you might have other priorities."

• I've had the PL 25 1.4 and sold it at a good price to fund the SLR 12mm and a couple of other little things. Despite the look and FOV of each lens, where stonebat and vicharris are clear enough, what bothers me more about Panny and Oly glass is focus by wire. For narrative work, where racking focus can be a must, electronic focus becomes a real PITA.

Edit: and yes, this is about 12mm 1.6, which I'm eagerly waiting :)

• Ummm... I don't know about videoish crap or soulish stuff, but SLRMagic 25mm 0.95 seems sharper at 1.4 than Leica 25mm 1.4. But the Leica lens would be sharper at 2.8. Subtlety as usual.

BTW this is a topic about SLR Magic 12mm :)

• None of the SLR's are going to be as sharp as that Pany 25mm. That's pretty much a fact and been stated over and over again. All of those native Pany lenses are much sharper, especially wide open than manual 3rd party glass. Everyone has options here. You want sharp, video like footage, go with the Pany glass, you want some character and soul, go with the others.

• Sure but one can compare f1.6 to 1.4, no? For me it's much easier to work around the difference in focal length than the difference in sharpness.

• Apples to oranges. Why compare 12mm to 25mm?

• I've had the noktor for over a year and I'm not happy with its performance below about f2.0 or even smaller. I need extreme low light performance and for my uses its blurriness and flaring there is unusable. Kinda defeats the point of having a f1.6 lens. I got me a pana leica 25mm f1.4 and it's night and day difference. It gets slightly blurry wide open but is perfectly usable for me. I haven't had the Noktor on my GH2 since getting it. I love the aperture ring on the Noktor but I can do without. The Leica and Noktor are more or less in the same price bracket and for me the Leica is the clear winner in terms of wide aperture performance. Of course you might have other priorities.

• @P13DM I just did that, thanks!

• @daisuke and do you know how I can order the lens with the focus gear? Thanks!

• I don't know about artistic flares but the ugly flare goes away at f2.

• Has anyone noticed any variation in the flare quality between copies? I've seen some ugly, ugly flares in footage and stills shot on this lens. Since I like artistic flares in my work, I am hesitant about this lens.

• @daisuke Thanks a lot! That's very helpful.

• @flaaandeeers Not at all, I was wondering about the same thing a month ago. I emailed Noktor about Adorama having the latest version, and they confirmed they do. I ordered it, and they were right. They have the latest versions in stock. Hope this helps!

• Probably stupid question, but anyone knows if Adorama is selling the "latest" version of this lens? Anyone bought it lately to confirm that copies are quite OK? Thanks!

• @stonebat @vicharris Thanks for info, I'll PM.

• SLR 12mm is nice for close-up wide angle shot. Often it's important angle for storytelling purpose. Its short minimum focus distance is good trait for the shot.

Lumix 14mm is rectilinear and good for capturing architecture.

Horses for courses :)

• @all

Please, check title topic from time to time.

• you guys are quick =) i think i will go with 77mm LCW Fader Mark II, i will let you guys know once I have it, hopefully it will all work out, thanks again Vicharris and Stonebat.

• @jfilmmaker I wouldn't use SLR 12mm for taking buildings. It's not rectilinear. Only Olympus and Panasonic M43 lenses are rectiliner. Lumix 14mm, 7-14mm, M.Zuiko 9-18mm, etc.

• @apix LCW is fine. Usually vari ND filter's lowest and highest ND settings are bad. Use the good middle region to avoid "X" shaped vignetting. e.g. 1~8 vari would be useful around 2~7. That applies to Heliopan filter, too.

@vicharris I heard Fader Mark II improved on tele range. Heliopan is nice. Built like a tank. Order it directly from German reseller site.

• @jfilmmaker This and the Tokina 11-16 are completely different beasts. There's tons of research on this board about the differences. I have both as well as the Tokina 12-24 now and they all have their purpose regrettably :( I'm in LA too if you ever want to try all three out. I'm in Culver by Sony Studios.