Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat, yeah, I can see that now. I put a UV filter in there just to show what a ND plus step up ring plus lens hood looks like. Nice Helio Vari btw. One day I'll grab one.

• @apix Just a heads up, that LCW 77mm Fader is crap past 50mm. I used it on my Rokinon 85mm Cine and an old Nikon 105mm AIS and it turned the footage to shit. I've been trying to sell it on craigslist for a month and can't get rid of it. Think I might use it as a mini Frisbee!! Go for the Genus HD or whatever it's called. There's a good review on it here in the Vari ND thread. Make sure you don't get the base one though.

• Wow guys, this looks cool! Argh! Now I'm confused between this and Tokina F/2.8 for Gh3. Recommendations/perspective with video taken into account? Chromatic abberations an issue or factor between two lenses? I like that Tokina goes to 16mm, but I would really like a wide for night. I'm going to be shooting an art film in LA that relies on a lot of building photography. Thanks!

• Thanks Stonebat, heliopan is a bit out of my price range, maybe I'll get the Light Craft Workshop 77mm Fader ND Mark II Filter =) Thanks for the quick response vicharris and stonbat

• @vicharris Never mind. The perspective distortion made the upring bigger. I got a super cheap one too.

@apix I've used LCW and Heliopan vari ND filters. Both were fine without stacking filters.

image.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
  • Also the SLR has some pretty cool colors and flares to it and I'm not sure if a Vari ND would screw that up with the two polarizers and all. I'll mess with it tomorrow and let you know.

• Thanks @Vicharris for checking up on it :)

• I don't know about a Vari ND, those things are pretty thick. I think you might be playing with fire there. I'll check when I have a chance. I have a LCW and Genuis

• Thanks for the posting the pic vicharris and the link to the step up ring, I am thinking going with Tiffen 77mm Variable Neutral Density, Would love to hear if any one is using this filter on this lens.

• @stonebat What do you mean? There's one on there that was $5 instead of $80

• @vicharris Why not just a 77mm thin upring?

• Here ya go

20130206_142204.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 236K
    20130206_142241.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 249K
  • No reason at all to buy that step up ring. Non at all. Buy the one I posted up above. It actually puts the filter or hood further back than this thing they made. I just do not understand it's purpose and price. My lens has the slightest bit of vignetting on it with nothing added and once I add the step up ring, filter and hood, there's just a slight bit more which I actually like and it's easy to punch in just barely to get rid of it. Check out my promo video that's up on here. 75% of it is shot with this lens, a 77mm .9 Tiffen ND and wide angle hood. I'll post a pic.

• Adorama didn't pack my lens tight in the box, so it was moving around in there, which might explain why the rear glass element came off when I opened it and held it in my hand.

Glad SLR Magic got way better packaging now!

And I noticed their 58-77mm step-up ring has a gradual incline up design on the front side instead of the simple step up design third party rings all have. I admit, it does look good, and probably why it is $80!!

SLR Magic 12mm w_ ring.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 238K
  • Thanks @stonebat, any brand or product recommendation?

• @apix Go for 77mm at least.

• No good, so there are still issues with this lens with the build quality? So basically not much difference if you buy it straight from Noktor or Adorama?

• hi all, I was wondering what ND filter would you recommend to use with this lens? Thanks in advance.

• Prolly other resellers aren't any better. It was a different seller. I had to return Samyang 7.5mm lens a few times. They kept sending me a same copy. LoL. Eventually I got Rokinon copy with much less play.

• Interesting. That would suck if they are recycling lenses. Maybe they just had a bad batch for a bit.

• One caveat about Adorama. It seems they r not returning bad copies to SLR Magic either.

I got my 12mm 1.6, and it seemed ok, but I returned it. Later I bought it again but too much play. I returned 3 more times before getting the one I like. But I suspect the final one is the first one I had gotten.

If you like your copy, don't sell it :)

• @Hilltop1 I bought my lens from them but wish I bought it from Adorama. If the lens has a problem, it will cost you too much to send it back the SLR. I'll never buy a lens direct from a manufacture again. As for a gear, i just rigged up one i bought from ebay. No way I'm paying those prices they charge for the add ons. Buy the lens from adorama, that step up ring i sent you. This lens isn't the best for racking focus anyways IMO. It's just not designed right.

• Thanks @vicharris, did you buy yours straight from them? How about the lens gear for follow focus like the one posted up by @feha above. Do you have that?

• For some reason the one I bought is no longer available. Interesting. Anyways, here's another one that looks like it's the same profile. http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Step-58-77mm-Filter-Adapter/dp/B0002ER2OG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360174504&sr=1-2&keywords=Stepup+Ring+58mm-77mm

• @Hilltop1 Are you in the US? And you don't need to buy their ring. I'll give you a link to one that works just as well