Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic G5 topic
  • 264 Replies sorted by
  • I see. Just update this thread when donations needed :) BTW. is there any chance for G3 manual video control in the future, or the first hack covers all the modifications planned for it?

• @huzsolt

May be in the future, but right now answer is negative. I just have no time for another camera.

• You mean not any chance ever, or not in the near future? G5 is more capable camera than G3, and because of it's ergonomics, can be more powerfull if hacked... just asking.

• @izzy

Nope, we need to work with ones we have already.

• ready to donate also.

• Are there any plans to buy a G5 trying to hack it in the near future? I would be happy to donate...

In my opinion the G5 is a very attractive camera for a hack - stock video quality and AF performance is better than on a GH2 and it costs less than 50% of a GH3!

• @ stacid

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I ran a quick test and it appears that, here in the Netherlands, the bars are gone when shooting at 1/50 and 1/100, whereas these bars are definitely there at 1/60 and 1/125. (unfortunately the camera has no 1/120 shutter speed)

• Hi all! As to electronic shutter - try to use shutter priority mode and 1/100, 1/50, 1/25 or slower shutter speed in Europe and 1/120, 1/60, 1/30 in the US.

• I don't think that's something that could be fixed with a patch. A CMOS sensor does not update the whole image at once, but line by line. This is also the cause of the 'rolling shutter' effect in video capture. This is just a limitation of the hardware really. It is a nice option to have the electronic shutter for stealth shooting, but this is with the caveat that the shutter curtain is not perfect, so it can't be used in all situations unfortunately.

• @huzsolt,

I have similar issues: darkish bars on photos that were made with the electronic shutter in artificial lighting. No black bars though, just a little darker. Do you really think it has to do with the different versions of the camera? I have a European model and haven't been able to try the camera outside of Europe. If your pictures have indeed really black bars than it seems the USA model is indeed different and its electronic shutter not suitable for use with 50hz bulbs.

• I hope there will be a patch soon or the G5, electronic shutter needs to be addressed, under certain circumstances it is useless. I have a USA version of the camera, but using it in Europe, and under some lighting conditions I have horizontal black bars on the pictures, because of the 60hz-50hz differences, and tis way it's useless.

• If the G5 will work with the video full manual controll the gain would be greater than the high bit rate. The G5 would be the best micro4/3! If only...

• Bloody hell, only 50% of the cameras allotted for the deal were claimed! That was less than the camera costs in pounds (I am from the UK). You're all mad.

• I really hope the G5 catches on, or gets at least popular enough to do a hack. It's a really nice camera, but at the moment I feel like it has about the same videoquality as my hacked GF2... If what they say about having almost the same sensor as the GH2 is true, then this could become an awesome machine with a decent patch!

• Oh no .... Vitaliy_Kiselev! you are our last hope! .. Only a small patch (high bitrate video and manual control) ...

• I get the impression there aren't that many G5s in the wild, with very few people in this thread actually owning one. Is that true, have there been many offers to test patches? I'm kind of in the camp where I'd only be interested in the camera if it had the features removed from the GH2 re-enabled (and I'm also waiting to see what the EP5 looks like). I supposed it's possible that it will never build up the kind of critical mass to make it worth working on, if enough people think like me!

/negativity

• Vitaliy_Kiselev, are there perspectives to add video manual control on G5

We do not have G5 in plans yet.

• Vitaliy_Kiselev, are there perspectives to add video manual control on G5 ?

• @mpgxsvcd Yes, with Still picture priority you can set the settings for the pictures you make during video recording. Except the aspect ratio will be fixed to 16x9.

• @8088

Do the still picture priority images use the settings you set? The GH2 works that way.

• @mpgxsvd Yes, you can take pictures when shooting video. There are two modes: Motion picture priority and Still picture priorities (see manual). Whichever I choose, the exposure settings for still pictures are never used by the video.

• @adventsam Also in MF mode AE-lock doesn't work with video. I think what you are referring to is this line in the manual: "AE Lock only is effective when taking pictures with Manual Focus". What I think is meant by that is that of the combined functionality of the AF/AE lock button, only the AE lock is effective when focusing manually.

The manual also mentions: "AE Lock is canceled when motion picture recording begins". So at least Panasonic is honest about that.

I just did a test with a manual lens. I happen to have some old Olympus OM glass and an OM to M43 adapter. It is doable this way. Flicker reduction on. Aperture set on the lens. ISO setting doesn't matter, it is set to AUTO anyway when in video mode. Exposure compensation has to be set before starting the recording (that's a shame).

So if somebody ever wants to do some serious video work with the G5: you need a manual lens or a hack.

• @8088

Can the G5 take a still while shooting 1080p @ 60 FPS video? If so try this. Set the camera to take full size RAW images during video. Then set the shutter speed to what you want it to be, take a video and take a picture. The RAW file will have the settings that you set before you hit record. The question is "will the video use those settings as well.