Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • @andyharris AFAIK it isn't possible to get those DNGs from Canon into Resolve directly (yet). People are working on it.

• As of now whats the advantages of of having an 5dII vs 5dIII , anything major with regards to the quality or useability of MLT raw video

• @sammy the 5dII line skips leading to aliasing as far as i know... also cant do as high resolutions at 24/25p yet ...

• @sammy - either the chipset in the 5dIII is faster or the components of the circuit board that have to do with the CF controller are better - but it can't keep up with the higher resolutions like @jakepowell said. I considered getting a 5dII many times - but it just wasn't worth it unless it can do decent raw.

Also - keep in mind that the SD card controller seems to be capable of much lower rates compared to the CF card controller. People are only getting 20/30 MB sustained even though the card may be faster. I have the 95MB Sandisk Extreme Pro cards that I use in the GH2 and GH3 - I will try to test them and see.

• thanks guys, is 60p at 1280x720 working now on the 5dIII ?is it for just a few seconds or more? thanks,

• @uninexus Thanks for the feedback. Hope disruptions from BlackMagic and Magic Lattern will motivate manufacturers to move right direction faster. We clearly see of what the technology is capable of doing already.

It looks like smartphone mass market is going to be a factor in pushing the dedicated video/photo camera video output quality upwards .... we can see impact on the lower end already.

• @uninexus doesn't f16 give you some diffraction on the 5d and HUGE in Gh3?

my 2 chaotic cents: working with raw footage allowed me this perspective: the quality is overwhelming in all aspects not only DR and sharpness (there's a more evident "soul" about it), the possibilities in post are... crazy (which also helps making), workflow much much slower. space is never enough, gear costs escalate on pair of quality. right now out of my league.

yesterday I was watching a movie and in the opening scenes there was a shot with TONS of moire.

I don't have the 5d, but a have a pair of eyes that get refulgent with each video you post, I'm truly happy with this democratization of raw. that said I'm with jakepowell, the Gh3 is a very capable camera indeed. there are certain, not so many, sceneries where I could totally make use of a raw capable camera, but would always be my B-cam as I am easy with the trigger and my pockets are rather shallow :P. I like limitations, they put you in place (not comfy), make you work harder and get better... maybe, this could also be applied to the raw magic making its limitations a stronghold, from where conquer the worlddd!!! ... enough

Reading you guys and learning, thanks

• Thanks @maxr... I love my GH3. Make no mistake - I am not getting rid of it. I just wonder if I need to get a Pocket Cinema Camera now - that's my point. If I don't need 10 bit of DR but need a very capable camera to either shoot a video or take some pictures - the GH3 is it ! I can of course get a bit more in pictures with the MKIII - that's an option. RAW is for creative work, for low light situations, for DR... for slow and deliberate.

My GH2 will be going on the market. Someone else can give it a loving home. Now let's hope for a GH3 hack ;-)

@seeker Amen, man ;-)

@sammy I will test. I think it does - but I will check.

• From Voldemort from his hideout:

Some KomputerBay and Lexar cards have been able to achieve 120MB/s sustained write speeds in Magic Lantern’s benchmark test, in theory enough for a Blackmagic Cinema Camera rivalling 2.5K 2560 x 1152 which requires 118.1MB/s at 24fps. That’s also fast enough for slow-mo 1720 x 672 at 60fps.

• @uninexus

Always triple check anything Andrew says, especially related to tech and numbers.

It is also good to understand that speed can be not constant and can degrade with time or size used.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev That's a good advice ;-) Nice correction on the post there too ;-)

• It's also enough to use 7G of space per minute of recording which means at most ~9 minutes of recording on the 64G cards that can go that fast (128G cards are slower). Don't forget to bring your laptop to dump footage to HD constantly!

• whatever happens, 167MB/sec is ceiling for CF interface in 5DMK3

• No pain no gain

• RAW is lovely if you have the luxury of time i.e. non commercial projects - try explaining where the 3000 hours went transcoding to your production manager when he sees the bill lol

• Guys, can anyone help with even 10sec of actual .RAW Mk3 footage. I don't own a body but a friend does. Before I invest in high-speed CF cards I would like to try out the workflow (via Cineform).

The plan currently is to:

a) use RAW2DNG from ML to get .dng

b) use Cineform Professional Studio to convert .dng to Cineform RAW (in .avi container as this works best in Windows). This is allegedly faster than real-time, there is no de-bayer yet.

c) Edit in Premiere CS6 directly on the online (RAW Cineform .avi) in 1/4 or 1/8 res.

d) Export XML and relink in Scratch for finishing (there is no conform since I edited on the online).

e) De-bayer on exporting to multiple deliverable targets.

Help a brother out please with .raw files or whatever the extension is.

• @radikalfilm, I don't think it's 10s worth, but James Miller posted raw files for one of the shots in his Genesis video (see link in Vimeo description):

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - What is that causing the wobble at the 2:50 mark? It's not cam movement. It also hurts my eyes when the camera moves. It almost stutters. Is that vimeo or the 24 Raw flow?

• @rockroadpix

I think it is camera movement, it looks to my eye to be a classic case of rolling shutter with a long lens.

• @oedipax Cheers, I got that sample.

Well my proposed workflow panned out perfectly, no issues whatsoever. Bear in mind I'm on an older Quad (Q6600/8GB/GTX285) as well!

a) I got RAW2DNG.exe and this raw2dng_batchelor GUI which is supposed to help for multiple inputs. I selected an output dir and it spewed out .dng in there.

b) I started Cineform Studio Premium and imported said .dng files, with Filmscan1 settings (.avi output). It went through them like nothing (the clip is 23sec), much faster than real time. The resulting bitrate is 88 Mbit/s, a 5.5:1 reduction compared with the uncompressed (Canon frame-buffer) RAW. So now I'm in Cineform RAW. For those unaware of Cineform's workings, it has this metadata capability where it applies input and output gamma curves, 3D LUTs, exposure etc etc adjustments which are then played out in REALTIME by any and all DirectShow/Quicktime apps. This works on a system-wide basis (it uses worldwide unique handles for each new file, no idea how it tracks that). I settled for Custom Log Input/Output curves. Video Gamma output works also well if you don't care for much color correction. I applied the CStyleLUT (Protune). Playback with Windows Media Player looks very good, CPU load is 95%. I'm blown out haha with the dynamic range, GH2 can't touch this.

c) Premiere CS6. Playback test at full res is a slideshow with the CPU at 95%. Half res (1/2) brings it down to 60%, a load I can cut under.

d) Rendered out of Squeeze 9 (x.264, 15Mbit) as Adobe Media Encoder misbehaved and SPED UP the footage, wtf?; I kept the source 2.66:1 aspect ratio (1920x720)

Upped on Vimeo:

The only "grading" comes from the CStyleLUT applied directly in Cineform Studio. I did test playback in Scratch (near realtime in full-res) but couldn't be bothered to grade. Wake me up when the thing records for longer than 40sec. As it is, although unbeatable in price/value, can only be used for very short very scripted takes.

Update: I see Vimeo makes a mockery out of my h.264 master @15 Mbs. I normally encode the master at 40Mbs out of AME, and it looks good. I will reencode at 40Mbs in Squeeze and update.

Update2: So it's now at 40Mbs going in into Vimeo and the results are eh. Download the original if you care. Do you think I'm obsessive-compulsive?

Update3: Changed the Demosaic type to CF Advanced Detail 3 and dropped 200K off of the color temperature. I think this surpasses the GH2 for detail. Download original.

Update4: The people at Cineform/GoPro with their own take on settings to transcode Mk3 RAW: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5479.0 Demosaic at Advanced Detail 1/2/3 are NOT progressively better, but different flavors, with 3 not being in favor as it induces color noise it seems.

• Right then --- Sorted the 5D3 with ML and the Raw bits and made a couple of tests.

This seems really extra double sweet! I think my BMCC is relegated to second camera now!

• ...now it's finally getting interesting . 720p raw on a 50d. Pretty cool !