Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Franks short film is great. I love the write up he did too!

• The Nikon battery lasts slightly longer than my supplied battery, but not truly do not last long enough to do much with.

A few pages back I estimated two hours to charge the battery, unless you have a rapid charger it actually looks like three hours: I didn't even kill the Nikon battery, put it on the charger at approximately seven o'clock and it's now ten-thirty, still definitely has about thirty minutes to go judging by the light on the charger.

I imagine that using any electronic functions on a lens decreases life as well.

Just sharing the information, don't shoot the messenger. I already found my battery solution, just waiting on it to arrive.

• @kholi Thanks, good to know. Curious to hear about your battery solution, keep us apprised!

• @JuMo actually it wasn't me that found it, it was a user on the other forum, I should've rephrased that. Was going to use Anker batteries but there are some cheap batteries floating around on Amazon that cost as much as the Nikon batteries, but are 12v 4500mAH.

Any of those Anker battery type deals will power the camera, I think the more important solution is to power the camera and charge a battery in the camera at the same time.

• @kholi Right on, cheers. Let us all know how it works out. Personally, I'd rather have a larger battery solution that lasts longer as apposed to a pocket full of (even 4500mAH) batteries.

• For sure. The 4500 should be about four hours, in fact there's a comment about two pages back from another user that got the same battery and he's saying four hours, so four of those at about twenty four dollars a piece, a pair of Nikon/OEM batteries, you should be set for a reasonable day.

That said, if going into an actual shoot, like you, I would likely tack on the Viewfactor riser and throw on an IDX Battery, just run all day on that and never have to power down.

• @kholi Which charger are you using? I got me the Nikon wall charger and it definitely is faster than 3 hours, need to measure more precisely, though.

• Do anyone know if the short "The one" was shot with a 180degree shutter? I have seen this ghosting problem with BMPC before at 180, but that short looked really video’ish to me. The grading was great though!

• frank mentioned it was shot at 180deg. you have to remember you are watching a compressed online version. though that first crane shot did show that notorious wierd motion that the pocket has. I didn't think it looked video at all. closeset was probably the 14mm wide in store if im not mistaken, just a tad sharper than the rest.

@JuMo these 3800 or 4800mAh batteries are so small they are perfect for quick hand held shooting. Perfect for my needs. One on camera and one spare in the pocket and your good for 8hrs continuous shooting. Mr Bloom has tweeted he has now found a battery solution for his pocket. I wonder what it could be.

@koli some bmcusers warned that there may be a risk of fire if dropped/damaged and then charged due to the nature of li-po batteries in general. Probably best not to leave charging unattended. best grab yourself a li-po fire retardent bag for charging and transportation lol I just did =) you never know.

• The short "The One" was shot at 180 / 25fps

BMD are apparently looking into the strange blurs occurring at some shutter angles, they haven't reported back yet.

@MRFanny beat me to it :)

• @kholi

Do you have a link for the battery you bought?

• For some reason I can't see whatever you linked, Brian.

@MrFanny

Does it charge the battery within the camera? Checked? Wonder what Phillip is using, probably saw the same thing you and I did though xD

@nomand

Hopefully I have a defective charger, then, because it's taking three hours a charge. It's also the genuine Nikon charger and genuine Nikon battery.

• That short was nice. I liked the final color grade. It looks like Frank might have sharpened the final image (I could be wrong). Maybe that’s why someone here said it looks video(ish). I don’t think it needs much (if any) sharpening personally.

• @peaceonearth thanks but what is the average duration of the standard battery?

It seems the Fatima secret. Everybody speak about alternative batteries and power source but what is the duration with pana/oly lenses?

Bye

• @LongJohnSilver from my experience every case is different. I put the camera in a wrapper and then in my bag. Either I forgot to switch it off or the button was hit in the bag. The battery ran empty to 2% and the camera became so hot that I feared it was totally broken. It was not.. Since then I pay still more attention to switch it off when ever I do not shoot. So it's impossible to say how long the battery will run in one go. (shooting, stand-by, manual lenses, electronic, AF in heavy use.. are variables too)

• @Ian_T Frank said on another forum that he sharpened 47% on Resolve.

• I got some 1200mAh on amazon... they are 1200 for sure just like Gh2 not 1020. As soon as this "Succut" Or whatever its called Holiday thing is over(B and H is closed) I am going to switch my order to the MFT BMCC so I may be just selling all my batteries I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065MMH7Q/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• @griplimited thanks for that info. I could see that it was sharpened. 47% wow. Personally I think he could have backed off a little...but it didn't matter...twas a nice short.

• FYI it's not 47 percent, it's 47 in Resolve, that's three points out of a total of 50 that he could have gone.

Trust me, it's barely any sharpening at all.

I never go below 47 (the lower the number the more sharpening and it starts at 50), 47-48's typically good enough.

• Lol, what I chose to read

• This camera is definitely soft, even with very very sharp glass, however it's a different kind of soft and the actual moving images coming right out of the camera, as ProRes, are very interesting in this aspect. It nets PLENTY of detail, but it's soft in the sense that it isn't overtly sharp.

I suspect when more people begin to use sharp glass to offset the softness, they'll feel like it looks more "cinematic" because of the general softness that sort of... uuhhmmm... what's the word, like, "coats" the natural sharpness of the lens being used.

It's hard to explain. But, having the Sigma 18-35 on the camera or say Zeiss Compact Primes, or Superspeeds (MKIIs) really brings out a certain kind of life in the images.

Anyway, yeah, the Resolve sharpening settings can be confusing at first, but it's simple once you know it.

Edit: I guess I should hurry up and shoot something worth posting, and just do a write-up already.

• As promised, I tested the charging more carefully. I don't have Nikon batteries, but compatible ones made by "Patona" claiming 1020 mAh and actually holding a tad longer than the BM one.

After one hour with an empty batterie on the Nikon charger the camera says 92%. After one and a half hour the charger goes steady green (maybe 5-10 minutes earlier, I didn't stare at it all the time) and the camera says 99%. I needed to let it trickle charge a lot longer to see 100%, but who cares.

So, either the Nikon batteries communicate somehow differently with the charger, or yours has a problem.

• @kholi

Pp use sharp glass and then mediate the sharpness with filters to create soft focus. But here, it seems BMPCC by default is soft, no matter what kind of glass you slap on. The test will be to enlarge the footage and play it back on the big screen to assess detail and resolution. One can always increase sharpness in post, but this is technically not the ideal way. The acquired image should always be pristine sharp.