Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @kurt10

We have topic for lenses tests on BMPCC :-)

• Anybody else thinking of going with Rokinon EF lenses if and when the Metabones Speedbooster EF to MFT comes out? Or should I go native with SLR magic lenses?

• @MaulKentor

Depends on how fast and how wide you want to go. Those Rokinon's, maybe they perform a bit better wide open on the smaller sensor, but using them wide open on the 2.5K is a no go.

However... the 25/0.95 SLR Magic looks SHARPER wide open on the Pocket Camera. And, so does the 12/1.6, which actually leans toward sharper edges as well unlike on the 2.5K and GH2. I was surprised to see this, and was expecting the opposite.

Flares are heavy on the 12/1.6 wide open, and on the 25/0.95, CA wide open can be a bit overbearing on over-exposed areas, color changes between 0.95 and 1.8. So those are things to consider.

THe size of both, even with a Viewfactor cage, lend toward a "stealthier" approach. The weight of the 25 helps stabilize the camera, as well.

I've only seen footage from the 85mm Rokinon on the Pocket Camera, it didn't look bad at all but I'm also sure it wasn't wide open, which is a factor to consider given the smaller sensor size.

VK can decide if this belongs here, but answering the question in this thread, I've attached three stills from a firepit gathering, the two with people are the Pocket camera and the SLR 0.95, shot at 800 ISO wide open, 172.8 shutter, and the firepit is closed down at 800.

woslr25_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    woslr25_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1019K
    woslr25_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @kholi Thanks for the stills they look great.

I'd like to be able to shoot wide open for filming at night and am leaning towards the SLR magics is that respect but I see the benefit of having the Rokinon's with the speedbooster because it doubles the amount of focal lengths I have a my disposal and should increase their sharpness if I'm not mistaken. I suppose the best thing to do would be to wait until more Rokinons are tested on the BMPCC and the EF to MFT is released as well.

Particularly I am interested in the new 16mm T2.2 which would give me a 46mm T2.2 and a 33 T1.2 when the speedbooster comes out. I've heard great things about the Rokinons on the BMCC and thought it may be good if my collection of lenses could be used on the broadest range of cameras. If I have a set of Rokinons then I can use them on BMCC MFT/EF/4K/BMPCC whereas with the SLR Magics I can only use them on the BMPCC and BMCC MFT.

• @MaulKentor

Great points about the use of the Rokinon glass beyond just the Pocket Cam. Definitely something to consider.

If I had access to a Speedbooster, I could test it... certainly answer some questions that I have on the SB. I know where a set of F-Mount Rokinons are, just no Speedbooster in my neighborhood.

• Getting ready to order a SB @kholi. Might be here this week to test. MFT to Nikon of course. And going to reorder the 16 Cine.

• Sick, if you don't have a Pocket Cam let me know, down to test.

• @vicharris @kholi Nikon G SB in hand. Would be happy to lend a hand to see the results.

• @kholi, Mine is no where to be seen! What are you doing Thur? Might be doing camera tests at Hollywood Camera with my BMCC, Sony FS700, RED Dragon and some others. You down? If we have time I'd love to to throw in the GH2 with Moon or IV2 as well!

@vapourtail Are you in LA?

• Hi everyone I just uploaded a full review of the Black Magic Pocket Camera. I do a run through of the camera and show you some examples. I also show the voigtlander 0.95 and the metabones nikon g to micro four thirds speed booster.

Thanks

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiiCQe_ST8s&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLcM3TbBpt_G66cVilK_fcDcnzr3wMVaej

• with due respect I don't understand why you showed the same footage several times? Either you could have shot more ore shortened your talking. my 2ct.

• @soulofrev2 thanks for the review and fuck those who don't appreciate your effort

• Hi all,

Is it true that with a manual lens, the battery last for 15 minutes?

• Is it true that with a manual lens, the battery last for 15 minutes?

no, not true. My subjective experience is that it even lasts longer than with AF auto lenses.

• @soulofrev2 thank you.

I think there's enough positive to go with the negative. based on all of that, IMO if I were forced to choose a BMD cam it'd be the BMCC MFT for now, until they get to maybe a 1.5 or 2.0 version of the Pocket, or drop the price to around $599.

• @bozfx Thanks for sharing this great short, especially the link with the DP's comments

• but I think we are getting the idea, that it'll need outboard audio?

• from what I've seen in various review videos, you'll want to stick at least a good outboard pre in front. Though without audio meters on the screen, it will be hard to judge how much headroom you have to work with. You've got headphone out to monitor, but sometimes its hard to tell with headphones when you're at that point of almost peaking.

• White Orbs, no audio meter, no raw. Just horrible. When is BM going to listen and fix all this.[/sarcasm]

• As we all suspected, there are many caveats to this micro sized cinema camera, but it's really nice to see it tested on a narrative shoot. I really liked the look, a lot closer to film than video IMHO! Don't fret the audio Frank, personally, I'm glad you went for it with a juicedlink into the camera (something I was curious about, and others too I'm sure). It's hard to say because of your freezer hum fiasco, but outboard audio looks to be the safest way to go. All in all: nice work, as usual, Frank (and team), and thanks for sharing @bozfx

• great story, but I kept thinking as i was watching the short how it might have turned out with all the same production values, if they had used a BMC 2.5k, GH2 hacked, or a RED