Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • FIRST: THANK YOU ALL FOR GREAT JOB with GH2 patched firmware :-) I want to buy a GH2 and I want to use the patched firmware. Can I buy any new GH2? I heard that some models (newer/older) can't be patched... maybe I am wrong. Thanks guys for your replay.
  • i've updated my NTSC gh2 to cbrandin's 66M GOP12 AQ4
    when switching to PAL and trying to record
    i get "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT."

any thoughts?

thanks

• hmmmmm it seems to have fixed itself
    ;)

ps
    thanks Vitaliy and everyone working on this for all your efforts
    (i'm making a donation)

• hi again

1) in case others get the same error as above, to fix i reset all settings and reformatted the card.

2) a possible bug?
    i just updated my gh1 to use LPowell's GH1 & GF1 : Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch - Version 2.
    i also selected maximum iso limit removal.
    when not recording the selected iso was used
    when recording the ISO display changed to auto (i know this is a known bug)
    however the display (and recorded file) changed to what looked to be 200ISO,
    regardless of what it was set to!

otherwise . .. all is good
  • @pipoland, I have not heard this and wonder where you did. I think maybe you are confusing models. I have a GH2 I bought 1 month ago, and I had it hacked day one.
  • 1.) What, in layman's terms are the notable differences in these:
    cbrandin's 44M AQ4
    cbrandin's 66M AQ2
    mpgxsvcd's 42M AQ4
    driftwood's SPANmyBITCHup' INTRA

2.) Will they all record continuously? I think I am picking up on the word "spanning" as a way to define this. (right or wrong?)

I am shooting 24P with a class 6 card, for reference.
    Rob

• @Heartfelt

You have chosen a strange line up to choose from...

cbradin's 44 & 66 are kind of 'old standbys' (66 is better quality than 44 but doesn't span) (spanning = being able to record onto multiple 4gig files - 4 gig is the max that can be recorded into one file due to the FAT32 file system spec)

Driftwoods Intra patches (all of them) use INTRA as the most important aspect of the patch. Intra means that every frame saved in the AVCHD file is a separate image, called an "i" frame. In the AVCHD spec, (and in Mpeg2/4 and all modern compression formats) there are I frames, B frames, and P frames.

I‑frames are the least compressible but don't require other video frames to decode.
    P‑frames can use data from previous frames to decompress and are more compressible than I‑frames.
    B‑frames can use both previous and forward frames for data reference to get the highest amount of data compression.
    (wiki)

So Intra has the best motion features of all... at the expense of overall quality, (however that is improving rapidly- especially if you use the newest intra settings).

As you mention that your card is a class 6 I would highly recommend that you purchase either a 32 gig Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s or the newest 64gig Sandisk Extreme 95MB/s.

As these both will allow you to experiment with all of the settings and save your footage in currently the highest quality settings... The 64gig is beginning to look like the gold standard for the GH2 as spanning is working even on crazy high settings... a giant leap!

As for your question about spanning, it has been discovered that many cards behave differently... so you may need to upload the settings and try it out. A great idea regardless of what advice you receive here!

YMMV.
  • @me
    Thank you for your replay. Well, I am happy that I read it wrong and it is not true.
  • @alcomposer

The association of the above is an attempt to find something that doesn't require a 95M card ability but gives a solid improvement. Are you suggesting that the Driftwood hacks are a step above? Is there one that can be handled by a class 6 on an interim, introductory to hacking my cam, basis?
  • A very begginer question, I have the driftwood hack in my GH2, now I want change the hack, is necesary to return the original frimware or only I put the new hack at card and continue whit the steps?
  • @zzanttiago
    Just put new one. Don't need to return anything.
  • thanks very much vitaliy
  • @Heartfelt Quantum (still beta testing) patch on the L setting spans on most type 10 cards (but aso could you try it on your type 6 card for me?). Most people who have tested it report nice results, long recording times, and is as good quality as AQuamotion v2. The H setting will span on the new 64Gb cards now coming out. And is premium quality. Quantum gives the filmmaker the best of both worlds.
    On top of that the forthcoming MJPEG additions in beta 3 will offer anamorphic users better quality and at higher settings than existing patches.

Yeah Long GOP gives a nice high i frame, but remember this, (god I sound like a politician) GOP1 Quantum 1080p24H produces the highest average frame quality overall and looks better in motion.
  • @Driftwood Yes, of course, I'd be happy to give it go and report back.
    Thanks for the info
  • 1. @driftwood, would you be so kind to direct me to your beta Quantum patch? I lost track of location. Perhaps add this beta to this thread?
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/25865#Comment_25865
    2. How do I conduct a search in this forum, it was discussed, I can't find the specific topic advice someone provided a few weeks ago.
    Thank you.
  • @WhiteRabbit
    2) It is my understanding that the search feature is broken currently (it works but not that well) and actually - we all here would MUCH rather VK spend his spare time relaxing... etc... instead of repairing HTML code,... eh!

So currently best idea is to use 'search' site:www.personal-view.com
    replace 'search' with your query
  • one word searches in pv are fine :-)
  • Multi words searches are also fine, just use "+first_word+second_word" approach if you don't search exact phrase.
  • @alcomposer, it was you I was referring to, I just wasn't sure when I posted. That is the advice on search method I was looking for, I have now been able to locate Driftwood 'Quantum' ver 2 BETA .
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/28583#Comment_28583
    Now to figure out the difference between SeAQuake, which I am running, and Quantum v2.
    Thank you, @alcomposer, @driftwood and @Vitaliy_Kiselev.
  • Hello everybody.
    I suppose that you have noticed the new official firmware update for the GH2.
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html
    Are there any plans for new version of ptools to support this?
    Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev for the great job.
  • @makis i think hes working on it now
  • Hack noob, here. Getting ready to hack my GH2. But I'm behind the curve as to what everyone's opinion is as to which patches to employ.

As of right now, what would be considered the top 3 or 4 patches in terms of stability, quality, and card compatibility?
  • @shian it depends on which card you have
  • right now I have some crappy ones. 16GB Patriot and 16GB Kingston class 10 on both, but specs say they are 15Mb/s MAX. They are working fine for unhacked stuff, no problems at all. I haven't bought any new cards, but I want to know which ones to buy to be able to use Quantum V2, Driftwood 176 (not sure which version of this to use quite frankly), and cBrandin 44 (I'm guessing from the boards that those are the most popular.)
  • Does anyone has already no problems with ISO Limit Patch with GH1?
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions