Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • Surely somebody is editing native Flowmotion 2 24p footage and can comment on time-line responsiveness? Ideally, compared to one Driftwood's intra-frame settings, but any information at all(?)

Previously asked, no responses.

• @LongJohnSilver No, you've got it backward. In VMM 80% Slow-Motion mode, the camera records at 29.97fps in "24H" mode (or 24L if selected). The only thing that makes the video slow-motion is that the metadata tag in the MTS file misrepresents the frame rate as 23.976p. When you play back the file, the video editor or player reads the metadata tag and plays the video back at 23.976 fps. To play it back at its original 29.97fps, you have to manually instruct the editor or player to interpret (i.e. conform) the footage as 29.97p.

• @ lpowell

"When shooting in 80% Slow-Motion 24H mode, the video is actually being recorded at 30p, but the MTS file is marked to play back at 24p. To make it play at its native 30p rate, no speed up is necessary, however, you must use a video editor to reinterpret the frame rate as 30p."

Sorry I see this only now. Yes I mad a mistake. BTW When shooting in VMM 80% is the real framerate 23.97 as usual 24p cinema mode? and conforming to 30p is the real framerate 29.97 also for VMM 80%? Right?

Thanks

• @duartix Yes, as I explained to @karl on page 7 of this thread, whenever HBR (or any psF video) is imported into a video editor, you must manually insure that the footage is interpreted as progressive.

The GH2 records progressive HBR videos in exactly the same 1080i file format as interlaced FSH files, and there is no explicit way for an editing program to tell the difference. As a result, editors such as After Effects naturally assume that HBR files are interlaced, and interpret the footage as "Upper Field First", which causes spurious interlace artifacts. To correct this, you must use AE's Interpret Footage dialog to set Separate Fields to OFF. That will eliminate spurious interlace distortion in HBR footage.

• @Lanz1 I fell into that trap some time ago: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57716#Comment_57716 It was a field issue and I found out how to properly import PsF video here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57925#Comment_57925

• @duartix as I wrote, it's 1080P 25fps, not deinterlaced ;) you can see from my grab screens that I was playing the original MTS files al 100% resolution

• @LPowell Hi Mate , Your patch sounds very nice ! LOL http://www.flowmotion.net/

• Direct quote from the training manual:

The basic point for driftwood planning is the position at which the driftwood quantity to be handled in the driftwood countermeasure plan is determined. The basic point for the driftwood countermeasure plan is placed upstream of the target protection area.

• (Figure 1. Flowchart of the Driftwood Countermeasures): Lee- Thanks for the laugh

• @GH2_fan - You must have inexplicably missed the following presentation, which was included in your standardized training packet (Figure 1. Flowchart of the Driftwood Countermeasures):

http://www.sabo-int.org/guideline/pdf/driftwoodCountermeasureGuideline.pdf

• Hi guys, I know this may seem really random and I dont know even if it's been mentioned here before, BUT I was wondering, how does Flowchart compare with Driftwood's patches in terms of quality and reliability???

• @rockhunter

just click on the vimeo logo and you'll go on the vimeo page. Full screen, scaling off and you are set!

On the comments there is a description how it was filmed.

Bye

• @duartix I'm glad you said something. I'm out in the boonies now on the laptop and can't see the MB's. It looked fine to me. Other than an occasional lockup, I've never had a problem with FM or FM2.2...certainly not with the image quality.

• @peternap A world of a difference.

• I was able to get around the "Error compiling movie" problem by applying a CC filter to each of the video files.

Randy

• @LPowell: Thank you for the very interesting explanations on HBR mode encoding.

I am not overly concerned with HBR quality since I'm not going to use it much. Nevertheless I wanted to find out whether the artifacts I saw in the "moving tree leaves" HBR recording were caused by an erraneous interpretation of the material as interlaced, so I did a test shot where I moved a page of a book with tables (many thin vertical lines) in front of the camera, brightly lit, at 1s/4000 shutter speed, such that if there was any kind of interlacing going on, I should clearly see it. But there wasn't any distortion in those lines, they looked perfecty straight. Only when shooting the same scenery with low light / high ISO, then I started to see some "zig-zag" artifacts, not unlike the HBR artifacts that I saw in the "moving leaves" shot, but also not easy to distinguish from the inevitable noise distorting the image.

I guess the different encoding the "even" and "odd" lines are subject could explain the difficulty of HBR recording in detail-rich scenes. When I look at the first .png Lanz1 posted above, the metal frame of the lantern seems to exhibit a little of that kind of "zig zag" artifacts I was also experiencing. But it could also be just unavoidable inaccuracies occuring at ~50MBit/s bit rate.

• I'm using Adobe Premiere CS5.5 and get "Error compiling movie" when trying to export an MPEG-2 movie for DVD with my video files recorded using Flow Motion v2.02. I have been using another hack preset for a while now and never had this problem in Premiere.

Randy

• Download the original file to view in Fullscreen, or turn "scaling" on in Vimeo. The downloaded file will look way better. way.

• I wish the Vimeo full screen control worked here so we could view the videos in a larger window.

• @LongJohnSilver , wow, was this shot with GH2 !!!

• @LongJohnSilver Nice work and shot on the older FM it looks like.

• I came across this teaser on Vimeo and I think it worths sharing

Shot on GH2 and FM.

View it in 1080p splendor

• @duartix It may be the be the way it was grabbed as a JPEG. I still can't upload the MTS but I grabbed another frame with VLC as a PNG.

• @LPowell & @peternap :

That's strange. The file is SD resolution and at 250KB and Q99 it shouldn't look like a Lego landscape. The OOF backgrounds are a mess, Lee. The insect's wing contours are a mess. The leaves are a mess. It looks like a JPEG saved at 60% compression when it shouldn't...

I'm reuploading the original attached JPEG (this time as PNG) to check if anyone sees the same as I do.

download.png
    1280 x 720 - 897K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions