Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Powering GH2
  • 381 Replies sorted by
  • Looks good but make sure you can change the output manually instead of some sort of automatic connection to be safe it won't fry your camera.

• Wow, thanks! You really found one! I'd immediately jump on it, but the seller very clearly states he doesn't ship overseas (I'm in the EU), not to mention the shipping+taxes would probably make it over $100 and in that case it'd probably be safer to buy this http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp18000a/index.html which goes for +/- $150 over here and seems similar, doesn't it? I'm still hoping for the ATC battery to be restocked by some chinese ebay seller :)

• It's good to see those ATC type battery! I thought they were all gone for this price. I power my GH2 for two days on one charge alone with this thing! I might have to buy another one here!

• @sedlak Here is the only one that I could find that matches the ones that I bought. It is black and not silver, but the design and specs are the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P18000-External-Battery-Powerbank-For-Apple-iPad-iPhone-PDA-MP4-Cellphone-/190808571721?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item2c6d13bf49

• Hello guys, anyone know whether it's still possible to get the ATC 15-18k battery these days? I've searched for it on ebay, followed all the latest links in the thread and found only ended listings.

If it isn't, is there any equivalent "champion" some of you use?

• Guys I just got my Cinegear solution and it seems to work GREAT. Build quality isn't too encouraging but if I take care of it it should be fine. They provide multiple mounting solutions and it just works from the start which is nice. I ordered an original Sony battery plus charger from them and a couple of generics from Amazon. The charger is a travel charger and still seems to be charging one after all night plugged in...I may try and find another charger if that's really how long it takes. Also the battery they sent also appears generic.

Will know more after a field test, but in general it looks like if someone wants a safe turn-key way to run the thing for days, this is it.

• @vicharris thanks!

@zsero and vicharris, 9V shouldn't be of any problems to GH2, correct? What would be the estimated runtime of GH2 recording with this Anker baby?

Does Anker have some sort of battery indicator?

• Since ATC has disappeared totally, does anyone have any experience with Anker? Anker is generally regarded a very good value aftermarket battery (although I don't believe it's German as some people say). They have a 10000 mAh set, the Astro 3. The Astro 3E is 5V only, so it's not good for the GH2. But the normal Astro 3 seems to be good, but I don't know anything about the plugs.

product page

Amazon.com, $49, fulfilled by Amazon, 717 review, 4.5 stars

Amazon.co.uk, £32, fulfilled by Amazon, 363 review, 4.5 stars

And one review I found by googling for Anker Astro GH2: link

It says that everything works perfectly, but is is that easy? Does anyone have any experience with these?

Update: it seems Amazon.com's top 1, 2, 3, 4 batteries are all Anker.

Update 2: This is one of the amazon user uploaded images:

715fGpfHqVL.jpg
    500 x 375 - 174K
  • @Riker Holy crap, looks like they are all off of Ebay!! Not sure what happened. Search the web for external battery 15000mAh 9v. I know other venders sell them. Weird.

• @vicharris can't find ATC on eBay...link pls :)

• @kellar42 Get the ATC batteries at 15000 or 18000mAh. I have the 15000mAh and I can literally leave my camera on all day for two days of solid shooting and it still has some life left. I'm sure one will be fine especially the 18000mAh but grab two and you'll be fine for days! Problem solved and it fits perfect on a cheesplate mounted on rails right behind the camera.

• I don't know if this has been posted yet..

Could it be that he didn't use any step downs for this, just straight up from Juice to GH2? 3 Hours seems ok

• Glad I found this thread before ordering a bunch of GH2 batteries from Amazon. About to pull the trigger on the Cinegearpro solution. Need to camp in the jungle for a few days shooting.

• I want to make a DC coupler for 9V power supply out of a Chinese battery. I dismantled one, there is some circuitry. Is it enough to disconnect the power cells and solder proper wires to B+ B- points marked on the board?

gh2-battery-1.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 155K
    gh2-battery-2.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 127K
  • Is there any consensus on, say top 3 or top 5 reliable eBay/Amazon power solutions for GH2 that work near OOTB without soldering and watching the voltage etc?

• I finally have working battery system for my gh2.

It is based on: *Lanparte V-mount plate *V-mount high capacity battery * JAG35 GH2 Power Adapter

Everything works as expected. I was able to use the two 12V out on the V-mount plate interchangeably to power my GH2.

Just in case you wonder why I'm using 12V Out is because the JAG35 GH2 Power Adapter lowers it to be 8.4 V.

• !fredfred27 Ahhhhhh. Ok. One more question. Why on earth would you need 6 of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, that ones was a joke :) I have two GH2s now and was thinking of grabbing another too but I have a shitload of reg batteries now too.

• When battery packs do not charge, it can be that the charger does not recognize the battery because of lower voltage level than the charger expects, a voltage level which might still not be too low to destroy the battery. Had this problem with these cheap packs like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-12V-9800mAh-Super-Polymer-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-/140825469787?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item20c9da235b

The ones I had had a chrger supplied. But it a) did only rate 12V b) it´s primary curcuit transistor simply exploded after 30 seconds. 4 batteries, 4 times a bang

So I bought some laptop chargers to charge the batteries. Those chargers also 12,6V, now fitting the voltage of the batteries. But when voltage drops under 11.8V, after filming (which is still more than harmful discharge) the chargers do not recognize the battery any more. Workaround is to connect two batteries to the charger, one with a level over 12V . Now the charger will charge. This workaround should be harmless because I guess the batteries do some natural balancing during the charge and will both end up with - in my case -12.6V. Still test this workaround in a safe environment on your own risk. Had two batteries hooked to a charger several times over night. No heat, so sign of stressed electronics. Still I worry about the day I will take a plane, because batteries with such big capacity are not allowed on board (But, ironically are present in any passengers laptop) BTW I use 12V connected to a 9V voltage regulator on the GH2

• Why on earth would you need 3 of these?.My ATC 15000 just last me two days of shooting. Are you running multiple cameras?

• @fredfred27 maybe they sent you mine too.. still waiting! not a bad kicker though :)

• I bought three of these "ATC" power supplies from Ebay on Sunday, and they arrived today (Thursday). The price for this particular link has been fluctuating daily from $54.99ea. to $64.99ea. I bought at $64.99ea. (boo). Now here is the kicker...they sent me SIX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310511426154

The page says, "Free Gift". I really didn't expect a 2 for 1 deal. Don't know if it was a mistake on their part, or if that was the gift.

The power supplies work great with the GH2!

• @vicharris same thing but $20 cheaper...