Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
5.6" 1280x800 on camera monitor with peaking, aka H056
  • 344 Replies sorted by
  • @Tscheckoff

About "ask reviewer". If you go just backwards in this topic, you will find owners. PM them if you like.

As far as I know all of modern monitors support p50 and p60 in 1080 .

• interested to get that 5.6" monitor.

• Would this work with BMPCC?

• Same question here. Does the metal 5.6 work with the BMPCC? Thanks!

• Oh man the battery system sucks. If you shut down the monitor, but forget the battery in, it drains the battery empty extremely fast. Usually when you try to remove just the battery, the adapter usually comes out also! Then you have to remove the adapter AND the battery from the adapter if you want to charge the battery. So frustrating.

I'm not sure but when you put the battery to the adapter, there's green light that tells there's charge left in the battery. So it looks like that the adapter itself is also draining the battery.

• I am not sure about that exact monitor you are talking.

Oh man the battery system sucks. If you shut down the monitor, but forget the battery in, it drains the battery empty extremely fast. Usually when you try to remove just the battery, the adapter usually comes out also! Then you have to remove the adapter AND the battery from the adapter if you want to charge the battery. So frustrating.

How about just unplug the 12v thing that comes out of battery adaptor? :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I guess I have older version of this monitor. Front looks the same, back looks different. That new adapter thing with that cable looks terrible :)

• can someone post a video of that pic above , like rig with magic arm and how its working in action!! Thank you

• I guess I have older version of this monitor. Front looks the same, back looks different. That new adapter thing with that cable looks terrible :)

You have just different monitor, as this monitor had been same. And, no it does not look terrible.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Nope, my monitor says "H056" at the back. It has been changed. Actually I bought it from deals here and you delivered paying information to me.

• Nope, my monitor says "H056" at the back. It has been changed. Actually I bought it from deals here and you delivered paying information to me.

OK, not let's stop and think. We do not have H056 on deals for quite a time already. While topic started as one about H056 it is about their HD metal monitor for quite a while. And it was the same (I mean here construction) since production start.

• I have a monitor that looks exactly the same, even if there isn't written "H056" on it. It works fine with the BMPCC. On the back it says "HD Photography Monitor". Can even play back video from USB!

• @nomad

Thing is, it can be actually different monitor. Btw, H056 is codename of plastic monitor, not current one.

As far as I asked manufacturer directly (as we work with them for long time), this one exact model can have problems with BMPCC.

But it is really interesting. Can you make photos?

• bought one via ebay short after recommendation here in p-v but before it arrived in special deals. I was a little frustrated due to bad colors & contrast. I did use it rarely and was thinking of selling it again. But it works with the BMPCC and even so called peaking is not very helpfull it's not too bad for framing and focussing.

• @peaceonearth

Yep, just check year of manufacturing. We do not have such monitor on deals for quite a time. Only metal one.

Plus monitor manufacturers change panels form time to time :-)

• Photos? Sure, here you go. It is offered by two sellers in Germany for 227,- € including shipping. I went for it because the Seetec didn't work and I needed it really fast. No bad feelings here, I was able to sell the Seetec for the full price to a Canon 5D owner.

Monitor_Front.jpg
    1600 x 1287 - 149K
    Monitor_Back.jpg
    1600 x 1281 - 182K
  • @nomad

Yep, if you check, it is same monitor as on deals.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yep but the topic fits to my purpose perfectly. "5.6" 1280x800 on camera monitor with peaking, aka H056". All information matches. My monitor's back looks the same as in @peaceonearth pic and it's also very similar to the first post in this thread.

If the monitor is now different, why you don't create new topic for the "new metal version"? I mean, I use topic that was originally about my monitor and then I just get answer "you have different monitor".

• If the monitor is now different, why you don't create new topic for the "new metal version"? I mean, I use topic that was originally about my monitor and then I just get answer "you have different monitor".

Because it originally continued. Your monitor is no longer made as far as I know. It happens and it same with many electronic things. It makes no sense to complain about it or monitor shortcomings now.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Small talk forbidden? :|

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

As far as I asked manufacturer directly (as we work with them for long time), this one exact model can have problems with BMPCC.

Which model are you referring to? I have a BMPCC and would like to know which version works with it.

Thanks!

• They fixed the problem (via firmware), so now all good. It must work ok.

• Ghosting problem:

I bought this similar model (metal casing) from ebay, to use with BMPCC.

It arrived, but the panel seems to have horrible ghosting. I can do a fast pan from a sharp object to a white wall and still see the object shortly on the screen. Fast pans on vertical lines leaves 3cm "trails"... Is this normal? Will it go away? I'm new to these monitors so any advice would be appriciated. Thanks!

• @Jox: I also see the ghosting / image refresh lag on my H056 V2. But that´s a common problem with many field monitors. (Even with higher quality / more expensive ones.)

It´s just a little bit more pronounced on the H056. All in all I think it´s better to focus on the huge pros of it. ^^ (For example: The high resolution at 5.6", good build quality, evenly backlit image and the robustness. And also nice: The oversharpening filter - Which is also visible on lower contrast areas.

• @Tscheckoff Ok, good to know that at least it's not a faulty copy.

It's interesting that higher framerates give much less (or none) of the ghosting/refresh lag. It's a bit better when shooting at 30fps, and on my Panasonic GH1 (when connecting as 1080i/50htz) there is almost none visible. So it seems that the panel just can't cope with 24p/25p/30p fast enough.

Is there any reason why Blackmagic couldn't maybe give the choice to output the viewable signal at a higher framerate, using 50i/60i? This would solve the problem. I still much prefer the 24fps look of the final material, of course.