Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • Eagerly waiting for mine to arrive! SO, another question for the A7s guys.. for SLog2 exposure, I've seen it mentioned several times to ETTR by 2 stops. Does the A7s have exposure meter to note this?

• ETTR means something else. But yes, the camera has an exposure meter. It only goes up to +2.0 in video mode. It blinks when the exposure is above that. That's not ideal but it is good enough. You can also use auto exposure and exposure lock.

• @balazer Thanks for the prompt response! Just so I understand correctly, the meter should read +2.0 if you want to expose correctly for SLog2.

• Depends entirely on which LUT or other method of display conversion you want. But if you are aiming for +2.0, then yes, you want the exposure meter to say +2.0 and not blink. It's really easy. You won't have any problem with this.

• Any experience and suggestions about not-Metabones EF adapters? I heard good things about the Commlite http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111405519095?clk_rvr_id=770900266023&rmvSB=true. Any experience with stacked adapters to use also Nikon lenses (that is: Sony to EF + Canon to Nikon)? Thanks!

• my Commlite has been fine, got it from here, little cheaper than your link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commlite-ComTrig-AF-Mount-Adapter-EF-NEX-fr-Canon-Lens-to-Sony-IS-Exact-Exposure-/190923374863?

I.S. and aperture work well on Canon 70-200 2.8 mk2, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 17-55 2.8, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 105 2.8 - but cant get Canon 18-135 stm lens to work, presume its because of focus by wire

Here's some nicely graded footage

• @ade4all thanks for the tip! And great video also

• @ade4all can I ask you which lens is it at 00:30?

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 11.49.56.jpg
    947 x 530 - 89K
  • @flablo This wasn't shot by ade4all, but it was me that color graded it, this time i wasn't there while they where shooting but the cinematographer usualy uses his own Samyang set of primes, i'm about 100% shure that this is the 85mm.

• @JLemos thank you, and great color grade

• Michael Jackson Tribute video I shot with the Sony a7s

• Hey fellas - dumb question.. I'm using the Commlite EF adapter with the Canon 24-70 EF lens. I have the lens set to MF and when I turn the zoom ring, the manual focus assist doesn't automatically appear. I'm assuming that this is due to the adapter. I found the menu option to activate the assist but haven't been able to find out how to do it from the Function keys. Ideas?

Nm: found out how to assign Focus Magnifier to F2.

• Has anyone else seen exposure shifting after starting movie record?

NM: Found the setting. It turns out that I was in Manual Stills mode, instead of Manual Movie mode.

• I am trying to use a rented a7s with my Zacuto EVF Pro. I am getting the message "Unsupported Video Format 1080p60 YUV422" on the Zacuto screen.

I have the latest Zacuto firmware that has the a7 option for scaling and supports a7s use.

I am new to the a7s, so I am wondering what I am missing in the menus to set this up properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am on a paid shoot tomorrow and have very small windows of time between now and then for testing.

O

• Try to set the camera to interlace. It's actually not interlace, but PsF.

• That did it! Thanks!

• So that was my first real attempt with the sony a7s. All shot only with the Canon 24-105 L II, since changing lenses would have taken too long. When working with kids in a adventure program, everything goes real fast. In order to stay close to the action I had to choose either a long focal length or to run a lot. It was a small and low budget project for a social organization I worked for a couple of years ago. The weather conditions were harsh and we`ve been outdoors most of the time. Focus was hard to judge on the little screen – white balance as well. Even pressing the little Rec-Button when it is minus 10 degrees can be quite challenging. But it all worked out ok. For post I decided to learn more about Davinci and not to use any kind of LUTs.

• nice job sam! can you tell me what picture profile you used? thanks

• @sam that was fantastic! How did you make those cool transitions? Like to the trail head sign?

• 24-105 L II? Typo? Or did I (and my google searches just now) miss a successor to the 24-105/4L?

• @eatstoomuchjam sorry that was a Typo. 24-105 F4 L IS is the correct lens.

@mjfan that was cine4/cinema sharpness -7 everything else standard. You have to nail the white balance. that is tricky sometimes. especially with artificial light.

@TATZU playing with speed. playing clips backwards. zooming. choose the right camera movements to match clips and go from one scene to the next.

• @JLemos

What did you use to color grade, LUTS? Also did you use Noise Reduction as the image looks so clean, thanks