Personal View site logo
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for the reply Vitaliy. Just in case it helps, I have timed it (a few times) and according to my stopwatch it is 128 seconds - the camera then starts the NR countdown at 127 seconds, so you are looking for 128 or possibly 127.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Actually, the GX1 will provide an insight into how the GH3 control modes could be changed when you eventually come to it.

• One thing that really hacks me off (no pun intended :-) ) is the BULB MODE being limited to about 130 seconds.

I searched for this, but failed to find it yet.

• Hi Vitaliy Firstly a big thank you for the amazing work you have done! One thing that really hacks me off (no pun intended :-) ) is the BULB MODE being limited to about 130 seconds. If you have time would it be possible to remove this restriction in your hack? Many thanks Laurence

• They dont change the declared bitrate, Goto Bitrate Settings in Patches for Testers. change the Top settings for Declared bitrate.

• I left all your settings the same except under AVCHD Compression I changed 'Video Bitrate FSH/SH' to 42 from 90 and "Video Bitrate FH/H" to 35. I just loaded your full settings with no changes and shot the same video of the birds and saw a peak bitrate of 42mbs if that helps with anything.

• @newgx1 WHich bitrates did you change?

• I tried those combinations with the exception of the ripples and there was a high of 18Mbs. I then tried playing the birds video from http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-high-bitrate-sample-videos/ and recording it on camera. I saw a bitrate peak of 21mbs. I guess this means that patch is working?

• Try any of the following (or in combination): ripples on a pond, panning very wide angle landscapes, high ISO.

• Some additional information, I ran some tests recording cartoons on live tv, to stress the avchd and used bitrate viewer to analyze the stream. Looking at multiple videos I only saw peaks of up to 17mbs, which is similar to what I had before the patch. Is there something that I am missing or should I really see higher bitrates? Are there other factors that affect this such as the card that I am using ect?

• I loaded the driftwood settings but changed the bitrate to 42mbs for 1080i, but in Windows Explorer none of the files show higher than 17mbs?

• @ driftwood: Many thanks! worked as described, very stable and extreme good looking footage with a San Disk extreme pro 32 GB UHS1. After Testing the patch I reduced the 1080i bitrate to 42MB/S and 720 p to 35 MB/S. With these setting IC-playback works fine, which is very important to me for documentary purposes.

• Thanks, so the bitrate will not help here, and I believe there is no way to control the shutter speed in video except with the flicker red setting. The video was in bright sun and when panning was quite choppy so it would be nice to be able to fix this.

• Thats probably down to the shutter speed on some of the recordings you've seen. Ive noticed few problems on recordings. If you do load up the setting: You may experience no in camera playback due to the deficiencies of the GX1 decoder.

• I was about to load the driftwood settings into my firmware but I wanted to see what this would actually improve. I have noticed in video, on stock firmware, the image looks choppy/jittery when panning is this something the bitrate increase will improve?

• *** NEW *** Driftwood Gala~X~ian V2 (with GH3 Matrix on AVCHD modes)

Trial test of the GH3 AVCHD matrices on the GX1. Much bigger B frames for movement over previous setting. Tuned to the GH3 AVCHD matrix NOT the All-I Intra matrix. Test away. Don't be discouraged if recordings don't playback on camera. They work on the computer.

AVCHD modes on the GX1 are identical to the GH2 except 720p is 25/30 scan, AVC Profile 100 level 4.0.

NOTE: Before you ask - mp4 modes are constrained by the Baseline 66 profile so there isnt much that can be done to improve stock for the time being. Therefore there are NO changes over stock settings for mp4 recording modes.

Driftwood GX1 Setting - Gala~x~ian v2 (GH3 Matrix on AVCHD modes) - seti.zip
    914B
  • ...not as good at high ISOs, but still pretty good. It's a bit unforgiving on lenses, so unless you've got top of the line glass, or want to invest in M43, it may not be as cheap as it seems. I've paid as little as $340 for a refurb on Amazon, so it's great for B roll. Or C, D, E! Even unhacked, there's no video limit with AVCHD.

Also between the two, there's no 1080p/60 with the GX1.

• im able to get a used gx1 or nex5n for cheap in los angeles... how would you guys compare galaXian gx1 to nex-5n?

In camera playback is not that important for my use since it would be a b or c cam. thank you in advance.

• Of course not! The current hack is great and I could use my country language on the camera! I'm glad there are people that do this. They are simply great.

• Yes, it is in works... Vitaliy had not much time in sept/oct and said that in nov he probably will have more spare time and will try to push on his plans... Better not ask too often as it gets irritating soon :) We should let him work on that and if he will have some news, he definitely post it... He never let us (comunity) down in the past...

• So... Any news on the manual video controls? Is is still in development? I hope Vitality doesn't loose interest on this.

• It was earlier, some month ago i think... I was curious about the same thing so I noticed it :)

• @Jofo: Thanks for your comment. Haven´t seen these posts so far. Maybe had been to long sitting in front of my screen.

• Just got a japanese GX1 body for 400 USD on eBay.They're letting these go for a fraction of the original price now :) I'm really enjoying taking photos with it, much more than my GH2. Favorite color mode right now: Low key with +3 on exposure and tinted slightly warm. Looking forward to manual video!

• @Cetacea: Max ISO limit removal doesn't do anything in this fase.. It will take place together with manual video controls when implemented... Vitaliy has stated this a couple of times... We need to wait until manual controls will be implemented to use this option.