Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @tinbeo: Here is a YouTube with an excellent comparison of the Hero2 and the Black. Note particularly the lack of moire and amazing resolution in the ISO charts at 1080p :)

. www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvPBBHAuiI

• @tinbeo: The key mode (for me) of the HD3 Black is 2K7cine 24p Protune, 45Mbps. Gives me the ability to video a wide area (eg a room) and then extract footage from a small region, retaining adequate resolution for YouTube (etc). Protune allows for nice color and density grading in pp, along with fast, clean, removal of sensor noise with DNR in virtualdub or Vegas.

• Nope, black has new sensor/ lens and many more shooting modes. Silver has the sensor and electronics from the superseded HD2 model.

image.jpg
    857 x 1860 - 329K
  • Gp Pro Siver is $100 less at best buy. Look the same to me , just lack of wifi remote

• I have been using the AVIsynth Defish filter to correct for lens distortions. I don't have the optimum values yet, but this looks pretty good with 2.7K Cinema:

Defish(a=0.00173, b=-0.000032, c=-0.2004, aspect=1.886)

It seems the lens is standard rectilinear geometry.

The Dynamic Noise Reduction filter for Virtualdub gets rid of GP3 noise very well indeed, but increases motion blur. The standard sharpener, set between 32 and 64, crisps the Protune images up quite nicely.

All in all, a nice video camera added to my arsenal, and one which fits easily into my camera case...

• @filthy The phone app does not work with the Black GP3. The Bk GP3 has an item removed from its WiFi menu. Some older models did have the "tablet" item included, but the upgrades have removed it.

• @trevmar - Are you saying that the phone app that's currently out isn't working with your new GP3?

• @mpgxsvcd Very good video :) Thanks for the tip on the frame mount :) I also see the battery charging freeze problem in mine, from the latest batch shipped direct from GoPro.

You might also mention that you will need a Class 10 card for Protune. If the camera runs for 5 seconds and stops, the card is probably too slow. I use a UHS-1 Sandisk 64G.

I really, really, need the phone app before I start playing with the FOV options. They say 14 Dec. It will be interesting to see if they make that deadline...

• Here is a guide to how I have my GoPro 3 setup and some tips on how to handle some of the issues with it.

• My Hero3 has arrived. Been fiddling with it a few hours. First impressions are that there is something wrong with 4K, it gives far too much noise. The best resolution/noise/grading tradeoff appears to be 2.7K 24fps Protune, and I suspect the camera was tuned for this. Very low noise in my dimly lit test room, clear crisp video. Looks nice, 48Mbps

I can't seem to get my android app to connect, this appears to be because the Hero3 firmware upgrade I received did not include 'tablet' support in the wifi menu.

Will shoot an ISO test sheet for resolution and moire, and post it tomorrow. But I just wanted to report that the resolution seems to be sharp (at least when the lens is not inside the protective case). Will check the lens geometry later in the weekend..

For testing I am using a variety of software, but VLC appears to handle the large screen sizes comfortable. The MediaInfo data is attached.

2K7_24fps_Protune.txt
  • Continuing... ;)

Playing around with 5DtoRGB. I had previously directly imported the MP4 file into After Effects. This time, I brought it into 5D first, then AE. What I found is that you get a much flatter image running it through 5D first, using 601. And it's not just a gamma shift, as I tried to bring the shadows back up in the original MP4, but all there was left was chunky noise. Here's a sample with Neat Video and slight color correction, same settings applied to both, with slightly tweaked NR for the 5D version's additional detail (tried not to blur it to death):

GoPro MP4:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/6f/73e8300280e05b1ccec2569c29edfa.jpg

5DtoRGB ProRes 422 HQ 601:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/40/f7b237ef2ee0cf0a7fbd2811686936.jpg

You can easily see the separation of the trees from the sky now, and the center of the headlight beam isn't about to be blown out. For the other settings, 709 has very little effect beyond shifting colors a bit (reds look more accurate, insignificant mids boost), and Full/Broadcast Range has zero effect.

MP4.jpg
    2704 x 1440 - 295K
    5D.jpg
    2704 x 1440 - 387K
  • Some more good stuff. Just hooked my GP3 up to my Swivi monitor. On the live feed display, it shows the mode icon in the upper left, Protune (if on) below it, then the resolution, frame rate, and viewing angle below that. Recording time (current time/max available) is top center, battery meter in the upper right, and WiFi status in the lower right. This probably also means it's not worth it to record the HDMI feed, since there doesn't seem to be a a way to get rid of the icons.

Now the big improvement: a setup menu GUI! :D I'm thinking it's the same as what you'd see on the LCD Touch BacPac, since it looks very similar. SOOOOO much easier to navigate than the front/remote LCD. Love it. :)

Interestingly, you can't play back any videos on the monitor. I guess the LCD Touch BacPac adds either the required software or hardware, since it seems like the GP3 can't do it by itself.

A final note: audio also comes through the HDMI feed. Not very useful since you can't control anything, but you could monitor what it's picking up if you have the right equipment.

• Just picked up "The Frame". Not as soft as it looks in the video. Only the top is soft, the rest is rigid. Gonna have to Dremel out an HDMI port hole.

Also of note, it's changed a bit from what's shown on the site. It now has dense screens over the mic holes, and another screen on top that has a couple of angled pieces in front. Not a clue what that's for. Also has holes for the lights that it covers up.

• Alright, it's ready!

• Just tested mine a bit last night while driving home. First impressions: low light is significantly better, most likely due to (obviously) the better sensor, but also Protune. The GP2 had weird noise. It had the regular mushy chroma stuff, but also rectangular blocks, most likely caused by the sharpening of the standard profile. The noise on GP3 w/ Protune looks much more normal, and Neat Video has no problem reducing it. Rendering a (shaky) handheld test right now. :)

• No luck in New York. Now I am trying San Diego. Anyone seen them there?

• Some Best Buys around me have them in stock. I'm in FL, so yeah, "around me" includes a 60mi radius. ;) I'll wait for them to get to the 2 closer stores in between before I pick up a 2nd. My first arrives tomorrow!!! :D

• bought 2 black editions at best buy tonight, and I think some walmarts have them, possibly target as well

next question is, what's the best hilicopter or quad for one? i was looking at this one, any other suggestions? http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/quads/vc-450-quad-witespy-fpv-rtf.html

• I have one ordered from Go-PRO and was given a 14 Nov delivery date. I suspect that is the next shipment arrival.

• Anybody who knows where I can find a GP3 on Manhattan? Sold out in every Best Buy.

• @GravitateMediaGroup I'm a victim of the battery issue with my two GP3's. As near as I can tell its a problem with the first wave of cameras. People that are getting them now aren't reporting the problem (It's more than just a charging problem BTW. Lokups and erratic behavior).

Tech support is worse than worthless. I ordered a new one that will be here next week and my other two are going back. If it works, I'll live with one camera because I don't need the headaches.

• Sorry if this has been cleared up already, but I remember seeing somebody post about battery charging issues? Was this just 1 random faulty camera, or have others had the same issue? I have also seen some other reviews saying the hero 3 freezes up and you have to take the battery out to reset? Also, I am guessing it is possible to use a monitor with mini hdmi from camera to mini hdmi with adapter to the LCD?

• I am perfectly happy with the 2.7k @ 24 fps and 30 fps modes on the GP3. Those modes are great for wide angle shots that cut into the GH2/3 footage.

• True, the FZ200 is Ginormous, by size and weight comparison. And it is twice as expensive. I wish I could use the LX7 instead... It is just that for the job I need done -- clean wide angle 1080p -- the performance doesn't seem to be there in the GoPRO3 yet. Maybe a firmware update will get it there, but I suspect the lens resolution might be an issue.

• @trevmar

I see the FZ200 as a great alternative to the GoPro if you don't need the small size and durability and you need a larger focal range.