Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @shamo42

I think the one thing that we can say for sure is that in Pro-Tune 2.7K mode the GP3 is extremely flexible in getting whatever look you are going for.

• Is there any way at all to control the shutter speed ? How is the flicker if used under fluoro lights at 120fps ?

• @zcream

No you cannot control shutter speed beyond 120 FPS tries to use a shorter shutter duration than 60 FPS. And 60 FPS tries to use a shorter shutter duration than 30 FPS.

I didn't notice any flickering with the 120 FPS in fluorescent lighting. It is very noticeable in that gym with the GH2 and faster than 1/125 shutter speed. However, the 120 FPS mode applies so much noise reduction in low light that you really can't tell.

There is extreme aliasing with the 720p wide mode. Therefore, you really need to use the narrow angle mode. However, that mode is only available in Pro-Tune which shows too much noise. Basically the 120 FPS mode is for outdoor use only.

• I think you must have strange rock climbing dreams. In color.

• It's yet to be determined how the 720p 120fps is rendered in the camera. It could be WVGA (848x480) up scaled ( which was proven how the 720p in the HD1 was derived) or a pixel binning/skipping combo. Something is causing it to display jagged edges. It's not one of the native modes like 2.7k, 1440 or 1080.

• This 720/120fps looks good to me...and yes, best to shoot outdoors in this mode:

• I might even throw an action shot of me reading a book at 120fps slowed down to 24fps.. flipping a page will be featured!

Just make sure you're outdoors, preferably stretched out on a pool chair with Mai Tai in other hand and sultry look, bat eyelashes in slowmo :-)

• Nice edit in the skate park! Although I find myself somewhat agreeing with subco, TOO much slow mo starts making it look bland. Overuse takes away the "awe" of it all.

I can't wait to see subco's slowmo edit of his extreme book reading! I bet there will be low bassy Matrix sound effects when he turns that mutha!

• Alright! My GP3 finally shipped! :D I see Best Buy online also has them available, so get to it! ;) Hope mine arrives before the weekend (waiting for tracking to update). Gonna have some fun! :3

• I can't seem to find confirmation of this anywhere but maybe someone hear can help?

I have the GoPro 2 as well as the LCD Bacpac and a couple of batteries - are either of these accessories compatible with the GP3?

• They are, though the LCD BacPac has limited functionality since it's not touch screen like the new one. They're also deeper than the new versions, so I assume the unique housing backs for each are still compatible with the new front housing.

• @mythmaker

My legacy battery pack does not work with my GP3 Black. It shuts off after every recording when I try to use it. I just bought 3 new batteries for the GP3 instead.

• I have been very uneasy with the actual resolution in the 2.7K and 4K videos posted by mpegxsvcd. I am familiar with staring at excellent 1920x1080 video while editing content from the superb lenses of the FZ200 and LX7, and the smooth video out of my Canon M41 camcorder. And I just don't see pixel-level resolution in these clips.

I downloaded the original MP4 files from Vimeo, and processed them with MeGUI's "AVS Script Creator" tool, indexing the file with Donald Graft's software. Looking at the video frame by frame MeGUI previewer allows a 1:1 view or a scaled ('fit to screen') view of the larger frames. A 1:1 section of a frame from the 2.7K video is attached below. It is quite clear to me that there is significant resolution loss at the pixel level, possibly in noise reduction, possibly in compression. The bottom line is that I am not seeing better resolution than that from a top 1920x1080 camera

For example, the GH2 footage shows detail in the child's hair which is totally missing in the 2.7K GoPRO image, yet even the GH2 image is unsatisfying to me when I pixel-peep it.

Maybe I am just too demanding, but I have cancelled my GoPRO3 order. I was looking to use the GoPRO3 for B-roll, but this is not adequate resolution to seamlessly slice into the crisp 1920x1080 from any of my A-roll sources. The GoPRO lens is wider than the LX7, but it is often tough to deal with the optical aberration from the fish-eye lens.

I really appreciate the footage which been posted here. Thanks to everybody who has worked on it. But my personal decision is to wait for something cleaner. If I did skateboard/surfboard/etc action-footage, I am sure the GoPRO3 would give me excellent video, crisp at the 720p pixel level. But I don't need that. I need video which can be edited into my current 1080p sources, and which will not look out of place when viewed on a large flat-screen monitor or TV.

pixel-by-pixel.jpg
    935 x 809 - 439K
  • @trevmar I don’t think any of us actually expected the 2.7k and 4K modes to deliver even more than 1080p performance. With that sized sensor and this price that simply isn’t a reasonable assumption.

The GP3 definitely does a lot more noise reduction than I would like especially in non-protune mode. I took some stills during video and it seems to use ISO 400 as a max in all but the darkest situations. That is because ISO 400 REALLY has a lot of noise when compared to something like the GH2.

Most of the samples I posted are in very poor light. You can’t imagine how bad this light is until you actually see it. I wouldn’t totally rule the GP3 out if you shoot outdoors or especially if you can control the lighting.

I think the GP3 is a better alternative to buying a 7-14mm for filming in low light situations. Now maybe the GH3 will change that but right now with my GH2 I don’t think I am going to be able to do ultra wide angle any better.

All I can say is that shooting ultra wide and narrow simultaneously is very cool. It is so nice to be able to do the job of two people with one person and 1 camera. No lens is going to be able to reproduce that.

• This is interesting. The 1080p @ 24 FPS medium angle of view looks identical to the 2.7K mode cropped to 1080p. Why not record in 2.7K mode for 24 FPS? If you need a narrower angle of view just crop it.

GoPro 1080p 24 FPS.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    GoPro 2,7K cropped to 1080p.png
    2028 x 1080 - 2M
    GoPro 300007.png
    2704 x 1440 - 5M
  • 2.7k makes a lot of sense for stabilizing in post, too. So yeah, why not shoot with it?

• @mpgxsvcd

All I can say is that shooting ultra wide and narrow simultaneously is very cool. It is so nice to be able to do the job of two people with one person and 1 camera. No lens is going to be able to reproduce that.

True, but I am using my FZ200 to do the wide angle view now. I could use the LX7, but for the abominable 30 minute limitation on clip length. Below is what I get from my FZ200 during an actual shoot of a lecture recently in Saint Petersburg (note the moire)(note also the low light in the room by noting the bloom from the slide projector). I had been hoping the GoPRO3 4K would allow me to crop a 1080 window from the 4K, even allowing for the lower 4K frame rate, but I don't see that as a possibility just yet.

Thanks for all your help, though...

vlcsnap-2012-10-18-20h07m52s23.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @trevmar

I see the FZ200 as a great alternative to the GoPro if you don't need the small size and durability and you need a larger focal range.

• True, the FZ200 is Ginormous, by size and weight comparison. And it is twice as expensive. I wish I could use the LX7 instead... It is just that for the job I need done -- clean wide angle 1080p -- the performance doesn't seem to be there in the GoPRO3 yet. Maybe a firmware update will get it there, but I suspect the lens resolution might be an issue.

• I am perfectly happy with the 2.7k @ 24 fps and 30 fps modes on the GP3. Those modes are great for wide angle shots that cut into the GH2/3 footage.

• Sorry if this has been cleared up already, but I remember seeing somebody post about battery charging issues? Was this just 1 random faulty camera, or have others had the same issue? I have also seen some other reviews saying the hero 3 freezes up and you have to take the battery out to reset? Also, I am guessing it is possible to use a monitor with mini hdmi from camera to mini hdmi with adapter to the LCD?

• @GravitateMediaGroup I'm a victim of the battery issue with my two GP3's. As near as I can tell its a problem with the first wave of cameras. People that are getting them now aren't reporting the problem (It's more than just a charging problem BTW. Lokups and erratic behavior).

Tech support is worse than worthless. I ordered a new one that will be here next week and my other two are going back. If it works, I'll live with one camera because I don't need the headaches.

• Anybody who knows where I can find a GP3 on Manhattan? Sold out in every Best Buy.

• I have one ordered from Go-PRO and was given a 14 Nov delivery date. I suspect that is the next shipment arrival.

• bought 2 black editions at best buy tonight, and I think some walmarts have them, possibly target as well

next question is, what's the best hilicopter or quad for one? i was looking at this one, any other suggestions? http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/quads/vc-450-quad-witespy-fpv-rtf.html