Personal View site logo
Panasonic G3 official topic
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • GH2 body, battery, card weigh close to 1lb. Canon 600D, battery, card weigh 1.26 lb. The cards weigh same. GH2 battery is lighter than 600D battery. So... there's very little difference in the body weight. Slap all metal adapter on GH2. There goes additional .2 ~ .4 lb. GH2 is small only w/ m43 pancakes.

Really... who cares about GF or G lines? Make'em more cute for girls. Make GH more masculine!!!
  • I want a heavier camera with more buttons!

This is the perfect camera for me! GH1 is too small and too lightweight. I am a man, there are muscles on my arm! I'm not a wimpy schoolgirl! :P GH3? ??? ????? Pfpfpfpfpfpfffff...
  • Man that is ugly, i am not going to sleep well tonight.
    Go on buy Canon than.
    I am happy with my gh2, i like girly things.
    Let me check one more time, oh i am a girl in men forum.
  • That's tiny LCD. We need a big shopping window LCD on GH3.
  • That I really want to see is camera with viewfinder, bunch of buttons and controls and no LCD.
    I think that we'll see such class of cameras in coming years.
  • I luv the swivel LCD... versatile for low position... cuz I don't wanna lay down on the ground.

Can you talk to Panasonic representatives about designing GH3's EVF like a eyecup placeholder like this?
  • >Can you talk to Panasonic representatives about designing GH3's EVF like a eyecup placeholder like this?

It won't help, believe me :-)
    You must design and manufacture some thing that'll be attached to flash mount and will have Canon or Nikon type connector for rubber eyecup.
  • VK Wrote:
    "That I really want to see is camera with viewfinder, bunch of buttons and controls and no LCD.
    I think that we'll see such class of cameras in coming years."

Oh man I hope so! That would be so cool! Just as long as it has HDMI output with full monitoring + optional settings overlay!

It's what I thought when digital SLRs first hit the shelves... I went:

/What?? an LCD?? Why??? Nooooo. It's a digital camera, it needs a digital camera's viewfinder: An EVF! Not OVF!!/

I was finally answered when M4/3 came out - about the EVF anyway. Now if they would just lose that LCD, that would be grand!

• New camera designs going to be totally opposite than what you are wishing. We are going to see bigger lcd s with touch screen controls.
  • >New camera designs going to be totally opposite than what you are wishing. We are going to see bigger lcd s with touch screen controls

Don't be so sure :-)
  • It must have looked like this.

One color only.
    pink_small.jpg
    700 x 700 - 45K
  • I like the size of the G3, but as a old film camera user, it is not a photography tool, its more toy like gadget! Panasonic needs to look at leica M9, thats the way to go when it comes to control layout! The new sensor, ah... I dont know if its a good way to go by adding more mpixls!! to a MFT sensor!!!? It would be better to address problems like noise, dynamic range and shadow detail!
  • Thom's comment on 43rumors.
    I think that words must sound like an ambulance siren for Panasonic managment (if we still have someone alive).

For its likely target audience, I don’t see any glaring issues with what Panasonic took away or changed.
    Even the sensor issue, if it turns out to be what we expect (raw still poor) isn’t necessarily an issue on an entry DSLR because most entry users don’t shoot raw. You have to consider the G3 against something like the D3100. In that context, I actually admire Panasonic’s tight focus as compared to Nikon’s sprawling attempt to hand hold the user and provide options.
    I should also point out that we’re seeing some evidence that Panasonic cameras are appealing more to women than some other brands. I’ll leave the sexist commentary that will ultimately follow such an observation to others. Again, I don’t see a problem given the target and likely users of the camera. On a GH3, we might be able to argue about such changes, but not on the entry G3.

First, it is quite strange to wait for RAW in modern camera, as all cameras output processed RAW now.
    It is not raw, it is half baked JPEG. This is not bad or good.
    Look at JPEG and live with it.

Second, idiotic obsession with 1600-3200 perfomance comparison that takes 80% of discussion after each new camera. It is just sick.

Third. "Target audience" exist only in Thom mind and, in completely different form, marketolog's mind. My refer to pink camera is good point at whole situation on this front :-)

Next. Title of this topic is "All the same shit" is exact description of situation. Panasonic managers have best sensor tech, best enigeer's and best chips. And result is "G3 against something like the D3100"?
    That we are seening is Panasonic wasting his advantage. This is why Thom and Nikon like it.

One more time - I do not think that G3 is bad camera or it'll sell bad.
    I think that it is full of wasted opportunities. And we certainly have people who are responsible for this.
  • Well said!

• Well let me ask you this, based on all the sample shots released, and shown, what do you think of the jpeg color output of the G3? Better or worse vs the GH2/G2? If so do you there is a way to hack the GH2/G2 to get the different jpeg output of the G3? Thanks
  • >Noisier sensor compensated by math (read - more details blur).

The preview samples on DPReview go against that speculation. :)
  • >Better or worse vs the GH2/G2?

No one knows it, as final firmware do not exists.

>The preview samples on DPReview go against that speculation. :)

I do not know how DPReview JPEG samples can go agains it.
    No one, except engineers at Panasonic is aware of real sensor noise.
    That we clearly know that we have some new math applied. And we do not know how it'll work in real life.
    May be it is best for still images shoot at certain shutter speeds (read - for sites shooting tests).
    May be stationary position of camera is crituque.

In reality all imaging industry needs is special laws that are opposite to patents - laws about complete disclosure of algorithms used in consumer equipment.
  • I'm considering getting a G3 as a "B" cam for GH2. Haven't found, though, any proper AB test to compare the video from both cameras. But judging from random footage I've seen it looks like G3 video is kinda soft compared to GH2. Anyone who has both to confirm or dispel my apprehension?

• @zigizgi Theres litte difference in 720p mode between GH2/G3 but 1080 mode on G3 looks almost like a upscale and is softer than GH2 1080p mode.

• Can hacking help to improve resolution or is it a permanent hardware thing?

• Where is the official G3 hack with information on what it does exactly to the video settings on the camera? Thank you.

• Thank you. I believed I successfully hacked my G3, only to find my 8GB card (30mb/S, extreme, raid 10) can only record 10 minutes, instead of about an hour previously with the factory settings (unhacked). I used setf.ini by @pvdog. What I would like is a trade-off: a hack that gives me better quality than factory settings and gives reasonable use of HD card capacity. I believe @pvdog's hack is at 49mb/S, so is there a hack in the range of 15-25mb/S?

I can buy a larger capacity SD card and I probably will anyway, but high cost is not something I can currently afford. I'd love a GH3, or even a G5, but finances do not permit at present. I want to make best use of what I currently have.

Thank you, BT.

• Incredible, comparing the dpreview images from GH3 and G3 it's amazing how close behind the cheap, small G3 is. Now handling the camera is something you barely can get used to but the image quality for the price and size can't be beaten. Sorry but Panasonic will never allow us to enjoy manual mode on the G3, it would steal the whole show and more from the new cameras! If there is a hack coming they will buy it and bury it... maybe..