Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Here is a video clip i did with "Cluster v7 'AN' 12/15 GOP (DREWnet) with cbrandin/driftwood '444 Sharp2 Matrix" I used VIVITAR fd lens, and a canon 35-70. Watch it in vimeo so you can see it in HD.

• Yep. All intra. Very good settings, very stable and very well tested.

• @Mirrorkisser Sedna settings are intra?

• For those who have teted Sedna settings. I have tested a lot of different settings. In a moment my favorit is still CM Night, also Boom is quite awesome, but mainly sufer weak blue chanel. So what sedna settings would be best of Sedna series (do not want to test all of them, because you already have done that). Thanks advansd.

• @stray: thats my observation aswell. Sedna still seems to be the best allround settings. I stick with them, too. You might want to try the valkyrie settings, especially 1.5b, which is not all intra, but excellent.

• @driftwood. Nick, we have not seen any comments from you recently. I just wanted to make sure you and the family are doing OK. The hell with the settings and hacks and patches. Cheers.

• @cam_boy I've been pulling sky keys a bit myself recently so your results are interesting. Personally I've found that both AN and Intravenus really aren't as good as sedna A for that kind of work. Both AN and Intravenus to my eyes are producing less detail (they are smoother deliberately after all) than the sedna patches, do you think this is making pulling a key with Intravenus easier ?. I'm finding edges are very difficult with this patch, though the skies I'm dealing with aren't blue. I'm pulling keys with primatte and creating my own despill mask from edge detection masks, so its pretty easy with sedna and AN/Intravenus. However, the results are a lot better with sedna. The reason why I switched to sedna was the shot involved a roof with small tiles and as the roof is quite far away in the shot I was getting bad moire with both AN and Intravenus that wasn't there with sedna. The other reason for switching to sedna relates to what driftwood said about potential blocking problems in shadows. Yeah, they're there, but they are only an issue if you want to lift them, which I think I might have to.

I can say with pretty good confidence that there is no real, as in gobsmacking, improvement to the blue channel with these new patches, in fact I think its slightly worse than sedna.

• please, how can I disable Pasadena Audio Patch in AN?

• I have been testing out both "Apocalypse now BOOM" & "Intravenus v1" for a few weeks now and I am really liking what Intravenus is doing with the blue channel.

I tested the performance of the two patches by filming trees from wide angles and close up, which I would then key out the blue from the sky in the background. I was floored by how easy it was to pull a clean matte, specifically with Intravenus! While Apocalypse Now BOOM did a great job with a key, there was still a bit of jaggies and blocking around the edges, where intravenus had virtually smooth flawless edges.

I then attempted to do the same thing with footage from an earlier date that was using sedna, the matte was okay, but nothing in comparison to these recent patches.

Bravo driftwood and Cbrandin for the great work with the matrices.

I'm sure Driftwood will build on top of the performance that these two patches bring to the table. I just hate having to check back in every day to see if a new one has been released or not! :)

• @nomad yeah that would make sense if FSH showed the same characteristic but its only HBR that shows this....just an observation. wonder if anyone else is seeing this maybe

• Enough whinging. Sheesh, what's it been, a week since Nick announced his next rev? Relax, hummingbirds. You can survive on such substandard, barely adequate patches like v7 till Nick slides down your chimney again. Or we can form an angry mob and go stand outside his flat and all yell "FAIL!!" in unison because he announced a patch before he and his betas were ready to share it.

I don't know. I've got some important shoots coming up - walking around in my backyard pointing at shrubbery, a "spec" rap video, and yet another montage of tourists walking down the street (man these never get old) - and I can't bear the thought of shooting them on such unwatchable crap as AN v7. It would be an insult to everything I - nay, we as a filmmaking community - hold sacred.

So I will WAIT, and I will WHINGE with the rest of you. Nick!! NICK!!!!! FAIL!!! FAILY FAIL FAILWHALE!!

• people are looking to the new cameras too fast. There is way less activity in all GH2 hack threads. But people dont realize it might take months till the gh3 is availabe and hacked...

• @rajamalik: Yep, this time it seems it's a dead thread.

• @driftwood I´ll come alive with the new settings coming...

• This thread is going dead it seems :(

• Tell your NLE that it's progressive, many program s treat this as interlaced.

• I have noticed Nebula v7sharp2 in HBR 25p sharp edges(box corners etc) have a jagged interlaced look. In 24 , FSH, and 720 it is fine. PAL mode.

• Cant wait to test the new patches... i recently recorded a video clip, i´ll post in a while...

• @getmezzy use cluster v7 for these sd cards.

• @thepalalias why there is no all iframe setting in 720p on 60fps mode?? Is it not possible to reach with gh2?? Hai I read an article about hobbit. You are rite higher frame rate production improves motion and detail on moving object. Watched some scarlet 3k 48p footage dsam on YouTube. They are good. I never tried much on 720p in gh2. I would sure this time. Waiting for the most amazing intravenus cinema smooth matrix ;)

• @driftwood what setting I should use for wide shots/fish eye/ultra wides? Using 12-35x Lumix lens, boom or intravenus?

• also.. what is the standard bit rate / mbps supposed to be with the AN patch? it just feels really low when i look at my file sizes!

• does this patch work with the 30mbps SD card? actually, what is the lowest card it will work with?

• @strancali Sorry I was out for a few days, but is like @nomad says it all depends on your shot. I love my 25mm but some day I'll buy the 17.5mm for more wide angle shots. They did another thing different with the 17.5mm and is the de-clicked aperture ring. The patch depends too. .095F to 3.0f i use sharp2 for other apertures I used soft.

• @orgie18 Looks promising ;)

Could you please render that out as 2160x1080 square? to see the whole potential:) (someone correct me if thats not correct resolution)