Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @kavadni Previous angles were 170, 127, and 90 degrees. Should be similar, if not exactly the same, this time around.

• I really like how much extra room you have to crop or stabilize from shooting 2716x1440/24 to a 1920x1080 project:

resChart-crop.png
    2716 x 1440 - 36K
  • GoPro has the best "hold" music ever! I have to find out what music this is. I almost don't want them to pick up the phone.

• Ive no idea really, just a hacking thought... why couldn't 2x hero 3 cameras shoot side by side in 4K and splice together for 25fps or 30fps ??

• @fosterchen

Check out Ragecam or ebay, there are options.

• The hack I'd like to see would be adding small c-mount fast zoom/prime lenses to it...

• Has there been any report on the size of the sensor?

Also what FOV do 'Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow' equate to?

• @danyyyel

The GoPro wouldn't be my first choice to shoot a movie with. In fact it really only excels at one thing. It shoots close up action better than just about anything else. It is not that hard to make a single purpose device like this be relatively inexpensive. It would be a whole different thing to make a Pro video camera this inexpensive.

• Again another lesser smaller camera company like blackmagic that shows off the price/performance ratio of todays sensor and imaging asic compared to what the fat established ones are selling at. Some would defend price of the Canon C300/C100 !!!!!!!

• 4K has two frame rate options for the two different aspect ratios (16:9 and 17:9). Same with some other higher res settings. May be a bandwidth limitation, so they thought of a useful workaround.

• I have a feeling that the GOPro 3 mounted on the GH3 will give some really cool perspective to action shots. The go pro probably weighs next to nothing but it offers so much versatility.

I will just look at the GoPro 3 as the GH3's 120 FPS mode. Not bad for a $399 add on.

• It looks like there is also a 4K @ 15 FPS option for NTSC customers. That will be good for low motion shots I suspect.

• Most interesting thing I see (beyond all the other insane specs!) is in the White Balance section. They have auto and three color temp presets, and then they have "Cam Raw"....

• 4K 12fps is actually really cool for sport people who want to pick out a bunch of photos of themselves in action. I can't think of any affordable alternative for POV photography in high speed situations. It's a niche, but paying attention to niches has brought GoPro a long way.

• I wonder if there is an allotment of GoPro Black's headed to retail stores? That might be a way to get it quicker.

• 45mbs...that's cool.

Didn't hear anything about in-camera stabilization. Probably not in this version.

• @BlueBomberTurbo Thanks for the link. 64GB would give roughly 3 hrs recording.

• @mpgxsvcd They just said "your order will be delayed." I guess I missed the boat.

• @stonebat

What estimated ship date did they tell you when you ordered yours?

• GoPro is recommending SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC. Looking for a deal while waiting for the preorder :)

• Anyone recommendation for Micro SDHC card? With 45Mbps, 1 hr recording would require around 20GB space.

• They have put the ordering back up. Shipping in mid November now. I ordered one. I would like to mount it on a GH3 with the 35-100mm F2.8 or 25mm F1.4. That way I can get good 1080p @ 60 FPS video with a tight shot and good 720p @ 120 FPS wide angle at the same time. All while controlling both cameras from my phone.

That sounds like a good combination to me.

• Initial Batch is sold out already. I started to order one. Went for a quick run and they were sold out when I got back. Shucks.

• I think the GoPro boys are happy with the Launch.

557700_10151251872326919_1413265417_n.jpg
    480 x 448 - 62K