Personal View site logo
Cinematics mattebox topic
  • 84 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, this one is plastic knob. I don't like the weak knob.

• @PixCanFly , thank you very much, this is a great thing.

• @PixCanFly , do you have a link to that raiser ?

• Is it still possible to get deals or set up group buys on Cinematics Matte boxes?

• Can consider a riser for second set of rods to adjust the mattebox both vertically and horizontally. This is riser is not too expensive and it will allow you to adjust the mattebox position to any camera setup. Anyway, I think all these mattebox are made too BIG and heavy for dslr shooting. I found the weight and size of Genus mattebox the best for dslr, but the Genus is expensive.

Riser.jpg
    500 x 500 - 85K
  • Here's a question: does anyone use the two filter trays on their Cinematics matte box with 4x4 polarizers, to achieve a variable ND effect? Any reason why this wouldn't work as well as prefab variable NDs that screw directly onto the lens? My hope is that it'll be much more ergonomic, allowing me to adjust ND level without reaching awkwardly in front of the matte box to rotate a lens filter.

• I just ordered one of these myself. I'd have liked some control over vertical configuration--like on the much cheaper (though poorly built and poorly featured) FilmCity matte box, which I presently own.

I understand that generally people center matte boxes vertically by adjusting the height of their camera. However, for people with battery grips or with additional gear mounted under their camera (in my case, a huge red bolt attaching the bracket of a Varavon viewfinder loupe), most baseplates won't go low enough to match the standard matte box height.

I plan to remove the red bolt supporting my Varavon viewfinder, and use my Fotga quick release plate to hold it directly onto the camera. That should let me bring the camera down low enough to match the center height of this matte box.

• I have to say that it is pretty quick to set up. My only issue is height. My 14-140 is almost touching the top edge and then I got one of these... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770449-REG/SHAPE_RODSUP3_Double_Sliding_Rod_Block.html My lens was now too low even with the block at it's smallest height adjustment. I've heard that the ReWo cage is a good match, but they are out of stock. I would say for the money, this is a very good MB and I've used Chroszeil and the like in the past... Not saying it's as good, but for that price, you'd be crazy to expect it to be. Just have some way of adjusting height of your cam to match the ring's center.

• @GMan1701

Nope, just use camera base with adjustment. Like Lanparte. Most bases allow adjustments.

• Does anyone know if has vertical height adjustment?

• New mattebox from Cinematics

This is a moderate priced mattebox in a complete package with flags all around and swing-away feature. Asking price is about $500 including shipping and that has to be considered a decent price for a mattebox. Three years ago I got a small Proaim mattebox that has worked during the early days of DSLR shooting. Quality wasn't to great but it held my filters and provided some shade. One of the reasons I got one was to make a DSLR look more like a film camera. But you can use a rubber lens hood as a lens shade way cheaper than getting a mattebox so this must no be the sole reason. Then again the times you need filters a mattebox is just the tool to use.

The top/bottom and side flags are in metal and of thick metal with velvet on the inside. These pop in and you tighten knobs to have them securely attached. Two things that I dislike with these are firstly the way the side flags extends. The sliding mechanism isn't the greatest. Secondly, the flag knobs for fastening and It's position has a placement that makes it somewhat hard to tighten or loosen.

Most parts are in metal so it seams it will be a robust mattebox. The mattebox part is all metal but there's no matt inside, just a big round hole to the lens. Filterholders are for 4x4 filters and the one nearest the lens is stationary while the other one is rotatable. These are in plastic and just as poor as the ones you get with a PROAIM mattebox. Something better would definitely be holders that comes with shoot35 mattebox. It doesn't rotate to well and is not the smoothest to take in or out. There's no problem using this at least as wide as 14mm without the mattebox obscuring the image. This with my AF101.

A thing I like is how the swing away assembly is constructed. When in locked position the mattebox rest at both ends so there's nothing moving. You lift the red pin and swing it out to swap lens. It's not the greatest fit but okay thanks to the use of metal parts.

When mounted on rods I would recommend to have it at the end of rods. If you slide it in you will hit the rods when using the swing away feature. This is because the lower flag holder is in the way. You can take it away if you don't need a bottom flag and thus the problem can be resolved.

I have some mixed feelings about the Cinematics mattebox. It's better than a PROAIM mattebox but some things are missing like a matt inside the box. It does look cool on the camera but hey it has to work also! And it does work but maybe not as smooth as I'd like it to. I will put it to use and see how it performs before deciding.

Via: http://theeditman.com/blogg/default.aspx
    Reproduced with author permission.
    cine_rev1.jpg
    600 x 400 - 77K
    cine_rev2.jpg
    600 x 400 - 69K
    cine_rev3.jpg
    600 x 361 - 75K
    cine_rev4.jpg
    600 x 400 - 81K
    cine_rev5.jpg
    400 x 600 - 85K
    cine_rev6.jpg
    600 x 312 - 75K
    cine_rev7.jpg
    600 x 337 - 85K
    cine_rev8.jpg
    600 x 322 - 69K
  • >The flags made of aluminum right?

Yeah. Quite thick.

>Also, if you don't need to rotate filters a lot, the filter slots are fine?

They are fine.
    Even if you want to turn filter. But turning is not as smooth as in TrustMT type filter holders.

>You say the filter screws are hard to unscrew, would this cause issue with changing standard ND filters quickly?

Nope.
    They are not extremely hard to unscrew.
    Open mattbox, scew or unscrew them, close it back.
    But I wish they will use better place in next model.
  • thanks, got it.
    The flags made of aluminum right?
    Also, if you don't need to rotate filters a lot, the filter slots are fine?
    You say the filter screws are hard to unscrew, would this cause issue with changing standard ND filters quickly?
    >I just made them to look unusual, as bunch of usual photos of this item exist.
    I don't mean it as bad, they're cute:)
  • >How fast is it to change lenses?

It is ok. Open lock, turn it up.
    Change your lens. Close if lens is shorter or same length.
    Otherwise unscrew it and slide along the rails.
    As I said, one issue is that it is very close to rails, so in open state it'll touch tails.

>also, what's up with the cute "painted":) images

What do you mean?
    I just made them to look unusual, as bunch of usual photos of this item exist.
  • how fast is it to change lenses?
    also, what's up with the cute "painted":) images
  • Issues that I found so far.

Closing and and opening mattebox for changing lens could be better.
    First, it is quite low, so it can touch rails especially with all flags.
    Second, at locking side manufacturer use same parts as on axis side, so they can slightly touch.
    Most probably could be fixed by adjusting all screws.

Locking side bottom:

Frame parts could touch each other.

Locking side top :
    Red thing can be screwed less or more (after this adjustment you just pull it up to open).

Filter section is below overall matte box quality level.
    It has one fixed holder and one that can be rotated.
    Rotation range is limited to 180 degrees.
    Filter frames are ok, but could be much better.
    I think that Tilta has better filter section.

Two filter folders, nearest to lens rotates up to 180 degrees:

Filter holder fixing screw:

It is very hard to screw or unscrew it. Frame block your fingers.

Side flags fixing screw:

Could be better, as flag is quite thick it is always under angle and not wide enough.
    But works ok.
    rig6.jpg
    795 x 596 - 149K
    rig7.jpg
    794 x 591 - 135K
    rig8.jpg
    795 x 595 - 113K
    rig9.jpg
    791 x 593 - 134K
    rig10.jpg
    791 x 588 - 129K
  • About relative sizes:

rig11.jpg
    792 x 593 - 139K
  • For a group buy to gain any momentum ans a good number, we should consider people outside the gh2 users also.
  • @cordvision

As for picture, I'll make it as soon as I'll have time.
  • Alright, so far we have 3 people interested in a group buy.... Anybody else? I think we would need at least 10...
  • @danyyyel

They are selling quite many. Just on Chinese market.
  • Yeah, if we could get a group, or negotiate from the seller that everybody coming from here get a discount as a group buy would be good. It is not as if he is selling a ton.
  • I would be interested in group buy for sure
  • @Vitaliy any chance you could take a picture of the MatteBox with the GH2 in the same picture? It looks pretty bulky, so I'm wondering if it's a good match for the GH2.

I wished they would make one that can take 4x5.6 filters. There seems to be no cheap solution for 4x5.6 filters.

Is anybody interested in a group buy?