Personal View site logo
Nikon D4. The new king with uncompressed HDMI output.

The D4 can record 1080p Full HD video at 30/25 or 24p in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format with broadcast quality full of fine tones and natural colors. Located next to the shutter-release button, the dedicated recording start button makes operation intuitive and easy to access. Maximum recording time for a single clip is 29 min. 59 s. Thanks to Nikon's latest image-processing algorithms, the D4's video ensures a smooth look with fewer "jaggies" and less moiré while maintaining sharp edges, even in dark conditions, by using noise-reduction technology designed specifically for video. With the D4, Full HD video is at your disposal in three formats: FX-based, DX-based or 1,920 x 1,080 crop movie format. The FX-based format renders exquisitely shallow depth of field (DOF) as well as wide-angle shooting. It ensures beautiful movies even at high ISO sensitivity with minimal noise. When a DX lens is attached, DX-based format is automatically selected. This format is useful for creating an extension to the focal length of an existing lens. For an even stronger telephoto effect, the 1,920 x 1,080 crop format brings an approx. 2.7x crop of the picture angle while delivering outstanding video quality and detail, obtaining 1080p Full HD. Versatility like this lets you explore different moods with the large and comprehensive selection of NIKKOR lenses.

-----

Just saw these latest rumors...

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/12/11/nikon-d4-specs-16-2mp-11-fps-102400-native-iso-xqd-memory-card.aspx/

Maybe 2012 will be the year of uncompressed DSLR video...?

One can only hope... With Nikon's dynamic range and organic high-ISO... a D4 with a recorder could be an Alexa killer for 1/10th the price and certainly send the C300 back to the drawing board.

Perhaps there's also still time to give the 1Dx uncompressed output to compete... ?

• 208 Replies sorted by
  • New firmware released

• Custom Setting f17: Assign Remote Fn Button has been added * .
    • Support for CompactFlash memory cards with capacities greater than 128 GB has been added.
    • When an XQD memory card and one of certain CompactFlash memory cards were inserted in the camera at the same time, "Err" was displayed in the top control panel. This issue has been resolved.
    • When AF-ON only was selected for Custom Setting a4 (AF activation) and the AF-ON button was pressed to initiate autofocus during viewfinder photography, focus remained locked even after the user took their finger off the button, and the shutter could be released at any time. However, specifications have been modified so that the shutter cannot be released under the following conditions if the camera fails to focus.
      • Autofocus mode is set to AF-S (single-servo AF)
      • AF-area mode is set to Single-point AF
      • Custom Setting a2 (AF-S priority selection) is set to Focus

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59151

• updated D4, it does look better in FX mode. DX still softer (quick observation) will do a comparative test with D800e soon.

• The D4 has unreal DR and Low Light Ability. It they did fix the FX detail and sharpness it would make a serious movie making tool. As for the price, don't forget that used and refurb units are always an option. You would get great IQ in video and photo for less than $5,300.00. Not cheap but it really could offer a lot of versatility for that price. It all depends on if the rumors are true about improved Video quality.

• Firmware update: https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55916

Modifications enabled in this version

• Support for the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR has been added.
    • Auto white balance performance has been improved.
    • Images are sharper and appear more three dimensional.
    • With live view photography in [M] (Manual) exposure mode, exposure preview was always on. This issue has been resolved.
    • With shooting at an image quality setting of TIFF (RGB) and an image size setting of Small, the right edge of images contained a purple line. This issue has been resolved.
    • In some rare cases, images recorded in JPEG format could not be opened by some software applications. This issue has been resolved.
    • In some very rare cases, colours would change with shooting when white balance was set to a specific colour temperature, as with Preset manual or Choose color temp. This issue has been resolved.

(hmm...'images are sharper and more three dimensional)

A couple of guys on NR are claiming that the FF video is as sharp as the 2.7 crop now (amazing if true) http://nikonrumors.com/2013/04/02/also-released-firmware-updates-for-nikon-d4-d3s-d3x-d3-d7000-and-d3200.aspx/

• re: not much interest...i think this cam is simply too expensive for the indie crowd to want to care. i can see how it would be rightfully attractive for sports, underwater and aerial apps.

• Not much interest in the D4, so here are a couple of videos including BTS for shooting the promotional video. Interesting range of options, including underwater and aerial included.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/11/how-to-use-a-ladder-in-rock-climbing-photography/

• Here's a cool video showing how the Nikon D4 is being used for remote shooting by AFP at the Olympics.

• Here is Philip Bloom's review of the D4 and D800 for video.

• @rajamalik very different beasts considering the difference in size of sensor though.

• Nikon d4 + ninja prores 422 hq = professional digital film making ...... But it's better to invest in black magic cinema camera 2.5 k raw possible

• Just got back from the Canon C500 even tonight on Sunset. After the presentation, showings and Q & A, I had a chance to spend some time with a C500 and ask questions about the 1D X. One question was whether the 1D X would allow D3s level ISOs when shooting video or possibly even hit ISO 204,800?

I`m sorry to report that video mode for the 1D X, Cinema 1D and 5DMkIII will all top out at ISO 25,600 which is very disappointing (though still an improvement from ISO 20,000 on the C300 and C500).

Will someone please confirm the maximum video ISO for the D4? Does it meet or exceed the D3s limit, offering 6 digit ISOs at 1080P? Or is it more conservative?

• I heard Philip Bloom speak at the weekend in New York. His core message: if you're thinking of buying a new DSLR for video, the Canon 5D Mk III and Nikon D800 are both great choices, and you should choose based on the glass you already have. But he says the Nikon D4 is far too soft for video, and does NOT recommend buying it for that purpose.

Meanwhile, let's look at a great (if funny) shootout: a Nikon D4 vs and iPhone 4GS.

• thank you

• GH2 only Olympus 12mm, 45mm Nikon D4, 35, 50, 135mm

• lents,gh2 d4 ?etc

• a quick test of different scenes on D4 and GH2

• 'Tons of videos now popping up on youtube and vimeo from buyers - none are thrilled with the D4 video performance. Mushy, flat color, harsh DR roll off, and moire galore.'

Links?

• Tons of videos now popping up on youtube and vimeo from buyers - none are thrilled with the D4 video performance. Mushy, flat color, harsh DR roll off, and moire galore.

Maybe someone will really test the HDMI out and maybe it will help but even then it will only "just" get to the level of a GH2 or C300.

Not looking good for Nikon's video future atm.

What worries me is the poor skin tone I see in D800 and D4 videos. Seems grey and waxy. I know Canon oversaturate their reds a bit but Nikon is going the opposite direction. What DSLR video needs is a company to handle Cyan correctly. Where is my FOVEON sensor for video? (would it be good?)

Nothing conclusive yet but we will know in the next few weeks.

Cheers!

• Here is a video that someone made using a Nikon D4 under available light. I don't see any mention of HDMI recording so it seems to be all internal codec. I actually like the look of it. It's a different look than the typical Canon look many are used to, but it still looks good to me for an internal codec.

• I don't know what to make about this video technically because of no 1080p version of screen grab. At 720p it seems quite nice.

• Filippo, this is really a lovely piece.

• Latest Nikon D4 video.

• @TommyHollister They discuss that briefly in the Personal-View video coverage.

Unfortunately the sound was recorded with the onboard mic and is almost unintelligible because the shotgun mic mount broke and my schedule was too full to do anything about it. Next year it will go more smoothly.

• Motu has a HDI-SDI HDMI input output thunderbolt 10 bit 4:2:2 interface coming out for under $1000. So you D4 owners can get that footage into your macbook pro's for a great pricepoint. "With the plug-and-play ease offered by Thunderbolt Technology connectivity, users can connect any video source to their computer via the HDX-SDI, from SD camcorders to today’s latest HD cameras, then log and capture clips directly into their video editing software, including Final Cut Pro, Media Composer 6, and Premiere Pro. The HDX-SDI supports all standard SD and HD video formats up to and including 1080p30 (720p, 1080i, 1080p & 1080PsF). For the best-possible image quality, users can capture uncompressed pixel-for-pixel HD video input via HD-SDI or HDMI with 4:2:2 10-bit color depth and full-raster 1920 x 1080 resolution. For compressed workflows, users can choose ProRes, ProRes HQ, Avid DNxHD, or the codec of their choice. Advanced features include ASC CDL color grading, RS-422 (SONY 9-pin) machine control, bi-level and tri-level video ref sync, time code in/out with front-panel time code display, 16 channels of simultaneous audio input and output, multi-stem 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound capturing/monitoring, 8-channel analog audio I/O on quarter-inch TRS connectors, 8-channel AES/EBU digital audio I/O, 8-channel SDI and HDMI audio with embedding/de-embedding, and more. Time code support includes LTC, VITC (SD analog), D-VITC (SD-SDI) and embedded (SD/HD-SDI). The HDX-SDI is housed in a rugged, one rack-space cast metal enclosure with removable brackets for convenient desktop operation." this from Motu and its AVID Certified! Just thought you'd like to see this.

• @Athiril Sorry, I reformat my brain every 48 hours. I have no idea or recollection of that conversation. Did it have something to do with Cheeseburgers?