Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Here's an interesting comparison (not mine.)

h1tbd.png
    1503 x 436 - 102K
  • @ahbleza - I know it's not your chart, but immediate implementation of Resolve doesn't seem so necessary. Especially, if I'm getting my feet wet... AE/Colorista will be pretty good for grading pro-res. To the GH3, why is the $1300 12-35 required? I have 3 zooms, (actually 4, but I won't count the 14-42) 2 of them are Nikon mount.

• @ahbleza

Why does one need to buy the Panny x lenses, and Nokton 25mm? I sold my Nokton couple of months back, and have never regretted it. Use whatever lenses you have accrued with GH2. i have a complete suit of Carl Zeiss zfs and am very pleased thank you

• This a long but interesting video. They talk about LED hybrid lighting/flash and the GH3. They threw some good questions at the Panasonic guys and even they did not provide a straight answer you can kind of figure out where all this is going to in terms of future features and firmware. They even talk about the popularity of hacking the GH cameras and how they expect people to try to hack the GH3 as well. For those of you who just want to go to the hot questions, forward to 34:12.

• It is extraordinary how people omit the Nikon camera. Do these people look through there ass. The only camera beside the BMC of Panasonic gh3 that I would consider is the Nikon D600. Just look at the Nikon D600 promo video and at the Sony one or Canon ones. Super Dr, very very low moire and little aliasing, fully uncompressed 422 hdmi out and very low rolling shutter for $ 700 more than a gh3 or $ 800 less than the Sony alpha camera.

People are just entrenched in there brands and hype and just never look beyond that.

• weird if people are interested in the gh3, but not reading what is posted before, how many times is that video now posted?

• ahbleza - That graphic makes no sense. Why is a Mac Pro required for the BMDCC? Why did the Sony require a 70-200/2.8 when none of the others required a telephoto zoom?

• @ahbleza

What lens does the BM come with?

• @mozes I just noticed that the video was posted twice before and removed once. I don't want to be redundant but at least people can now go straight to the only good part of the video instead of having to go through all the marketing BS.

• Hi to all,

today I made the interview with Markus Matthes, Senior Product Manager of Panasoniic Germany. I got many answers, and many questions not answered. Find the answers to the questions in bold. I collect all unanswered questions, and I have been offered by Panasonic, that I shall send them, and that Panasonic Germany will send these questions to Japan, to get the answers from there. We will see.

You can find it here,:

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/interview

• I dont undestand that chart 'Required extra investment: Lumix X 12-35 f2.8 and CV 25mm f0.95'

The lenses go according to what you want to do and your pocket. You can buy the GH3 and use old lenses or other lens M4/3 more economical.

• @AKED

Great job! Now get some rest.

• @aked Thanks for great interview.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev lol, BTW I would have cast you as Dr. Evil in a world-premiere GH3 short film!

• @AKED Thanks Dieter for asking that huge battery of questions, including so many of the ones I had requested. I seriously doubt any other organization proivded such a thorough array and it was nice to get at least some definitive answers.

I am looking forward to the rest and hope you are getting rest, too. :)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev but their spec sheet shows the same physical sensor dimensions as the GH2, 17.3mm x13mm.. So where did someone see that it was smaller?

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/specifications.html
    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh2/specifications.html

• @svart

The GH2 had more total pixels(GH2=18.31 GH3=17.20) according to those spec pages. I really don't think this is a multi-aspect ratio sensor at all according to the data in the Panasonic spec sheets. I think the Image Sensor Size refers to how big the part of the sensor is that they use for imaging. That is why it is the same for both.

Even though the GH3 has more pixels than it uses in 4:3 I believe they can't use all of the pixels all the way to the edge of the sensor. I will be surprised if the GH3 really ever does get MAR.

• Every camera is a compromise and no camera is perfect. Find the one that best fits your needs and move on. I get that people are disappointed that the GH3 didn't live up to rumors. I have been disappointed by cameras in the past too (such as the Scarlet fiasco). I expressed my frustration briefly then moved on. Any more than that is belaboring the point, which really accomplishes nothing. Time is better spent creating. :)

Personally, the GH3 looks like it will fit my needs almost perfectly. It has a more solid body, better ergonomics, better controls, better screen & EVF, better codecs, better low light capability, and shoots 1080-60P. But it will still probably be at least 6 months to a year before I actually pick one up. By then it will (hopefully) be readily available, we'll have seen lots of footage shot by early adopters, and maybe there will even be a bit of a price drop.

In the meantime I still have my GH2 and it still shoots just fine.

Edit: As soon as I posted this, I saw @AKED 's awesome interview. Nice work!

• @Aked - great job! Pretty disappointing about the 4:2:0

• I just noticed something in cross-referencing the info. from the various sites.

Several places have confirmed that the GH3 is making use of MAR, but 43Rumours.com linked today to an interview on SmallCameraBigPicture with other Panasonic staff that allegedly indicated that the sensor itself supports MAR but that the appropriate support for the differing crops is not included in the firmware and there are no plans to add it.

Now, the most likely possibilities are that this is either an error somebody made or disinformation. Another possibility is that some degree of MAR could be implemented with Firmware changes but not with same dimensions as the GH2. Or the video could be made using people posin as Panasonic employees but deceiving the site... I mean the possibilities are endless and I have not even watched the video, just read the site summary.

Anyway, my point is not that "there is a MAR functionality that they are hiding", it is that Panasonic should be taking this a lot more seriously than they are. Differing answers from different people as to whether the sensor could support the same crop factor as the last camera? Hints that they "could" give what people want but may not do so? What is going on?

Panasonic seems to listen to many of things we have said so I suggest we keep being loud (or louder) about the importance of MAR with a GH2 crop factor and GH2 levels of moire (or better).

And how about being clear about DR? BMD, Arri and RED advertise theirs before a product is shipped (sometimes long before the camera is shown).

• @AKED Good report, thank you.

• " Has rolling shutter been improved? Too what I have seen no." that's to bad!!

• Igor joined us and we 3 littrarely camped in the private business quarters for 3 hours. They sent 2 different teams to politely ask if there was any other help we would need. Dieter was putting one of the 2 GH3's on display trough its paces for an hour, deep into the menu options. Not sure if they knew what to do with us geeks-in-love and our battery of questions, but everyone was very helpful. The Panasonic marketing team did the best they could. Dieter wrestled a final promise to forward our remaining questions out of a General Marketing lady, against a promise that we would finally leave.

It was a blast to be there with Igor and Dieter. More to come

Attached 3 of Igor's pictures.

I'll get a few zzzz and then upload the short menu movie.

P1240313.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 5M
    P1240329.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
    P1240315.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 5M
  • What a shame. They honestly had my preorder locked in but the complete inefficiency and idiocy displayed has forced me to reconsider. I can't believe they don't even know what the dynamic range of the camera.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions