Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @hoodlum

Big thanks for interesting link. I'll need special tech page about gh3 in wiki.

It also means that GH3 viewfinder is actually LOWER resolution

As OLED EVF used has 1744000 dots / 4 (RGBB) = 436 000 pixels (not even 800x600 as in GH1 and other cameras)

Instead GH2 one has 852×600 resolution with 511 200 pixels.

Funny, isnt't it?

• Maybe not lower resolution if you believe marketing.

http://www.oled-info.com/oled-info-interview-microoleds-ceo

Q: Sony and eMagin are already producing higher resolution microdisplays (even HD ones). Do you think there's still a market for WVGA resolution displays?

A: Actually we are looking at the number of independent pixels, and our 0.38" 1.7m pixels microdisplay has more pixels than a SVGA and in addition it is more compact. Our customers constantly remark upon the benefit of this high pixel density because the results are very visible. Some are even using our 1.7m pixel microdisplay as a reference in resolution and have begun choosing it over a competing XGA OLED microdisplay. This is due to the fact that we have very fine pixels.

• @hoodlum

It is marketing fluff. In reality it is lower res display. And two blue pixels are here because it is most trouble making ones (they do not have enough brightness, or die very fast). Samsung solved this, Sony also. But not this guys.

• is it that big of a $ risk to try out a new digital motion picture camera? They (the digital megacorps) are working harder than Eastman/Kodak ever did to make 'cinemaphotograffff-hers' happy. Many times, I've spent twice the cost of one dslr camera testing film stocks in the rental house in one afternoon, only to find out I was the person who didn't know the intention of the film engineers. I hear of people getting refunds for cameras they don't like?! Ha! Jeeze! Just give'r and try it out. It's not a big -mortgage-your-farm deal. Buy then try. Crikey!

• @bheath Expensive and cheap are all relative. I lent one of my compacts to a homeless friend for several months. I thought of the camera as relatively inexpensive. For him it would have been a huge purchase - some days he would play guitar for 8 to 11 hours on the street and barely make enough to buy food. Others he would be lucky enough to make somewhere around minimum wage.

So for some people, it is a big purchase, even if it is very inexpensive compared to what someone used to have to buy (and still may, depending on the aesthetic, etc.).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

It's because the blue is most energy intensive from the three reproduction (red/green/blue), it's a know problem for over year now that as been fixed first by LG and Sony/Samsung follow after all, microled is a french manufacturer that also work for the army technology.

Just to inform that the green share two pixel (we are more receptive to the green color)

• @Neverprod

How about not to rephrase that had been said few posts above?

Just to inform that the green share two pixel (we are more receptive to the green color)

Link to proof of such claim?

• @Neverprod

And? I told, link me to the proof that this screen shares green pixel (like Samsung Pentile). It is just link to absolutely unrelated paper.
    Special for you - such screens exist, but also exist many screens that do not share greed diods.
    Also exist different pixels structures - RGB, RGBB, RGBW.

• I was talking about the OLED problem and not the another screen technology, i know the RGB/RGBB/RGBW (also Full RGB Led for the LCD and co)

But if you want to win in resolution and keep good information on the oled you need to use the green pixel that lead a push up in term of resolution and details.

• @Neverprod

Unfortunately, you do not understand things you are talking about.

Your claims are just inaccurate.

• Back to discussion.

If you check Samsung oled image, blue is the largest diode, to boost intensity to proper level.

Same with MicroLED, but they use white oleds and simple filters, so they called it RGBB, making blue represented by two OLED's.

• Another thing, it seems like viewfinder is still quite slow.

As far as I remember, latest EVFs had been 120Hz, like OMD.

• I saw that when i did my test but you can adjust the refresh rate (60hz to 120Hz)

• but you can adjust the refresh rate (60hz to 120Hz)

Where you can adjust refresh rate?

• They was a grey option on the interface menu EVF Frame that you can normaly choose 60Hz or 120Hz that look like the one on the OMD but represented by normal or High

• Ok i also have a few Questions:

1. Is it sure, that it will be available this Year? The Firmware is not finished, and when starting Production (in November?), it will takes Weeks to come to the Shops worldwide....

2. Ok i saw a few Picture-Samples. But is there any Example of high-ISO (3200, 6400, 12800, 25600). I just want to see the difference to GH2. Best would be, if someone go with GH2 to Photokina und make Pictures from the same Subject with both Cameras and ISO 6400. This would help to see the Difference.

3. Any Informationen about Time-Lapse? Its a Foto-Mode (or will it be pulled together in a Video)? What are the possible settings (every minute, all 2 Hours?)? And will the GH3 go to sleep between the shots? (Would be very cool, if it would be possible to make 1 Picture every 30 Minutes for about 24 Hours, and the Cam always go to sleep between the shots).

• Is it sure, that it will be available this Year?

Most probably GH1 and GH2 story can continue.

Right now all samples that we have are mentioned in http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/gh3

Any Informationen about Time-Lapse?

It is controversion, as I understand.

• Don't want to raise false hopes here: The showfloor guy had the atomos folks trying out the HDMI output with their recorder yesterday and he said it was 4:2:2. Asked him two more times to make shure. So they're taking it out for Release.

• @Da_Sting

sends out a clean HDMI signal doesn't mean is necessarily 4:2:2 ;)

• That's not what I wrote. ;-) I asked the guy for confirmation of 4:2:2 on the output and he told me about the atomos visit. So, with the beta firmware, there seems to be 4:2:2. On The other hand, maybe the Panny guy doesnt have a clue and he told me wrong.

• All this 4:2;2 and 4:2:0 thing is fun.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions