Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @AKED Thanks! Good interview. I was weakening and just a keystroke from pre-ordering. I keep my GH2's now.

• Now that the GH3 is considered "semi-pro," I wonder if the product cycle will extend to 3 yrs like most pro DSLR competitors. Also, are we to expect a more extensive approach to firmware upgrades? I think the GH2 had only 2 updates so far in it's product life. If we see upwards of 3-10 upgrades over the GH3 product life it could still receive an extensive amount of new features.

• @ashun, no - definitely not, on an avid mc timeline!

GH3 clip.JPG
    1117 x 559 - 93K
  • @TraumManufaktur @Igorek7 @AKED

thanks a lot for the great reporting!!!

yeah!.jpg
    344 x 371 - 10K
    yeah!.jpg
    344 x 371 - 10K
    yeah!.jpg
    344 x 371 - 10K
  • @towi, Take a look at the luma histogram from the video TraumManufaktur posted. Looks like full swing.

gh3histogram.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 519K
  • I agree Aria, if anything the examples I've seen show that banding is probably solved. This could be as a result of the higher profile codec.

• @towi, I haven't seen any evidence of banding in any of the promo videos so far. I think this is a false assumption.

• @AKED

many thanks for the great infos provided in your interview!

I saw a Gamma shift when I pressed record in the EVF

the so called "gamma shift" is remapping from (photo-) fullswing levels (0-255) to (TV-) studioswing levels (16-235). In other words: the GH3 will most likely suffer from banding just as the GH2. too bad...

• @TraumManufaktur @Igorek7 @AKED Thanks so much from this effort!! You are making many many GH user happy and informed. And also, I love the PV shirts. @VK you should sell some of those since its a mega geek item.

• @TraumManufaktur @Igorek7 @AKED

You guys did a fantastic job. All of the other interviewers seemed to know nothing about the camera at all. They simply asked the questions they understood which were extremely basic.

You guys did your best and got as many answers as you could. I think when VK did the vetting process for who did the interviews he wanted exactly what you guys did. I thank you for all of your efforts. They are very much appreciated.

• http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xh703zh7cpsj8dn this is the one time I could record with the GH3, an .mp4 file Maybe useful for bit analysis.

Video is a raw dump.

hands-on Menu options

Port arrangement

media info GH3 file.png
    705 x 505 - 80K
  • What a shame. They honestly had my preorder locked in but the complete inefficiency and idiocy displayed has forced me to reconsider. I can't believe they don't even know what the dynamic range of the camera.

• Igor joined us and we 3 littrarely camped in the private business quarters for 3 hours. They sent 2 different teams to politely ask if there was any other help we would need. Dieter was putting one of the 2 GH3's on display trough its paces for an hour, deep into the menu options. Not sure if they knew what to do with us geeks-in-love and our battery of questions, but everyone was very helpful. The Panasonic marketing team did the best they could. Dieter wrestled a final promise to forward our remaining questions out of a General Marketing lady, against a promise that we would finally leave.

It was a blast to be there with Igor and Dieter. More to come

Attached 3 of Igor's pictures.

I'll get a few zzzz and then upload the short menu movie.

P1240313.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 5M
    P1240329.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
    P1240315.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 5M
  • " Has rolling shutter been improved? Too what I have seen no." that's to bad!!

• @AKED Good report, thank you.

• I just noticed something in cross-referencing the info. from the various sites.

Several places have confirmed that the GH3 is making use of MAR, but 43Rumours.com linked today to an interview on SmallCameraBigPicture with other Panasonic staff that allegedly indicated that the sensor itself supports MAR but that the appropriate support for the differing crops is not included in the firmware and there are no plans to add it.

Now, the most likely possibilities are that this is either an error somebody made or disinformation. Another possibility is that some degree of MAR could be implemented with Firmware changes but not with same dimensions as the GH2. Or the video could be made using people posin as Panasonic employees but deceiving the site... I mean the possibilities are endless and I have not even watched the video, just read the site summary.

Anyway, my point is not that "there is a MAR functionality that they are hiding", it is that Panasonic should be taking this a lot more seriously than they are. Differing answers from different people as to whether the sensor could support the same crop factor as the last camera? Hints that they "could" give what people want but may not do so? What is going on?

Panasonic seems to listen to many of things we have said so I suggest we keep being loud (or louder) about the importance of MAR with a GH2 crop factor and GH2 levels of moire (or better).

And how about being clear about DR? BMD, Arri and RED advertise theirs before a product is shipped (sometimes long before the camera is shown).

• @Aked - great job! Pretty disappointing about the 4:2:0

• Every camera is a compromise and no camera is perfect. Find the one that best fits your needs and move on. I get that people are disappointed that the GH3 didn't live up to rumors. I have been disappointed by cameras in the past too (such as the Scarlet fiasco). I expressed my frustration briefly then moved on. Any more than that is belaboring the point, which really accomplishes nothing. Time is better spent creating. :)

Personally, the GH3 looks like it will fit my needs almost perfectly. It has a more solid body, better ergonomics, better controls, better screen & EVF, better codecs, better low light capability, and shoots 1080-60P. But it will still probably be at least 6 months to a year before I actually pick one up. By then it will (hopefully) be readily available, we'll have seen lots of footage shot by early adopters, and maybe there will even be a bit of a price drop.

In the meantime I still have my GH2 and it still shoots just fine.

Edit: As soon as I posted this, I saw @AKED 's awesome interview. Nice work!

• @svart

The GH2 had more total pixels(GH2=18.31 GH3=17.20) according to those spec pages. I really don't think this is a multi-aspect ratio sensor at all according to the data in the Panasonic spec sheets. I think the Image Sensor Size refers to how big the part of the sensor is that they use for imaging. That is why it is the same for both.

Even though the GH3 has more pixels than it uses in 4:3 I believe they can't use all of the pixels all the way to the edge of the sensor. I will be surprised if the GH3 really ever does get MAR.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev but their spec sheet shows the same physical sensor dimensions as the GH2, 17.3mm x13mm.. So where did someone see that it was smaller?

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/specifications.html
    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh2/specifications.html

• @AKED Thanks Dieter for asking that huge battery of questions, including so many of the ones I had requested. I seriously doubt any other organization proivded such a thorough array and it was nice to get at least some definitive answers.

I am looking forward to the rest and hope you are getting rest, too. :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions