Personal View site logo
GH2 hack HDMI output testing
  • 225 Replies sorted by
  • @Fohdeesha I'm really interest to see what you find (comparing recorded clip with hdmi output while recording)!

• @redpaw @proaudio4 so it seems were are stuck with our older monitors and PAL recording. Could this be an evil way to trick us into buying new stuff and/or switch to NTSC recording? :) :)

• Sorry guys, please some info...

I read the entire thread and searched on the forum without understanding the current behaviour of the hdmi output. I need to use a small DP4 external monitor for focusing the scene underwater. I'm waiting to receive this:

http://www.fun-in.com.tw/oc/image/cache/data/Nauticam_DP4/03-1000x1000.jpg

So no external recording but just better focus and composition. Is it working right now? I read some problem with PAL. Right now I'm using NTSC HBR 30p.

Thank you in advance

• @LongJohnSilver External HDMI monitoring works absolutely fine.

• ...but is external HDMI recording fine?

• read my post above, it's useless, not accurate, and you lose accurate gamma tracking

• The idea behind this behavior is not so stupid: Panny tried to make image in the viewfinder as contrasty and bright as possible for focusing under bad conditions – on the expense of all the disadvantages mentioned here. You can make yourself a setting with very low data rates and have the camera recording internally at the same time. This will fix most of the issues. That said, I didn't find much of an advantage recording the HDMI output (Ninja in my case) when compared to the best settings from Driftwood.

• as I said, the incorrect gamma tracking remains during record

• @Fohdeesha maybe you and this guy should have a chat. He is stating the exact opposite.

@Rafa did you get a chance to test it yet?

• He can have a chat with my test images PSNR compared in Matlab, and the gamma plots of the results created in Calman. I'm not interested in getting into a wordly debate with someone who has bought something that they think makes their pictures prettier, and will go to lengths end to ignore any evidence otherwise. I speak with numbers and displayable fact, not "it looks prettier to me". Analyzing gamma transfer functions and ycbcr tristimulus values is thankfully a pretty objective thing to do, and I've seen how horribly inaccurate the hdmi output is myself. If you guys want to continue to jump through the most ridiculous hoops I've ever seen to get an even worse result, that is your adventure, not mine. Just trying to give a heads up to users a bit more open minded and not so set on something they've already bought. This will be my last post regarding this matter

• @Fohdeesha where did you post the test results? As I said may 13th I'm really interested to see your findings!

It would be interesting to all to see if your tests can result in some sort of CLUT to get on-set monitoring as close as possible to the actual end result.

• To get reliable monitoring you wouldn't only need to sort out the HDMI itself, but you'd need a hardware-calibrated monitor too! One of the better options is the Dreamcolor by HP, but it needs RGB progressive from the source, how are we going to get that? I'd say: forget HDMI on the GH2 for anything else but framing and focusing.

• Although some of my findings do not exactly relate to the problems discussed here, I noticed some stuff. When playing back on my beamer (without hack) all the blacks were crushed, (main character wore a black sweater) and there was almost no detail. So I edited and exported it etc etc. The movie will be playing in a movie theater, so this week I had a chance to play it on a 4K projector. The amount of detail in the blacks was absolutely amazing, all the way through editing (and viewing through HMDI at beamer) I was sad that I saw no detail in the blacks. When played on the 4K projector the shadows had shitloads amount of detail, without any noise. One shot contained only a small diffuse light around a handgrip from a door, everything else was crushed black (on HDMI and while editing), yet when viewed on the 4K projector the whole room was visible, almost no blacks whatsoever, and no noise. I was amazed and wondered if the final movie on the 4K projector all along was the 'true' image?

• I just tested on the waveform monitor and the black is definitely crushed a stop or so when in preview mode.

• Has anyone tested converting the HDMI out during hack use to SDI through say Blackmagics products to monitor on a 17" Panasonic monitor for set work? I would like to be able to do that than cause trouble for the crew huddling around the camera.

• Found this on Atomos place; GH2 is listed under cameras with clean hdmi out. http://atomos.activehosted.com/kb/article/input-sources/dslr-cameras/panasonic-gh2

BR Uli

• Since July 2011, the date when this thread started to today, the GH2 HDMI out issue of changing Recording Mode is still unresolved. I tested today once again: PTool v3.64d, balazer's later patch. As soon as I connect the HDMI to any monitor or HDTV, the Recording Mode gets disable and it changes, records by default from 720p to 1080i.

Is there any updated solution to this issue? Thanks in advance.

• @willianaleman

No. No solution is present.

• Is it possible at all? I am planing my own rig now, and if I knew that one day I could shoot 720p with external screen attached it would solve me alot headache.

• @Meierhans

Right now - nope. I am not working on it. Such patches are almost impossible to develop as even single error lead to the bricked body.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thank you for everything you have done and for not causing me to brick my camera. Have you ever bricked one in testing these features out?

• @Meierhans

Waiting to see what the GH3 offers will probably "save you from a lot of headache".

• Have you ever bricked one in testing these features out?

Nope. Near bricked many times, but not.

• Has anyone tested converting the HDMI out during hack use to SDI through say Blackmagics products to monitor on a 17" Panasonic monitor for set work? I would like to be able to do that than cause trouble for the crew huddling around the camera.

Works perfectly for me in PAL .. via black magic HDMI->SDI Battery converters