Personal View site logo
The Definitive Hackintosh topic
  • 359 Replies sorted by
  • @5thwall how did the card from amazon go? I ordered an open box one to give it a try.

• I'm trying to play some catchup with what is current. Are most of the SSD's now, compared to couple years ago, alot more stable and not prone to failures? Decided to go back to 3930k. Still researching.

• Tonymac's tools are working great for me. Lively forum as well to help solving issues. Sometimes a bit hard to filter out the noob chatter from the well-informed advice though.

• I prefer to bastardise Digital Dreamers excellent 'Hackinstaller' installer scripts to get my hackintoshes up and running. TonyMacHead has caused problems in the past. How good is it nowadays?

• Good thing I cut I Premiere!

• @pvjames Just picked up the 660ti. I'll let you know!

• @5thWall@artiswar: Appreciate the feedback. I think i will go with the 3770 as well. I may go with a cheaper 660 card.

• @qwerty123 I don't put mine to sleep because I need to be able to log into the work computers from home. There's always a file I need or something I need to manage. Wake on Lan just never works as intended (although I did notice that it works with Mountain Lion on my laptop). So, it's just easier for me to keep them on. But also, I had to turn WOL off according the Alfa's notes on setting up the system.

I went with a large SSD because I like to keep all my music and SFX on the main drive and I hate that feeling of running out of space. To be honest, 128 just isn't enough for me with all the software I run.

Also, sometimes I will take advantage of the speed of the SSD and export a file to the desktop. I don't like changing my workflow because of technology. This allows me lots of speed and flexibility. And the price of the larger drives has come way down. So, win-win.

• @5thwall cool. I've heard about people not putting computers to sleep. What's your rationale for this? Also, why did you go with only a large ssd rather than a smaller ssd for the system drive and a large tb harddrive? I promise I'll stop asking questions soon! Ha.

• @pvjames i think also because the motherboards that support the 3770s don't need DSDTs. No thunderbolt on any of Gigabytes LGA2011 motherboards, either. Also, no USB3 on 2 of their newer ones. Not sure about the rest of the line.

From a non-hacker-hacker perspective, it's just easiest to go with the CustoMac parts, since you know other people will be going through it with you.

• @artiswar thought about it, but I think the experience of building it and troubleshooting it was enough for me :D. If you do it, let me know your experience with it. Curious. Seems like it's not a straightforward thing.

• Price and price of the x79 motherboards. 3770k should fit me fine.

• Is the reasoning why most aren't going for the 3930k is because of its age and secondly price compared to the 3770?

• @5thwall - Any plans to overclock?

• @5thwall - Looking forward to that! Are you running an SSD as well?

• FCPX, FCP7, Davinci Resolve, Smoke 2013, and Avid Symphony all running at the same time. 32GB of RAM is AWESOME. Ever a real-world need to run these at the same time? Heck no! Just fun to see if it worked :D

EVERYTHING.png
    1280 x 800 - 909K
  • @markmark1 someone pointed me to this card. it was cheap and amazon has a good return policy, so I got it to try out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ULP9PW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

And this link was referred to me, might help you: http://www.tonymacx86.com/98-review-highpoint-rocketraid-2720sgl.html

@qwerty123 the firewire was slower than native on my Mac Pro towers. Also, one time I went to use the drive after about 15 minutes of not using it and it had been ejected. Haven't had any other weirdness, but I really need something completely reliable. So, I wanted to try this other card to see.

I haven't tried thunderbolt, yet. But when I do, I'll let you all know. I don't have any thunderbolt drives or devices, yet. I'm very curious to see if it works with BMD or even AJA. I've spoken to an AJA rep to let them know that I got it working. If I'm lucky, they'll stop by with an ioExpress so that I can try it out.

I'm running Mountain Lion. I don't need any DSDT with this motherboard because it's EFI compatible. Amazing, to be honest. Although I have not tested sleep mode. I never put my edit computers to sleep - in fact I always turn sleep off. So, not sure if I'll ever test it to be honest. Other than that the processor fan works great and speeds up when it needs to. Proc temperatures have gotten into the 60s during transcodes using Adobe Media Encoder. In FCPX and Premiere it hovers around the 40s. It idles around 36.

• 200mmx here, thinking about going with the pentium pro and throwing a extra stick of of ram in there get me up to 32mb

• @5thwall thanks for the detailed reporting! Why do you say the Syba firewire is "just ok"? To me, it's important to have reliable firewire connections (at least one fw400), preferably on two separate busses. Also, have you tested the thunderbolt ports? Do they function? That might also make black magic thunderbolt hardware an option. What OS are you running? What about power management?

@artiswar looking forward to the video!!! How did you decide on your particular build?

• @5thwall Let me know how the raid card hunt goes. I'm going nuts trying to find one that will even work well in windows, let alone the hackintosh side of my x79 sabertooth, 3820k setup.

First tried the RocketRaid 2314 - either bad card or simply not recognized by the motherboard. Returned (restocking fee).

Bought the RocketRaid 644, major issues - might have been a conflict with the marvell controller on the motherboard, even with the marvell controller disabled on the board i would get random BSOD's and sometimes the drivers would simply stop working after a reboot - finally gave up trying to fix it - a week after the 30day return period. The 644 is supposedly mac compatible, but I couldn't get working on the mac side either....

Purchased yet another RocketRaid (yeah stupid) 2642 - only to find that it isn't a port multiplier so my 8 bay esata box is useless with it.

Hightpoint tech support is not spectacular either....

Have a cheap silicon image card that came with the esata enclosure, but with raid 10, I only get 50 MB/s read and writes on it.

Keep me posted... I'll let you know if I find anything that works.

• @5thwall - Snagged a Shell Shocker deal from Newegg on a Fractal case. Comes with 3 fans!

• @artiswar awwwwesome. that's very close to what i got. let me know how the 660 works out. i got the 680, but wish i'd saved a few shekels. The cooler master is a great choice. At office, computer is on right now with no AC. It's just copying files over sata. CPU temp still averaging 37C and it's very quiet.

Cooler is a bit of a bitch to install if you haven't done it before. Instructions were confusing. Do a search for an install with it on youtube. Watch the one made by Cooler Master, first. It all makes perfect sense once you install it, but it's nerve wracking at first.

Which case are you getting? On mine, the corasair 500r, the power button doesn't work. Curious to know how it works for you.

• Parts are all ordered! I'll be doing an assembly and install video so stay tuned! Parts: Gigabyte UD5 Mobo, 3770k i7, 32gb of Corsair RAM, NVIDIA GTX 660 ti, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler, and even through in the reject Cinema Displays that VK posted a while back.