Personal View site logo
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • It's a deal, big box of "Bintang" or "Anker" beer! I agree with JOFO that you shouldn't even worry about apologizing for anything. It shows you are of good character of course, but really, we are very lucky this is happening. You have a great talent and should be proud.

• Is an English language option part of this project? (I'm stuck with a Japanese camera ...)

• Is an English language option part of this project? (I'm stuck with a Japanese camera ...)

Yep, it is working :-)

• Dear Vitaly, Thanks for your great contribution, I hope this new venture will be successful as GH2 one :)

Could you ellaborate about GX1 features possible with this new hack? Which maximal bitrates one could achieve (especially at 1080), which manual controls will be available?

Are there any premature video tests already available at youtube/vimeo?

Thanks in advance!

• This is great news. Will the GX1 support 1080 24p? It could be a great second camera to go along the GH2.

• Will the GX1 support 1080 24p?

Nope :-)

Most probably test team will get it on monday.

• Thanks for taking time from your very busy schedule to reply us mere mortals :) I´m guessing it will have 1080p25 though, right?

• I´m guessing it will have 1080p25 though, right?

All the modes that it has :-)

• At least good news for Sanity fans.

• PTool 3.66d alpha

Send me PM if you want to be member of testing team.
    You must be long time community member, must have GX1 near you, and understand that it is bad idea to become tester if you just want PTool sooner.

• Dear Vitaliy, I've just found your web and I would like to congratulate you for your incredible work! I've just bought in Tokyo a Lumix GX1X, but obviously with a Japanese menu. So, what can I do and how could you help me? I'm quite new in this matter. Thanks. Angel

• @Angel

Wait for final PTool version.

• Thanks, Vitaliy. Will it be soon?

• Thanks, Vitaliy. Will it be soon?

Depends on testing results.

• My GX1 arrives tomorrow...I'd be happy to beta test.

• @Micah

OK.

RIght now we have issues with MP4 modes. May be we'll need more testers to nail the cause.

• I released second alpha, everyone who used previous alpha can get it from same place.

• Does the hack have the potential to enable spanning in MP4 mode?

Sorry for something that may be answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

• No, because mp4 container can only get to 4gb before it will stop. Common to mp4 container on Pany stuff.

• "Spanning" means making a 4gb file and continuing onto the next one without stopping, which is exactly the same as the default behaviour for AVCHD. AVCHD has no provision for files over 4gb, it just starts a new file when it hits that limit. As far as I can tell it's seamless once you drop it into the timeline of a video editor. There are camcorders that do this with MPEG, so it's not a new idea.

I see the option in Ptool for "30 minute limit removal", but without any model to test except the GX1, I'm not certain if this is limited to AVCHD modes (which have no limit on the GX1 to begin with).

• @Micah "...Also, motion picture recorded continuously in [MP4] is up to 4 GB..." from various Pany Lumiix cameras. They don't actually state this in the GX1 spec but I bet its the same! Try it - try Stock span on mp4 modes. I havent yet. :-)

Span is limited to AVCHD modes I believe...

• GX1 1080p MP4 mode is h.264 Level 4.0 (level_IDC), baseline 66 (profile_IDC).

GX1 720p MP4 mode is h.264 Level 3.1 (level_IDC), baseline 66 (profile_IDC).

GX1 AVCHD FSH /AVCHD Lite 720p modes are both h.264 Level 4.0, High 100 (profile_IDC)

Level_IDC (which tell a decoder what to expect in terms of frame size, decoding speed, bitrate max and resolution supported) can be changed upwards quite easily in proggies such as Coolsoft AVC Level Editor, however profile_IDC seemingly can't (AVC profiles, are a series of confinements which dictate the specific class of application).

Also not quite sure if scaling tables are allowed in baseline 66.

More info: See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

Changing the profile of baseline 66 to a higher value in mp4 is not just a simple thing of changing the metaheaders - it would entertain rewriting code in the encoder and the RTP payload and lifting certain constraints - and I wouldn't know if this camera has sufficient support for such implementation.

• I'm not following how that's relevant at all. I think you're confused about what I'm asking.

You're talking about quality.

I'm asking if there is/will be a setting for spanning with MP4 video, which is automatically writing a new file when the existing one has reached 4gb. This doesn't directly relate to quality settings.

For the D7000, which only uses MP4 and not AVCHD, Vitaliy has said "Ideally it is possible, just requires rewrite of firmware parts, I think." when asked about spanning.

This is a question for him and only him. Thanks.

• @Micah

For the D7000, which only uses MP4 and not AVCHD, Vitaliy has said "Ideally it is possible, just requires rewrite of firmware parts, I think." when asked about spanning.

It is the same for any camera. It requires complete rewrite of large parts, if you require no missed frames.