Personal View site logo
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • simply superb @driftwood and of course cbrandin. It is starting to look like a whole different league now!

• I tried just for fun some fast cc in MB LooksBuilder of the png converted to jpeg(crap:) yet even extreme settings seem to hold so well! its ridiculous!

the new title of the thread says it all!

• Beta testing with the new Canis Majoris settings PLUS Chris's beautiful matrices begins Sunday.

• can't wait! :)

• I think this is the patch I've been waiting for. I'm all tingly.

• lol @shian makes two of us

• Make that three ^^^^

• time to get a 64gb :D incredible looking @driftwood is this going to be applied to all existing canis patches or just the ones your yet to release? (day am)

• Wow! Excited...

• @cbrandin Static shots - Example 1 & Example 2.

• @cbrandin Static shots - Example 1 & Example 2.

Example 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Example 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • Holy F&£$! this is awesome.

• Those shots are grading very, very well!

• Are those the same settings? Ex.1 looks nicer to me, but maybe it's just been sharpened more?

• Driftwood, Chris, Wow... That looks fuckin brilliant. I'm heading to the North East (US) later next week. Hopefully, your new release will be available.

• cannot wait to try it out :O salivate

• for some reason, I only see "final Canis Majoris releases tomorrow" so I was thinking we would have this tomorrow!

• just did a little grading on that 4k of the driftwood bloke and... holy crap! Let us know if you need some more testers at some point :)

• Looking at the PNGs in Photoshop the blue channel looks better than usual stills from Canis gh2 footage, but if you do a side-by-side with a RAW then you could really point out the differences in how it's handling color.

• @driftwood - I was lucky enough to watch the prog go out on the C4 HD channel projected in a small 27 seat cinema. Not sure what the projector was but it all looked pretty amazing. I think the secret with HD is always lenses. The footage from San Francisco was shot on a Sony F700/800. On a large screen I could see quite a lot of fringing, this was not the case from the XF305 or even the GH2. I have no problem putting smaller cameras up against the big boys now and that's after many years of using 2/3inch cameras. There was about 6 shots per part from the GH2 and it blended in nicely. The strange thing for me is that on my little macbook the GH2 footage looked a little "softer" compared to the XF305 but on a large screen and on my TV in SD it looks the reverse. I think we can't always use computer screens to judge the image and playback quality of our footage.

All of the clips were converted to Avid HD DNX for online and graded on Avid Symphony Nitris. Originally the prog was to have been graded on a Nucoda Filmmaster but due to time and delivery deadlines the Nitris route was the only option. The colourist said he had no problems with any of the footage. By the time he got it he was unaware of it's original source.

If anyone has any questions I am happy to try and answer them.

• @driftwood @cbrandin Woooooow!!!!! Greaaaaaat news!!! Exciting!!! Does it become unnecessary possibly, for me to make 3GOP settings more? ;-) I cannot keep waiting! Congrats! :-)

• No, on the contrary - it could help.

• @driftwood Hello! been some time since i stuck my head in the driftwood hack topics and i'm glad to see our crusade is still going on (: I'm chilling after my long first year of filmschool and got time on my hands to prep my gear for a next round. Now , the more i'm reading, I'm becoming aware that i'm confused with this whole matrix thing. Do i need to understand it as a bendable luminance curve ? Is there a link between a matrix and the grain? I'm in love with the sedna settings for one reason : the soft grain and lack of blocks that makes for a sweet grading experience, i'm yet to find this on a,y other hack. Are there other hacks with similar grain i should test ? When i went flying with the sedna settings (litteraly flying) my gh2 froze everytime i filmed more then 10-20 seconds ;p 5 when using a wide angle, i figured too much info.. Am i making any sence in what i'm trying to ask you ?

thanks for an attempt in clearing my mind and kind chocolate greetings from belgium (:

• @driftwood canis meets cbrandin new test is a great news sir. cluster v6 all modes working is a great hack. thank you so much!

• @thepalalias after july 9 noone posted here,...oops creepy

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions