Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • Probably just to put them on equal ground – the REDs are 320 under Tungsten for example.

Since you can't really change sensitivity of the chip, you are just adding gain and loosing some highlight latitude.

• @driftwood could i ask when Day AM is being released? eagerly anticipating :) cheers

• excellent as i had hoped :)

• @jakepowell i am waiting for it since may ,...i hope it will be the best,.. planning for all 3 patches in one day shoot,.. am pm and night,,... short film name yet to fix,.. one day or day and night or date or 24 and so on,... still discussing with my team. will start once its released. cheers for you mate.

• @thepalalias i am going for canis majoris dayPM shoot tomorrow from 1pm to 5pm at a very strange location.(abandoned port, old beach, strange 0 populated place). any suggestion or tip man. i will keep idynamics off through out the shoot. will take std smooth and vibr -2 all. anything else dude???

• @rajamalik sounds really cool, be sure to let us know after its out and you have created it so we can view :) also your shoot tomorrow sounds right up my street, hope its good and post up here :) cheers

• @jakepowell ya i will post it up in 48 hrs from now,... tick tok ,..tick tok,.. ;)

• @rajamalik Good luck with the shoot. My only advice is that you may want to consider a polarizer for the shoot if you are not already using one. The sun glare off the beach and water can make the dynamic range a little tricky, but in terms of the camera setup, it sounds like you are pretty set - just make sure you have the NDs you will need to keep the shutter speed close to 180 degrees and enjoy.

As you already know, you may want to WB differently for CM Day PM than for CM Night, but it should do a much better job with haze over the ocean and the blue in general.

• @thepalalias I have no idea about the wb diffirence between canis night and day pm. I do oldschool style wb. Manual with white sheet during shot mapping. do I need to set anything further than basic white sheet balance?

• Day AM is a much flatter matrix on the i frames. Rate Control is also controlled. I hope to be able to release this shortly - just finalising tests from a few weeks ago where I left off.

• @rajamalik You should be fine with that. I just was referring to the way that shadows/noise sometimes tends towards yellow or green with Canis Majoris Night, while those areas would tend more towards red/blue/purple with CM Day PM. You do not need to change your white balance approach unless you were compensating for that shadow shift in CM Night with WB modification before.

@driftwood Best of luck and many thanks for the continued work. :)

• @thepalalias thank you so much fnd....but, this is a bit confusing hmm let me explain. are you saying that the noise from sensor would lean towards yellow and green in CM night and will shift its phase to blue and purple in CM dayPM?? if the iso is between 160 - 800 are u sure it does where the noise is not even present??? i patched with CM dayPM going to use it only in the afternoon & in evening sunlight. roughly 1pm to 5pm i wont keep iso over 200 for sure.ok i have a idea...let me know after i upload the video.i will try to upload the raw one out of the cam with the graded one for few shots examine and tell me if i need to concentrate on wb variations.

@driftwood good news sir, wish you a very good luck! cheers!!...

• Last night I tested to see how the smoke I plan to use in a campfire scene, was going to look on CM Night. Love the grain and detail in Night even under horrible lighting.

• First post, been getting up to speed for the last month or two. Haven't even heard of a GH2 a few months ago. All the wonderful vids and insight has helped tremendously. Did a lot of testing with some of these patches, mainly the high bitrate ones, with some great results! And I tried to throw the cam a lot of different situations to see how it holds up. The vid below has settings of 320 iso, smooth -2,-2,-2,-2 with Canis Day PM. I also used Olympus 35-100mm f2 and the Noktor Magic 12mm.

@DeshonDixon - loved your vid! Watched it 5 times in a row the first time I came across it. I lived in Santa Monica since '98 and worked in one of Cucoloris' offices on Market Street back in the day when 72 Market St was still in existence. Your vid was shot a block away. It brought back lots of memories. Great work!

I really love this cam and I own an EX3, but it's a bit of a hassle putting on different lenses and wouldn't even attempt hiking 6 miles a day with all the equipment. Many thanks to you Mr. Driftwood and Vitaliy and to all the testers!

• @G_Kudanovych There's some really nice images here. Good examples of Canis Day pm. Well done and glad you're loving the GH2. :-)

• @G_Kudanovych Haha thanks man glad I could bring back old memories for you! Nice footage you shot with the GH2 and Canis Day PM!

• Thanks guys! The raw files look very different than the YT upload, I think I need a vimeo account.

• Had my first bash with CM Night yesterday, and I'm definitely smitten. One thing with the GH2 that is bugging me is that there looks like you can see flickering refresh lines in the shadows of low light and high iso. Is this an issue that everyone has seen? Am I just being paranoid? Is it my GH2?

• partly canis majoris partly sedna.. My first fully finished short and the end of my first year film school (:

• @driftwood Do canis majoris night has more details than canis majoris dayPM???

• @MisterBink its shutter speed which differs in pal and ntsc. keep 25 or 50 or 100 and try again. flicker does happens only in specific room light condition or on pc tv lcd monitors. it happened for me and mr.driftwood advised me this. you must avoid keeping shutter in 40 30 60 80 etc. keep trying diffirent shutter speeds. for me once a tube light condition flicks got fixed with 1/50 then ther day the tv flickers got fixed when i set it back to 1/25...try different shutter speed upto 100 and see what u get

• Raj Both similar but different luma/chroma values mean brighter / tighter grain. Night is brighter.

• @driftwood cool sir!!! CMpm looks soft so I thought its smoothened down from night in details. but looks good in post uploading video shortly sir. Thx for cmt

• @rajamalik Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I tend to only shoot on 50 with shutter since it looks the best, but I'll mess around and see what the results come up as. @Driftwood is right, Night is much brighter, and you can play with the dynamic range a little to get details out of shadows, it's a wonderful patch Mr @Driftwood, thank you for your endless efforts. I loaded up Sedna AQ1 A and had a bash with that and CM Night seems to reveal more details, even though Sedna is the best all-rounder. Sedna is great (just bare with me here) in the sense that it actually has an atmosphere about it, like actual film and the filmic grain of the GH2 just pushes that up a few notches too. I have yet to try the cluster patches, but when I was looking at some old Mysteron footage I shot back when Sir @Driftwood released the pacth, I was surprised at the brilliance in it. Still one of my favourites, also has that atmoshpere quality I was describing with Sedna. But here's another question regarding the flicker I've experienced in low light - Does the fact that I'm shooting teleEX mode have anything to do with it? Does teleEX mode create more noise as a result of using a smaller area of the sensor?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions