Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • people should also remember the talk about how there is (or was) very little interaction between broadcast and consumer ranges at Panasonic.

• whatever. just so long as it makes a good espresso.

• By partial do you mean support on the image processor, but not on the sensor?

No, I mean firmware, and encoder part specifically.
    And, as I said, it is not normal support, but juts small bits.
    Both sensor modes and encoder do not have any 1080p50 and 1080p60 modes. But, of course, have support for new MP4 modes (as they do not use frame doublings in 720p or interlaced wrapper in 1080 modes).

• I've seen a few people referring to an AF100 replacement, well I can tell you for sure there is one on the way. Should be out by the end of the year but couldn't get any other info as to what it might be upgraded with. Not sure it will be loaded with items people are asking for because Pany seems to think the AF100 is a pretty damn good camera and it's been one of the best selling camera's at Samys. Just might be a sign of what the GH3 will hold. If Pany doesn't think the AF100 needs a complete overhaul, why would they think the same of the GH2? Especially since all the awesome hacks it's getting here put it ahead of other competition already!

• Don't worry. GH3 will be nice. GF5 is already showing impressive color noise reduction performance at ISO 6400.

• So after Panny announces the GH3, how long until the shoe drops? As in, when will it street?

I'd assume it will retail for around $1,500 for a decent body/lens kit.

But we could be set for a disappointment too. Panasonic's much ballyhooed X900M camcorder (their best model in the consumer grade level) was supposed to be a big improvement over the TM900 given the PR spin... and it was not.

• Panasonic's much ballyhooed X900M camcorder (their best model in the consumer grade level) was supposed to be a big improvement over the TM900 given the PR spin... and it was not.

It is all your fantasies. Camcorders slowly evolve. This one got better and 3D LCD, better 3D lens option, and slight improvements in other areas.

• Vitaliy,

I'm just saying that Panasonic's spin and the reality of the actual product could be two different things. Never trust a corporation, as my father always says. Nobody should get their hopes up with the GH3.

If the GH3 actually slices and dices through the competition and also has a much more stable foundation for hacking (better processor)... making it truly superior to the GH2... then I'll be happy to eat my words of caution.

I'd also love for it to not have that stupid, outdated 4 GB video file limitation that so many moderate priced cameras have. Oh, and far less of that rolling shutter "jell-o" artifact.

• I'd also love for it to not have that stupid, outdated 4 GB video file limitation that so many moderate priced cameras have.

I am sad to tell you that even professional cameras that shoot in H.264 have same limit normally. It is not camera induced, but happens due to file system restrictions.

• I don't have big expectations.. but better LCD screen is a must... and a focus peaking would be nice to have (not hard to implement) feature. Maybe also better low-light, higher ISO... but can live without that :)

• Here are my asumptions:

-4:2:2 Codec implementation possible in mjpeg. Gh1 is example, so this may be possible.

-2k similar resolution proven in patches at mjpeg, sensor is capable. But i see this only If hack is made.

-Avchd 2.0 at 59.95 full HD possible as it is new standard, and prossesing power is allready been working 2 years in GH2.

-New Quad core processor possible, due to advace in technology and multithreading work in softweare and hardware level globaly. As such prossesor may be used in other panasonic products.

-Anamorphic crop only if hack is made

-Better bit rate, not possible at company stays at specs for security standards.

-Better LCD a fact

-Better EVF a fact as both are important for sales as they are "visually important improvements" good for selling more GH3´s as it looks better.

-XLR never

-improved boddy, all magnesium and more wight maybe at a higher cost. The same size dough as GH2 GH1. (Wish they opted for better plastic for GH3)

-Adio metering and levels. Very possible

-(Not surprised if new P2 SD card supported with only all benefits for Pro AVC Long-g new standard, || EDIT: But it is 4:2:2 so... maybe not , but AVC-proxy, its 8bit and 4:2:0 || (hope new implementation at 1080p 24p is at good as sony´s AVCHD on FS100 at low light and no macrobloking at all at 24mbt its strage how did the achive that )

-Wifi and weather seal will happen, (wifi only if resolution is in stills is higher than 18mp like t3i pixel count ) as they are easy to implement, with not too high costs.

-Better baterry life expected due to improved yields in Chip fab at 22nm in top class circuit inside GH3, also PCB improvements

-Better sensor, with maybe 2 more stops 1 due to better codec implementation, othe by sensor it self. Low noise at high iso a must, if you see m4/3 history of sensors, that is the way to go. Expect new design in sensor, but not global shutter, (not that its not readdy, just marketing wise is not a good time for mass global shutter takedown)

-Hack will happen.

• NEWSFLASH!!!

Latest reports are that the elusive GH3 will be the fundamental particle of video physics.

Panasonic has built a massive accelerator in Europe that is presumed to detect it’s presence there first…

Europeans are also expected to pay the full electric bill of seeing it first hand!

• I think a lot of people are dreaming in the case of the gh3. I see a natural progression of gh line of camera and against its competitors in the mirror less camera. Things like better body, viewfinder, lcd screen, focus, stabilisation and surely a headphone jack. In terms of image quality we could get better low light and DR.... and unfortunately what could cause some problem more megapixel. In terms of codec, we can expect at most avchd 2 with 60 fps. The rest are just pipe dream. This is a consumer mirror less camera, nothing more. Even if the mirror less camera are getting more pro like the olympus OM-D, we are far from the pro dslr line and further from the pro video video camera market. We can expect what most are demanding here in an af-200 not in a gh3.

• @endotoxic I didn't know camera processors were multicore...

• "I think a lot of people are dreaming in the case of the gh3."

True, but I imagine they have heard about how great the GH2 is with Vitaliy's firmware improvements, they may give us a gift with the GH3 (here's for dreaming) The GH2 has done very well for Panasonic, word get's around. They certainly can put and end to a lot of this you know who fanboy and open their market further.

• @Preetam.

Yes, GH2 uses a 3 core processor. Each core has its own fuction.

• @proaudio4 I think they might do a Canon. That is put most if not everything in an Af-100 type of body but at least at a more affordable price point. I don't know why they did not stick a tweaked gh2 sensor with a log profile and 10 bit 422 at 100 mbs (the gh2 sensor is already 12 bit raw) and perhaps faster readout for less jello and sell it at about what they are selling the Af100 3.5k. That would have put them back in the large sensor market.

Now they only have a camera that has lost 30% of its value in 1 year and that has no traction. I mean Zacuto did not even include the af-100 in this years test, this tells you how much this camera is a non contender. During this time Sony has a whole line from the Fs100 to the f65 and Canon also has entered the market with many product unfortunately at some very high price.

The large sensor camera is very different from the old video one. In fact it will resemble the dslr world where your investment is not only about the body but more importantly about the lens. Once someone is heavily invested in a lens system, he will have much more difficulty moving into another system. So the slower you are, the harder it will be to capture market share.

• My wish list is simple:

• fullHD 50/60p and working hdmi out in this mode to monitor video

• hackable!

• compatible with 4/3 Olympus lenses (using the 4/3-m4/3 adapter)

• a tiny bit: better DR, noise/banding, readout speed, processing power, faster controller/storage

• 720p with 100/120fps

And when it comes to dreaming:

• 4k or 4:2:2 or 10 bit (each of it will give much better 1080p video after postprocessing)

• variable framerate from 24 to 500 fps (even with resolution loss at the fast end)

• custom profiles

• excepting the hack and working together with the people here ;-)

Do we have a date, when first information about GH3 will be released?

• If it makes an appearance at Cologne's Photokina 2012 in September (according to strong rumours) and the current Panasonic brochure shows availability of GH2 is checked till October, then the GH3 is more than likely to appear on the shelves between October end and December 2012.

• 1080p60
    • Better color noise processing
    • Better Auto WB
    • More fine-tuned curve & tone for each film mode
    • Usable ISO to 6400
    • Better DR
    • 2.39:1 aspect ratio
    • EVF eyecup redesign so that 3rd party eyecup can be attached easily

I'm expecting just gradual upgrades that will satisfy most of us if the body price goes down enough. I will be happy if it makes much improved photos.

• A couple of wishes.

1. AE/AF Lock to work during video recording, not pre-record only.
    2. Ability to switch rec-start/stop behaviour to movie button only. This is to prevent accidental rec stop if you press the shutter button too hard while refocusing.
  • Has anyone heard anything of an RGBW sensor in the gh3? Apparently it would revolutionize the dynamic range by giving a dedicated channel to preserving highlights. Thoughts?

• @zigizigi Your #1 is most likely confirmed on the GH3 if the "leaked" specs on the G5 are anything to go by: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-no-joke-full-g5-press-release-leaked-in-oman/

This information is rated as an FT5 meaning that it's an 81-99% chance the rumor is correct/

• Some things that GH3 will be able to do via Wi-Fi:

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions