Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • operation by smartphone sounds pretty awesome. not sure i like the cloud synch or wifi transfer to Tv, as I'd rather just use hdmi.

• 4:2:2 mpeg 2k at 24/25/30fps (maybe 48fps possibly?)

• AVCHD 2.0 up 60fps

• clean HDMI out (internal codecs are so 2010 anyways) :)

• maybe .5-1 stops better DR?

• custom color-profile support

• some surprise burst mode... like 6-8 seconds of 120fps in 1080p?

That's about all I really want/need, anything else would just be icing...

• I'm a fan of Panasonic Engineers. They have done amazing things so far. They have had a good amount of time on the GH-3. That is why I was happy the GH-3 wasn't introduced back with the Nikon D800/Canon 300/5DMIII/1DX. I'm sure we will have:

Better processor Better DR 1080p 60 Wifi

I hope:

Flat grading profile No higher megapixel. enough is enough Tethering for video and stills (wired or wireless) Fly by wire focus (wifi or wired) A video HDR mode like Red and Canon's Magic Lantern

• I would be willing to bet the GH3 has 1080p @ 60 FPS and 720p @ 120 FPS. Just a hunch though. :)

• @mpgxsvcd 1080p60 is a given, the G5 has it. As is increased LCD resolution to 920K, bring it to the same level as Sony and Nikon cameras. I hope they really do mean total control via smartphone, it would be great to be able to remote the camera. A RGBW sensor would be great, though they would have to give us 14bit RAWs to get the most out of it

• Also full electronic shutter for time lapsers will be present, as in G5.

• I really hope so. I have an intervalometer for the GH2 and didn't use it much in fear that I'd destroy my shutter if I used it too much. If they have a full electronic shutter, I wonder if they'll implement an in camera intervalometer.

• could full electronic shutter mean global shutter?

• @Dazza

No they just increase the read speed of the sensor from 60 FPS(G3) to 120 FPS(GH2 and G5). It is likely that the GH2 will read out at 250 FPS like the Nikon 1 series camera that doesn't have a mechanical shutter at all.

They are still susceptible to the effects of rolling shutter. However, you really have to try to ruin the shot to actually ruin the shot if they read out at 250 FPS or faster.

• It looks like the 120 FPS and 240 FPS modes are "High Speed" video modes just like the GH2 has. Except for the GH2 shoots the slow motion at only 30 FPS.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/pressrelease/second_half_new_production2012/index.html#lx7

• The Photokina 2012 is a good idea. Maybe we see somebody from this board in Cologne at the Panasonic-stand.

back to topic: I dont believe the GH3 will have an sensor with global shutter. I think they use a sensor like the G5. Well 1080p with 60 frames sounds good, also the better resolution in the displays. 120FPS at 720p would be perfect!

4:2:2 - sounds good too, but I dont think this camera will have that feature. I hope they will have a higher and lower ISO setting and last but definitely not least: its hackable like the GH2!

@mpgxsvcd You right, but a mechanical shutter is faster and better than a electronic (except a global shutter) Take a photo with the GH2 in Highspeed (40 PFS) from a rotating prop, you will see the rolling shutter effect. But the effect is gone if you use a mechanical Shutter - thats the different and I think thats a good feature that gives you the opportunity to take high quality shots without the rolling-shutter-effect-bullshit . OK, you can make just 50k - 80k Photos with this shutter, but I think its ok, because you can switch to the electronic shutter for snapshots.

• For sure GH3 has avchd 2.0 specifications, reported below. Also 4:2:2 if, only on Motion jpeg.

OverviewChart2.jpg
    555 x 636 - 109K
  • @Kihlian

Nope.

All new cameras shoot in MP4 container that can be incompatible with AVCHD standards :-)

And MJPEG. No more amongst the available modes.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Are you sure about that? I thought they shoot in AVC-HD or in the MP4 container? It seems to indicate that the true 60 FPS modes are only available with the AVC-HD framework. However, the 120 FPS mode is only available with the MP4 container.

HD Video: 1,920 x 1,080 pixels [NTSC Model] AVCHD 60p (PSH: 28Mbps) (Sensor output is 60fps) AVCHD 60i (FSH: 17Mbps) (Sensor output is 60fps) MP4, 30fps (FHD: 20Mbps) (Sensor output is 30fps) [PAL Model] AVCHD 50p (PSH: 28Mbps) (Sensor output is 50fps) AVCHD 50i (FSH: 17Mbps) (Sensor output is 50fps) MP4, 25fps (FHD: 20Mbps) (Sensor output is 25fps) 1,280 x 720 pixels [NTSC Model] AVCHD 60p (SH: 17Mbps) (Sensor output is 60fps) MP4, 30fps (HD: 10Mbps) (Sensor output is 30fps) [PAL Model] AVCHD 50p (SH: 17Mbps) (Sensor output is 50fps) MP4, 25fps (HD: 10Mbps) (Sensor output is 25fps) STD Video: 640 x 480 pixels [NTSC Model] MP4, 30fps (VGA: 4Mbps) [PAL Model] MP4, 25fps (VGA: 4Mbps) High Speed Video: 1,280 x 720 pixels [NTSC Model] MP4, 30fps (Sensor output is 120fps) [PAL Model] MP4, 25fps (Sensor output is 100fps) (Max. of approx. 4 GB of continuous motion picture can be recorded in MP4. In AVCHD, recording may be continued until the card is full.)

• @VK OK I think I missed something. Have you a good link about MP4?

• @mpgxsvcd Panasonic bastardise the AVCHD standard with a lot of their own code. Besides a lot of the mp4 container stuff theyre doing in current Lumix cameras are baseline 66 AVC/AVCHD Lite creations.

• @driftwood

I thought they co created the standard with Sony. Can't they do what ever they want with it and call it AVC-HD?

I think the bottom line is that the G5 still retains the AVC-HD file structure that some people dislike if you want to record true 60p footage.

• @mpgxsvcd They certainly can. That wasn't really my point. Why they are still using baseline 66 in an mp4 container is more to the point.

• Why they are still using baseline 66 in an mp4 container is more to the point.

Because no one cares. :-)

• @Vasilij_Kiselev

Very strange proposition. I see no problems with wide angle lenses. As for m43 crop factor - it is best on the market.

If you prefer to shoot telephoto, then yeah, it's great. But if you would like to get a decent wide angle look like a 14mm rectilinear then you're in trouble. And the lenses that you'd require are either very rare or very expensive, or both. Shooting with GH13 for the past 2 years, I'd say this is the single most annoying aspect.

You can make fantasies whole day. GH3 will improve DR, but no way it'll have 13 stops DR.

It's good to push the envelope, and hope that they'll give us 12 stops.

Another fantasy. It is consumer camera. Period.

Yes, indeed, it may well be a Period (for Panasonic). They'll need to release something at a consumer price level (like GH2) and offer features that might be comparable to BMC and D16 to stay in this market, or simply crash the price of GH3. The game is changing.

Alwasy check words you write. Panasonic sensors are absolutely on par with Canon or any other modern sensors. Sometimes they are better than them. Just smaller :-)

I check my words. Panasonic's ISO is not on par with Canon. (That being said I'd prefer shooting with a GH13 or Gh2 than with any of the existing Canons, even C300. But that's for another reason, not the ISO.)

Yeah, XLR :-) Pray for 3.5mm jack.

Agree.

• They'll need to release something at a consumer price level (like GH2) and offer features that might be comparable to BMC and D16 to stay in this market, or simply crash the price of GH3. The game is changing.

Only in your mind, my young padawan :-)

I check my words. Panasonic's ISO is not on par with Canon

You talked about sensors. In all parameters they are on par or better, but as I said, they are smaller.

• Looking at reports we are going to get a 20 or 24 million pixel DSLM in the flagship model. 1080p60/50 in AVCHD with 25p/30p catered for in mp4 Level 100 High profile. Much of the firmware will be addressed to make use of it.

• My fear that they would increase the resolution is happening then :-( Very sad if it happens, I don't know about the reviews if the G5 is any big improvement in low light and DR because Panasonic suffers from the perception that it lacks DR and low light compared to the Apsc cameras. It is a little bit unjustified if you look at the reviews closely. But no one is complaining about the Panasonic lumix resolution.

I have a d800, another market, another category, believe me it is overkill for anything except commercial work for bill board. The computer requirements are very heavy contrary to my former nikon 12 megapixel. So what is the need of more megapixel.

• Again, want to reming that 1080p LCOS panels (similar to ones used now in Panasonic cameras) already exist and used in products http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/st1080-features.html

• @VK so you're saying it's likely to get a true 1080 viewfinder in cam?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions