Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Sanity 5 test on 20mm f1.7 and ISO > 6000. 24H mode.

Shot a moving party crowd on the Brooklyn Bridge after midnight. The grain gets alittle wild, but still looks decent.

• Micro-test of Sanity 5 and TAMRON 80-210 CF Tele Macro handheld.

• Sanity seems to get lost in the high bitrate shuffle sometimes...but tonight I went to a Beach Boys Concert. The last time I saw them in concert was about 45 years ago. I had to sneak a GH2 in as a consumer still camera only, and hand hold three hours of video with a manual prime. Aside from some shakes and bumps now and then, and occasional slow focus or exposure, the video is great. Not so much as a blink out of Sanity 5.

This frame grab is a compressed Jpeg, cause I'm too tired to do anything else. So don't pixel peek. I'll post some video tomorrow.

Photobucket

• I have have footage of 720p 60 , 24p hbr 30p 1080i. Does anybody know a good way to export the footage from fcp x. im seeing a lot of artifacts on 720p footage. I exported as 1080p. Should ive have exported as 720p, overall i like the original files much better. By the way i used sanity5 hack with canon 28mm fd.

• https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=26vSDaOCnEo I have have footage of 720p 60 , 24p hbr 30p 1080i. Does anybody know a good way to export the footage from fcp x. im seeing a lot of artifacts on 720p footage. I exported as 1080p. Should ive have exported as 720p, overall i like the original files much better. By the way i used sanity5 hack with canon 28mm fd.

• Hello ! This time I post 3 png captures from After Effect with magnificatin 200% and 400% - the mts footage is 1080p and seperated fields is set to Off.
    I hope this is the proper way to examine the mts.
    What is your opinion about resolution here ? Thanks again !

100% .png
    1476 x 886 - 2M
    200%.png
    1818 x 879 - 908K
    400%.png
    1819 x 878 - 290K
  • @julientom It's difficult to draw any conclusions from this picture because it's a jpg, which is a compression of a compression. Plus there's the unknown of how FCPX is decoding the H264 file. I don't have a mac, but I know there have been issues in this area. Some people like to use 5DtoRGB for H264 decoding on the mac.

• Thanks for your answer Ralph and huge thanks again for your work !!! love it !
    I thought we could have MUCH higher resolution on the faces....
    The background is fine bit I have the feeling to see lots of macroblocks on the faces, the shoulders, the clothes....
    would it be possible that we have compression issue here on this 22mb static shot ?
    (I just imported the MTS in FCPX no transcoding - 1080 25p here)

• @julientom It looks absolutely fantastic! I love high information pictures like this. The only issue I see is some jaggies at the edges of areas of highly saturated red. I don't believe this is native to the MTS file. It makes me wonder what your post workflow is.

• New shot in HBR 25p with sanity 5, static - lens 12mm@f11 - 160 iso.
    Can you guys please tell me what do you think of this quality ? thanks a lot !

plan_large_chorale copy.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    plan_large_chorale crop.jpg
    642 x 478 - 321K
  • :) indeed!

• Long live Sanity 5.0! Nailed my shoot today. Huge kudos to Ralph for supplying this awesome hack, as well as others on this website! I'll try to post some footage if I can but I don't own it. Man it looks good.

• Reading of the famous Dr Suess story by Paul Turner , shot with GH2 , canon servo zoom 15x lens, Sanity 5.0 hack with Pulse audio hack , edited on Vegas 10 Pro , no color correction , 1080i low bit rate , natural light , Vibrant preset.

• Hi again, I need Sanity 5 for a shoot tomorrow and also need the audio settings at ACG 0 = 203. I was using a custom 4.1 that already had the audio settings or hack with these settings. Has someone already done this or do I need to preform an aditional audio hack?

I think I found it with thepaulus audio hack and Sanity 5.1. However after installing I can't find the 1-5 audio setting, as before. All I can find is volume settigs 1-6 that don't appear to do anything.

• crunchy, cards behave differently in PC readers vs in GH2's card connector. It is necessary to have the "right" card that produces stable results, and hopefully spans. In my experience, CONSISTENTLY this card: goo.gl/gbQf4 is the winner.

• @crunchy I know I have on V4.1 Crunchy, but I'm not sure about 5. I get testing burnout sometimes. If I get a chance later today, I'll try 5 and see.

Mot of my clips are well under a minute. For interviews and long recordings, I use a camcorder...so unless I'm testing, spanning issues don't show up.

• @peternap But if measured reading/writing speeds are about 45MB/s on my laptop, there are no more personalities. The cards are up to specifications.

I would just like to add that on two occasions the first span worked, but the second one did not. Have you checked for several spans?

• @murph100 hello and thanks for your answer ! I agree with the tiny DOF and the light. Still this does not explain compression here... does it ? If I undertand, what you're saying is that the GH2 just does not handle light between 0 and 50% of luma level ? I'm not a pro canon, but I think the same shot on a 5D would not show that kind of compression in low light... Don't you think that a 80mb patch would have allow a bigger bitrate one that static shot and less compression ? Have a look at the color and the detail on the cheek...this looks really not good (codec compressed) and the cheek is not that dark

• @Julientom, IMO the hack is not the problem here, that shot is not going to work unless you light it ( or expose for the face ), also there is slight motion blur and the plane of focus is actually behind her face ( look at the collar ), the DOF on those lenses wide open is only a few millimeters so focus is crucial.

• Hi everyone ! Thanks a lot for all these wonderfull patches ! I use sanity 5 on two GH2 in HBR 25p. I have great quality on outdoor panoramas. But I have a serious doubt about quality for some static shots for ITWs. I found these 2 pictures have a lot of compression on the face of the lady. These was shot with olympus zuico 50mm@f2 and voitglander nokton 25m@1,2 iso was 160 or 320 max i don't remember. I didn't want to surexpose the background so she's not very very bright... Could you guys tell me what you think about it

thanks a lot

(just for the report : - I only crashed with sanity5 repeativily on some panoramic movement with sun in my face - I can span without any problem on both the GH2 and the GF2 )

25mm.bmp
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
    50mm.bmp
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
    25mm.bmp
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
    25mm.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    50mm.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @crunchy I think all cards have their own personality Crunchy. Yesterday I spent 5 hours videoing an old sailing Schooner, lots of flapping sails and water, rough seas, bright sunlight, ropes, blocks and lots of detail that should have been a card killer. I was using a Sandisk Extreme 45mb card in the Sanity 5 camera. Some of the time I locked the camera down and used the other one with Flow Motion 2.2 to get other details. The Sanity camera had a 14-140 lens in autofocus mode.

The Sanity camera never balked. It spanned when it was locked down and gave great image quality.

No problems with FM either but I was using a 64 gig 95mb in that.

Not all 45mb cards are created equal.

• @Ralph_B

Ralph_B wrote: @crunchy Sanity 4.1 and 5 are totally reliable for spanning in 24L if you use Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s cards. I can't speak for other cards. mo7ies has obviously had good success with SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I.

My answer: They did not prove to be reliable on Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s 32GB cards (measured speed on my laptop was also about 45MB/s). I used 20mm pancake lens in manual focus mode during shot. Sometimes it spans, sometimes not.

I am sorry for such messy answer. Namely, Personal View forum editor can't show the original comment in a box (with automatically writen poster's name and other data in a header), like in most other forums. At least I haven't found such an option. Therefore, it's harder to follow discussions.

• @peternap This picture looks fine.