Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Reading of the famous Dr Suess story by Paul Turner , shot with GH2 , canon servo zoom 15x lens, Sanity 5.0 hack with Pulse audio hack , edited on Vegas 10 Pro , no color correction , 1080i low bit rate , natural light , Vibrant preset.

• Long live Sanity 5.0! Nailed my shoot today. Huge kudos to Ralph for supplying this awesome hack, as well as others on this website! I'll try to post some footage if I can but I don't own it. Man it looks good.

• :) indeed!

• New shot in HBR 25p with sanity 5, static - lens 12mm@f11 - 160 iso.
    Can you guys please tell me what do you think of this quality ? thanks a lot !

plan_large_chorale copy.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    plan_large_chorale crop.jpg
    642 x 478 - 321K
  • @julientom It looks absolutely fantastic! I love high information pictures like this. The only issue I see is some jaggies at the edges of areas of highly saturated red. I don't believe this is native to the MTS file. It makes me wonder what your post workflow is.

• Thanks for your answer Ralph and huge thanks again for your work !!! love it !
    I thought we could have MUCH higher resolution on the faces....
    The background is fine bit I have the feeling to see lots of macroblocks on the faces, the shoulders, the clothes....
    would it be possible that we have compression issue here on this 22mb static shot ?
    (I just imported the MTS in FCPX no transcoding - 1080 25p here)

• @julientom It's difficult to draw any conclusions from this picture because it's a jpg, which is a compression of a compression. Plus there's the unknown of how FCPX is decoding the H264 file. I don't have a mac, but I know there have been issues in this area. Some people like to use 5DtoRGB for H264 decoding on the mac.

• Hello ! This time I post 3 png captures from After Effect with magnificatin 200% and 400% - the mts footage is 1080p and seperated fields is set to Off.
    I hope this is the proper way to examine the mts.
    What is your opinion about resolution here ? Thanks again !

100% .png
    1476 x 886 - 2M
    200%.png
    1818 x 879 - 908K
    400%.png
    1819 x 878 - 290K
  • https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=26vSDaOCnEo I have have footage of 720p 60 , 24p hbr 30p 1080i. Does anybody know a good way to export the footage from fcp x. im seeing a lot of artifacts on 720p footage. I exported as 1080p. Should ive have exported as 720p, overall i like the original files much better. By the way i used sanity5 hack with canon 28mm fd.

• I have have footage of 720p 60 , 24p hbr 30p 1080i. Does anybody know a good way to export the footage from fcp x. im seeing a lot of artifacts on 720p footage. I exported as 1080p. Should ive have exported as 720p, overall i like the original files much better. By the way i used sanity5 hack with canon 28mm fd.

• Sanity seems to get lost in the high bitrate shuffle sometimes...but tonight I went to a Beach Boys Concert. The last time I saw them in concert was about 45 years ago. I had to sneak a GH2 in as a consumer still camera only, and hand hold three hours of video with a manual prime. Aside from some shakes and bumps now and then, and occasional slow focus or exposure, the video is great. Not so much as a blink out of Sanity 5.

This frame grab is a compressed Jpeg, cause I'm too tired to do anything else. So don't pixel peek. I'll post some video tomorrow.

Photobucket

• Micro-test of Sanity 5 and TAMRON 80-210 CF Tele Macro handheld.

• Sanity 5 test on 20mm f1.7 and ISO > 6000. 24H mode.

Shot a moving party crowd on the Brooklyn Bridge after midnight. The grain gets alittle wild, but still looks decent.

• @darkdook

Really nice. I'm a low light shooter myself, and that's one of the things I designed Sanity to excell at.

Were you using auto-focus?

• @Ralph_B thanks so much for your work on Sanity 5. I'm pretty sure I was doing a shoddy job of manual focus, while walking on the bridge and hand-holding the camera.

at around 3200 ISO though, i was able to get some video with very even grain of the party and it looks nice. i'll post it when i get to cutting it up.

• @darkdook

Here's a focus trick I've found helpful in situations like this:

In the Motion Picture menu, turn Continuous Autofocus OFF. Set the focus dial on the camera to AFS. Now, while you're shooting, gently push the main shutter button half-way down, and it will autofocus for you. Release the button and focus will stay at this new point. You can do this as many times as you want during a shot. You can sort of think of it as a manual autofocus.

• @Ralph_B I'm using that AF trick when using native m4/3 AF lenses aswell. But I find it very risky at "you only got one shot" occations. Actually that would be a very good proposal for a hack improvement: Make it possible to assign the FN1 button (or another) to manual autofocus..

• @evero I second that. The video Autofocus is 100% better on my GF2's than on the 7D or MkII, but I could assign the focus to other buttons on them. It made life a lot simpler.

The half press on the GF2 is almost impossible for me to do without going too far.

• OK, here's some manual-autofocus technique...

1) Set the size of the autofocus square to the next to smallest. This is the default, so it's probably already there.

2) Before you press the shutter button, be sure the subject you want to focus on is center frame.

3) Lightly press and HOLD the shutter button. Don't expect an instant result. A little patience goes as long way. Don't think you have to push harder because nothing's happening. I haven't timed it, but subjectively it seems to take between 2 to 4 seconds to focus (admittedly, sometimes it can seem like an eternity). During that time you want to maintain constant pressure.

4) Release the button after sharp focus is achieved.

It takes a little practice, but what doesn't?

• That ""manual-autofocus"" technique works faster on an unhacked camera than a hacked one, possibly because of the load on the processor. YMMV.

Also the alternative to a half shutter press is to enable touch screen and tap the object you want to refocus on.

• Using a canon 35mm FD lens, this is my first use of Sanity other than some short preliminary tests. This is 13 minutes of video from a huge protest in Japan on the 28th of July. I left it largely uncut in the first half to allow the progression of happenings to be clearly documented, as well as to allow for a panorama of how huge this really was. For those with no patience the protest gets very interesting just after 4 min 30 sec. Though this is where the most shaky shots start for obvious reasons. It does smooth out relatively soon after though and there are some shots I am a bit proud of especially after finding the correct WB.

Sanity worked very well, and though I was trying to keep the ISO under 3200 it still looked largely noise free at 6000, and after viewing it at home wish I pushed the ISO further at times. Thanks RalphB, you made more than 2 hours of documentation and interviews possible !

• @mee

Obviously this protest was in response to the Fukushima disaster. What's going on in Japan these days? It's fallen off the radar in the world media.

• @mee At first glance it looks shaky Mee, but having done hundreds of these, it's pretty darn good considering the crowds and turmoil.

I sure love Sanity 5 for these events. That's what will be loaded tomorrow at the Farmers protest...and damn, I'll be a camera short if I don't pull the Sony out of the dive case and use it.

• @Ralph

More specifically this is one of several massive protests that have occurred in response to the first reopening of a plant since the disaster which happened about a month ago. The protest before this one had 200,000 people though the police claimed 75,000, and the media claimed 10,000. I found it very strange that the media went with a lower number than the police, but sky shots of that event showed the true number was staggering. The event in the video though likely a paltry 30,000 ;) was a huge deal because it at the street in front of Parliament and the Emperors house. My reporter friend that conducted interviews kept exclaiming he could not believe this was happening in the street in front of the emperors house, saying everyone in Japan would have believed this impossible. It's worth mentioning I could only see as far as the ends of this section of street, and that I saw roughly 30K people here, but it is possible there where many more on the side streets near the castle. I even saw people in the bushes off the sidewalks later in video shots. Also worth mentioning, the 200K protest was at one of the largest parks in central Tokyo. Lastly on the Protest, the police were actually very polite, other than a few isolated arrests it was largely peaceful.

So as for the rest of the story, Japan bought into the government BS for awhile, but after seeing countless scientific surveys of fish, meat, veggie, and dairy products as well as soil samples, and hearing from the clearly more educated and forth comming scientists they have almost all come around to the reality of what happened last March. Where before nearly everyones reaction to my warnings of eating certain foods was "Don't worry, it's safe now", now nearly everyone says something to the extent of "yes it's very bad" and then they usually make a remark about the government and electric company (TEPCO) being dishonest, and only caring about money and not the Japanese people. A complete 180 from when I arrived 10 days after the earthquake and Tsunami. It's pretty much impossible to find someone that doesn't want a clean energy future, in fact the only person that exclaimed to me that nuclear is needed in th last 3 months was a British man. The arguement for nuclear is that Japan has had to increase coal and oil burning at the cost of importing it, but the Japanese people have become keenly aware of very factual numbers for wind and solar generation vs nuclear and fossil, and see the untapped potential of waves and geothermal as well. It always amazing me though when old and young people alike spout out the exact kilowatts that X ammount of solar or X ammount of wind turbines can produce. I can't remember these numbers, but they clearly have them locked in now.

Hope that wasn't overkill of info ;) But it is very exciting watching this nation that just a year ago believed every word of their government, waking up so quickly in unity. I kinda think Japan is going to be showing the world how to do things right.