Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Shot this in HBR mode with Sanity 5. Very satisfied with the results! Canon FD 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4; Vivitar 35mm 2.8; Peleng 8mm

• Very strong blue tint in the dark areas?

• Yeah that was intentional. I probably shoulda mentioned that! I've noticed it does show up as a stronger blue on some monitors and lighter on others. Not sure how it looked on your monitor but I definitely like how it looks on mine lol. I like to use skate vids of friends to just try out different little things like that. I felt it added to the feeling of the carnival at night. Maybe I won't go so intense next time....haha

Anyway, I decided to post it here though because I was surprised how well the GH2 with Sanity 5 was able to handle the low light conditions with such clean noise!

• @RandyCatanach "I was surprised how well the GH2 with Sanity 5 was able to handle the low light conditions with such clean noise!"

That was one of my goals!

• Thanks for the help. I ordered a new card this afternoon and hopefully that'll solve everything. Got the Sandisk 64gb SDXC 95/mbs that @mo7ies suggested.

• Yes, these particular 64Gb cards are wonderful. I use them almost every day here, zero issues so far. Flawless spanning with Sanity v5 (except for the 1080p30 mode). 1080p24H, no problem - spans forever! Also, affords very fast transfer times, and works great with USB 3.0 readers - which some cards don't play well with, notably Lexar and some Transcends.

• @mo7ies What USB 3 card reader are you using?

• I have this USB 3.0 Reader: http://goo.gl/Umsyf

• @mo7ies Yes, SanDisk 45MB/s Extreme edition (the good one with 46MB/s measured speed, not Extreme Pro) is not reliable for spanning. Out of 4 times, two times it did not span in 24L mode when using Sanity 4.1.

@Ralph_B I suppose that Sanity 5 is not more reliable than Sanity 4.1 in 24L mode?

Do 64GB 95MB/s cards have some problems in a sense that you have to make one short clip before switching the camera off? If yes, it might be a problem for me, since I will forget to do that in more than 50% of the cases.

• @crunchy - yes, with these cards too, you will have to record a short (not spanned) clip at the end before switching the camera off, if you want to continue recording on the same card when you turn the camera back on.

• @crunchy

Sanity 4.1 and 5 are totally reliable for spanning in 24L if you use Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s cards. I can't speak for other cards. mo7ies has obviously had good success with SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I.

But in the broader picture, cards are a variable we can't control. One person reports success with a given card, another reports problems with the same card. Is there variablility in the manufacturing of these cards? Possibly. Did the person inadvertently buy a counterfeit card? Possibly. We don't know and may never know. All we can do is plow on and find something that works for us.

• True, just like with everything else :)

And thanks for Sanity v5 - it is great!

Would be perfect if it spanned in 1080p30 on 95MB/s cards - because most commercial work is done in 30p framerate, and with event or even with the interviews, short recording times become an issue...

• Sanity 5 does span at 30P - you just need to use a manual third party lens.

• hou much time you have on 4gb on 24h and HBR 30p?? for sanity 5?

• @Ralph_B - that's awesome news! I tried it on location with the fantastic Olympus 14-35mm http://goo.gl/Kc7x0 via the Panasonic adapter http://goo.gl/rlF3N , and it did not span - alas, that adapter is electronic and GH2 probably sees the lens as a native one, I guess. Will try some manual lenses next time!

• @mo7ies - And don't go higher than ISO 3200. All this is in the patch notes. Don't you read the manual? :)

• @Daegor

With 4GB you get 13 minutes at 24H and about 11.5 minutes at HBR 30P. Because Sanity 5 is super efficient, it's possible you might get longer recording times, depending on the subject matter.

• Don't you read the manual? :)

Ummm, yeah... about that... ;)

• I get 1 hour of video with Sanity v5 1080p24H, shooting landscapes (NYC skyline with moving clouds), in 4GB file easily!

Indeed super efficient, and excellent for timelapse (just speed it up in post as needed!)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3305/timelapse-with-sanity-v5

• I've got a long take shoot to do in the morning and have switched back from FM2 to Sanity 5. My issue is the camera will be locked off and unmanned for at least 45 mins. I need to shoot high res (so 1080p) and we'll be moving on a boat for around an hour, pretty slowly. Do i go for 24L and risk it for Spanning on a 32gb 45mbs card? Just wondering what will be reliable. I only get one go at this so it needs to work!

• Hold up... what's this short clip recording thing? If I understand correctly I must record a short clip of something (how long is "short"?) immediately after recording anything if I want to span correctly? Please advise, hack masters! :)

• @tl2bass - no, the card will span on its own. Once it spans though, and you turn the camera off and then back on, nothing else can be recorded on the card. It's the glitch.

The fix: after it spans and before you shut off the camera... record a short clip. A few seconds would do. Then you turn the cam off/on, and it will be ready to record again.

• You guys rock! Is there a way to know if something spans or not "in camera"? Or should I always shoot a short clip before switching off to be safe?

• If you were shooting for longer than 11min straight, depending on the patch and the content of the video, it could have spanned after that.

I'm actually not sure how to positively check whether the last video spanned or not - anyone?

• @mo7ies... btw - will I need a special card reader to go with my new card? I have an older Sony Memory Stick PRO model #MRW62E-T. Circa 2008.