Personal View site logo
Zacuto 'Revenge of Great Camera Shootout,' featuring GH2
  • 261 Replies sorted by
  • H is an incredible camera. Thats all Im saying... I feel it would ruin part 2 if I mentioned it. So I'm not gonna be the spoiler. Sorry.

I did think about putting V and K in the first two boxes though! :-)

• Remember they used only the hack available at the time (end of last year / early this year) which was the latest Quantum (9B). We've come on some since then, but undoubtedly a lot of people are wanting to check out the ol' Q9B... just to see... Its still great, for sure, but I stiill love my Sedna/Canis work together with the new Crossfire settings.

• Seriously I'm gonna pull my hair out waiting for a month trying to guess which is which, @driftwood, if you find it in your mercy just to pm me which camera H is, I'll be satisfied, even if I don't get to know the rest until next month.

• BTW @driftwood what would you say the differences are between Quantum 9b, Quantum updated with Sedna Matrix, and Sedna AQ1/Q20 A? SInce they used Quantum on this test.

• You will be shocked by the top Hollywood director who chose the GH2. A personal fav of mine. Made me feel good (but Im not allowed to tell, sorry) :-)

• @L1N3ARX agreed! about the GH2.. I can't wait for part two.. a whole month away...

• @JPB1138 Oh no, of course not. I freaking love my GH2, I'd be shooting on that over any camera under 10k currently out right now. I really love the image that comes out of this little guy and have simply become accustomed to its minor drawbacks enough, that I can spot them instantly when they happen to come up. But yeah, H was definitely among my top 3.

• @L1N3ARX So are you saying you didnt like H? I thought H looked comparably nice as the top choices.

• Well, I don't know if I'm the only one, but I picked H as HANDS DOWN the only viable answer for the GH2. I can pick out that motion cadence / slight artifacting a mile away. If H is seriously not the GH2, I'll be pretty disappointed in myself. I admit I'm not as good as others in detecting comparative differences in dynamic range and other important aspects of an image, but the motion usually is a dead giveaway for which camera is which, at least to me.

• From part two onwards you'll learn more about lighting, grading etc... undoubtedly.

When I was interviewed I of course plugged the incredible work of VK. He probably doesn't care about this shootout at all but I felt there was one man missing in all this and just had to say something.

• To me the value in this is for us Newbies. More experienced guys can afford to be jaded about all these tests, but you overlook the value of information that is all over these tests not specifically about the pixel peeping, DR, Resolution etc. Little tidbits that we didn't know are all over these tests and I find it highly valuable and informative.

Now as regards the GH2, it's great to learn more and more about how to coax even more out of the camera. It's amazing to think that we're still getting more and more out of it after all this time. Just when you think we've maxed out on the quality of image, there's another level achieved. I'm very excited to learn more techniques to get around the GH2 limitations and cameras in general for that matter. I've learned something from every Shootout so far.

• It looked better on the bigger screen thats for sure. :-) Some of you are way off, some of you are very close! @thepalalias needs to study again! Though some of his answer is on it! :-)

@ Philldaagony Shhhh don't tell.

• Gah, it's killing me knowing which camera is which and not chiming in on the discussion. Everyone's gonna be in for a little surprise once everything is revealed....

• @JPB1138 Before I analyzed more closely, my initial reaction was that D, E and G (as likely because of the approach as because of the camera) were my least favorite. Honestly, I am more interested in the test where they all have the same lighting setup. :)

H had my least favorite highlight on the orange/red guy's shirt on the right. Too high contrast. :) If the GH2 is not H, it may also be I. I really have not taken a close enough look at these yet to make a guess.

• @thepalalias Yeah I agree about the light in the top corner, I think it just needed a little bit more balance to white. I didn't mind the blue highlights too much but next to the others it seemed slightly off. Maybe thats just comparative analysis, but that would be my only thought about negatives on those two clips, i still liked them favorably regardless.

B doesn't look as good to my eyes as some are saying. maybe in the screening it looked better... Seems oversharpened, and in her dress at the sitting position towards the end it seems like some artifacting is going on in the blacks or something.

• @JPB1138 (EDIT: I originally typed this incorrectly but Driftwood caught it). H seems to have the widest field of view. If all the cameras actually used the same focal length, I would guess it had the largest sensor but I read that there was some variation.

Both A and H appear to have stronger light in the top back right corner than the rest.

• Do you think H the GH2? Thats my guess, could be way off... but thats what it felt like for me.. F just has so much range and clarity, I want one... Only thing I didnt love about H was the blue highlights so much. Maybe do a little Highlight De-Sat in those areas.. Just a thought.

• So basically what the GH2 guys did was light the dark and shadow spots a bit more, and the girl with the black dress, to compensate for the DR. Any other hints/ good tips they gave to make the camera look best that I missed?

• Starting my observations and guesses. This round focuses entirely on the last part of the shot, with the two actors sitting down in the foreground.

Which one is the iPhone? D. If D is not the iPhone, somebody made a big mistake creatively with it because there is no reason for the DOF to have to be that deep on any of the other cameras.

Why are the highlights so yellow on the exterior for camera C? Seems an odd creative choice to keep them that way, whether or not the camera rendered them that way to start with..

I like the choice of blue on the shirt in the foreground in E and H. It is an interesting variation from that used in the others.

1. F
    2. H
    3. A

F head and shoulders better than rest for me. Then H and A had a similar feel. Interested to see peoples reactions when answers released.

• F-B-A-I-H were my top5. D is defiantly iphone, G is 7D. H is GH2?

• I wouldnt reveal anyway DW. What's been really good about this is really its a cinematographers shootout. And it shows if you get lighting, grading right, any camera can look great. Even the lowly iphone performs admirably.

• 16:47 Starts the GH2 section of the Shootout (the process they used) and it ends at 18:40.

Comparison footage starts shortly after 19:00. It ends at 23:22. There are 9 test clips.

Interviews end at 27:44. The rest is credits.

@driftwood No, message the people that ask but do not post publicly yet. The rest of us should have to take bigger risks than we would knowing the answers. :)

• F, B, C, H for me. It was pretty difficult choosing among them, but in my opinion F was pretty much better than the rest.

• I chose F, B, A whilst there... I know the answers as to what camera is which... should I tell which camera is which? ;-)