Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Zacuto 'Revenge of Great Camera Shootout,' featuring GH2
  • 261 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias Dude, I'm not saying that you're bagging, I'm just saying that my results were a little different than yours.

This doesn't look all that creamy to me.

TJ 00002.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 868K
  • @RockRoadPix I am not saying that the pictures should look blurry. :) All I mean is that there is somewhat less detail with them than without them: there is still a LOT more detail than there would be with a standard diffusion filter, or something like that.

Anyway, here are a few shots of just a landscape, with and without the Ultra Contrast filters.

As you can see, some of the primary detail that gets lost is in the areas where contrast was already low to start with. Try processing each photo to reveal the powerlines or phonelines as much as possible to see what I am talking about. The difference is noticeable even with an Ultra Contrast 1, but more so with an Ultra Contrast 3 (and of course even more so with the two stacked together).

Conversely, there is more color preserved in the sky in the Ultra Contrast 1 picture than either the No Filters picture taken earlier or the No Filters picture taken after.

00002 NO FILTERS 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    00003 UC3 and UC1 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    00004 UC3 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    00005 UC1 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    00006 NO FILTERS 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @thepalalias - I get what you're saying here, but as you can see from my screen shot earlier, there was no real loss of detail. If I were shooting wides like your's above, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be using low con filters. The only glass that I would utilize would either be a pola or nd grad for those shots.

• Finally managed to watch the efforts on a decent monitor, I liked E F and H the best, although H was slightly too blue in the daylight. Just to have it on record. :) Overall the first impression had almost everything to do with lighting. I found some unwanted stuff in many but most were rather good. Of the worst performers D was soft, but quite interesting up close. G was also soft but the skin color was all orangey so it looked shit up front as well. Completely appalling that one.

• @rockroadpix The thing is, the only way to tell that there is no loss of detail is to see it both with and without. That is all I was saying. :) So you can see that, because you saw it both ways, but I cannot because I only get to see it with the filter applied. It looks good and the skin looks sort of smooth, but without seeing it without the filter, I cannot know whether the filter is playing a part in that.

Anyway, when I first looked at getting the filters, it was to do landscape photography, so I was a little disappointed that they could not work quite the way I had hoped for landscape video. But, then I found that I could get a smooth look on human subjects with them, and I was happy again. :)

EDIT: I know what you mean about the filters for those shots, but I wanted to try it to see how it went. Personally, I do not use ND grads because I do not like the way they affect my workflow. But I do use straight NDs, polarizers and (for stills or timelapses) lots of bracketed exposures.

• Does anyone know when Part 2 will come out?

• 15th July

• ok. So 15th of July is here. And all we get on Zacuto's "Revenge" page is 1 minute of very uninformative video. Well worth waiting for 1 month.

• OMG, ... "X" was the GH2 - Coppola's and so many other's favorite. (I'm not going to say which one GH2 was, so as not to spoil it for others. For now I'm just gonna call it "X") After all, it was also "X" that was the winner of online polls. But what also shocked me was that the over-saturation of those orange and green shirts that you see in "X" was what made "X" one of my least favorite shots.