Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Zacuto 'Revenge of Great Camera Shootout,' featuring GH2
  • 261 Replies sorted by
  • As for the famous filmmaker, it would be VERY wrong and unfair for anyone to spoil what Steve will probably show in his shootout. Won't get a peep out of me, and Steve has already teased it on another forum, anyway.

Watch for the shootout, it's a good one. I love hearing how people are reacting to it, I think Steve's done something special (one way or another).

• Well, everyone here has seen what hacked GH2 can do in terms of res (and my congrats to Vitaliy and Driftwood once more!) but come on... If i only see any GH3 gradable flat footage anytime i can even think of it but as long as it happens...hhmmm...i cannot believe GH2 is in third position for any human being above Red EPIC for instance.

• "They are already whining over at reduser.net! ....grabbing popcorn" LOL, me too..

• shit nevermind, someone already posted it..... my bad, I didn't catch that it till just now.

But...I just want to shove this in my myopic Canon-ite friends faces. "SEE??? Now never bring up your 7D...ever again.... In fact, see if someone's dumb enough to buy it off you, and use the money to buy a GH2."

• "But...I just want to shove this in my myopic Canon-ite friends faces. "SEE??? Now never bring up your 7D...ever again.... In fact, see if someone's dumb enough to buy it off you, and use the money to buy a GH2.""

+1 I'm sick of having to keep my dumb 7D around for these random jobs that request it...

• Sold my old 7D for $1200, and some other equipment for another $500. Picked up a new GH2 and new Voigtländer 25mm f/0.95 for $1700 combined. At no additional expense, the quality of my output went up massively. I feel a little bad for the guy that bought my 7D. But he's mostly a photographer, which does makes the 7D an attractive option, I guess.

Back to the shootout, I can't wait to see it. I'm most excited to see the GH2 and the F65 footage, in relation to the Epic and Alexa. I expect the F65 to revolutionize high-end Hollywood production, while the GH2 revolutionizes low-budget and independent filmmaking.

• Wow. They started it in April and the release is planned for mid June. Zacuto must admit that they're producing web-shows, not tests or shootouts. Kinda fun to watch, but I'd be glad should they cut the crap - all those invited cinebiz celebrities with their "precious" opinions and other blabla - and rather include 5D Mark3 and newer Nikons that they missed. I'm for better SNR, more actual tests - less jibber-jabber.

• My thing is if you can't shoot quality images with the GH2 than don't even try with other high end cameras cause you will get the same results. For them to even put the GH2 up there with 60K + cameras says a lot, now it will all go back to talent. One more thing let's stop with the 8bit 4:2:0 talk it's limiting I know that, but can't stop you from creating quality content. I will be going to the Boston June 13th Screening anybody going? Let me know so we can meet-up..

• now it will all go back to talent.

Good note.

Best idea is just look at all this shootouts as fun thing.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev well said VK.. you are a visionary to have foreseen what the GH2 could be & now is. Thank you for all your work.

• @TrackZillas

That's pretty much what I thought the first time I looked at my first 10 seconds of unhacked GH2 footage in 2010 . I realized that the camera was no longer the limiting factor.

I'm not especially excited about the GH3, how much better can it be?

• I'm not especially excited about the GH3, how much better can it be?

It just will be more handy in some things. Like better screen and viewfinders, more fps options, proper outpus and audio in hdmi. Something like it.

• @shian Not so loud. I've had my 7D on Craigslist for 2 days without a bite...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev It'd be nice if they moved the I/O'sto the right on the GH3, so you can use them with the Varavon Loupe.

• @brianluce The limiting factor is all in our heads, let's all go out and shoot some Epic ish.. Yeah the GH3 Cannot be that much better your right.. @vitaliy_kiselev right on will only have a couple more options thats all. @peternap I guest 7D's are not a hot commodity anymore 2days is really a long time try ebay it will sell.

• As a side note, there was a motion stutter in one of the GH2 Zacuto test clips -- the same thing I see when using in-camera playback. I had assumed this was strictly a camera playback issue.... But maybe it isn't(?) Has anybody seen it in actual high-data files, as opposed to just playback out of the camera?

• I don't know why folks want built-in ND. External ND's help cut down on lens flares and internal reflections so much.

• I LOVE lens flares.....gimme MORE lens flares.

Plus I hate having to screw the damn things on, OR popping them into a frame and sliding them into the matte box.... just a hassle... gimme a button!!!!

• It is not topic about GH2 or GH3, please use appropriate topics. It is my fall for starting all this, but it is time to move to proper places.

• spoiler alert don't read this if you haven't see "The Avengers" yet... it will ruin the best part of the movie,

I really can't wait till The Avengers is out on video, cuz the Hulk-Loki scene will become the new "PWN'D" meme, and the GH2 Slamming the other DSLRs about like a rag doll will be all over net. (I just wanted to let everyone know now that I thought of it first, so when it happens I can take all the credit :)

• @shian "I just wanted to let everyone know now that I thought of it first, so when it happens I can take all the credit :)"

lol, that will be funny.

• It'll go something like this

"Do you know who I am? I'm Canon Camera company, the biggest, best selling, most awesome camera company. I am God of DSL--"

SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM SLAM!!! --

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/175/5/e/hulk_vs_loki_gif__i_whip_my_loki_back_and_forth_by_miasmanecrosa-d54mxkm.gif

"Puny God...."

• reaction to hacked GH2 at Lucasfilm Skywalker Ranch/ Zacuto Test Footage

Posted by Zacuto

"Yesterday we screened the Test Footage at SkyWalker Ranch and recorded comments of the viewers that will go into the 2012 Shootout. the audience viewed it blind not knowing which camera was which and Let me just say that many people picked the GH2 as their favorite including a special guest that I will not name--not George Lucas--but will blow you away when you see it in episode two on July 15th. "

• In the Driftwood CM thread I discussed some of the very important areas where you can see the RED cameras completely exceeding the image quality of the GH2. But if you control the conditions or choice of shots to play off the cameras strengths, you can use the GH2 very well and you can probably start filming quicker for each shot. My initial impression is that they work well together on the same production. Media and power are also much cheaper for the GH2.

But make no mistake -a RED camera has MUCH wider dynamic range and you will miss it if you have shots with a wide dynamic range in your piece. I know I did the next day. Plus, there were never any flashing shadows in the lower third of the histogram and I could tell both where I would clip my highlights and where the shadows would be noisy and I could go through the whole shoot without having to worry about changing ISO since it was all metadata. Some things I like better on the GH2, of course (like easily being able to delete individual clips I had shot, which does not happen on the Scarlet if you read through the manual in its entirety) and the lens selection is quite different between the two.

But there is no doubt that the RED cameras have more than enough features to justify the price difference, and that they do affect image quality. But if you are outputting 2K, then you will not be noticing that difference in terms of resolution, but rather in other factors.