Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • for instance, how would the potential of this particular hack be different to the potential of using the Flow Motion V2 hack?

• Hi, as Ive stated before, I'm totally new to cinematography.. the only cameras I own are a GoPro HD Hero 2 and a Sanyo Xacti... neither of which can you change lenses or do anything manually complex with...

I have warmed to the idea of the GH2 and before I buy one I'm learning what I can about the different hacks for it so that I can decide which one will help me get the style & quality of footage I desire the most.

Can anyone tell me what this particular hack would offer me in comparison to some of the others? which is the most commonly used hack for obtaining cinema/filmic images?

Sorry if my question are too vague I will try to elaborate if required. I don't know the first thing about hacks for any camera. Thanks.

• Is there planned to add some additional features to the GH2? It would be really cool if you could teach the GH2 zebras and focus peaking. I don't know if this might be possible or not. Nevertheless, you did a great job with your work and espeacially the high isos in video mode saved more than one night of shooting!

Cheers, Sporki

• @capebio

Thios is wrong topic for this question.

• I'm currently using an Olympus 35mm macro lens with the DMW-MA1 adapter. However, compatability only came with Firmware 1.2 update. (Otherwise can't use lens at all!) I'm concerned that in installing PTool (which I would really like to do), I will lose my lens compatability - and can I backtrack to V1.2 if so? p.s. Olympus lens focus is accurate, but atrociously slow and illogical. Lens messes around for a few seconds before finding focus. I have to press trigger button three times to get it to macro range as it jumps about a third closer with each press, and then goes hunting for focus in the long end. Sigh

• @AthenaProductionsNet

Get normal HDMI monitor :-)

Otherwise, this is development topic.

• Vitaliy, can you disable the HDMI out disable? I want to attach a HDMI-Composite adaptor (and then to a DVD recorder), but the camera blocks the HDMI out when it detects my adaptor. This would be very valuable to me! Thanks.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"Film modes tweaking and may be image processing adjustments are our top general priority and I am slowly working on this using different approaches."

Thanks for the update. I look forward to the progress!

• I believe this has been brought up before. Vitaliy, are you planning to try and incorporate an HDR-Mode into the Hack? I am impressed with the Canons results.

• Just made my first donation. Plan to donate every time I use it for a pro gig, as a rental fee.

• Vitaliy, thanks for your work!

• Just donated. Thank you, Vitaliy, for the great, very useful, work!

• +1 jasketti. It'd be definitely a plus having a unique ID in the filename... (and only optionally being able to reset it)

• I did donation, wishing GF2 manual mode :-)

• Is possible to change the AVCHD video file numbering so that it would not reset to zero for every time the card is changed/formatted?

It would be helpful if the file number just kept increasing just like it does for the photos. Even better yet if it was possible to diffrentiate two or more cams somehow. For example having one GH2 naming files by starting with letter A and the other with letter B and son on. Or maybe if it was possible to just set the cam to start numbering from some set number such as 10000.mts and the other cam from 20000.mts

Will donate soon too.

• OK, I will donate soon. :-)

Same here.

Film modes tweaking and may be image processing adjustments are our top general priority

Really happy to see work on film modes. Custom LUTs can give us the next big boost in image quality & flexibility.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

OK, I will donate soon. :-)

• Small update on current status

We have GX1 dump and I am working on reversing and adding GX1 support to PTool.
    G3 body is on the way to me, but we still need your support here to compensate costs.
    Next PTool release, hope, will add support for both GX1 and G3.
    Manual video modes support for bodies lacking this feature will be next priority.
    Film modes tweaking and may be image processing adjustments are our top general priority and I am slowly working on this using different approaches.

P.S. Remember to support us regularly, as your small but regular donation will allow project to exist.
    Remember that we have no advertisments, so have no other significant support.

• Here is a great sample of high speed movements with the hack

• Yeah the point is that in the heat of the moment it's confusing and wastes time (even worse for me as I shoot in 3D and have to match two bodies). And it happens all the time, so a simple push-button-to-toggle would be great. That's what Panny should have done in the 1st place.

• That menu always starts in photo. It's one push of a button to go down to video. If you can't remember that much, once you push left or right, it's clear whether you're in photo or video.

• If it can be done, yes! You can easily miss a shot fiddling with ExTele, especially with the dual-menu where it's not even clear whether Photo or Video is highlighted, and you invariably select the wrong one.

• Are minor user interface tweaks really the best use of Vitaliy's time? We're talking about one or three extra button pushes.

• +1 - a long time ago I suggested that a single press of a FN button could toggle exTele - unless you need a separate entry for stills (I don't as I only shoot RAW which doesn't support it anyway) there's no point going through a menu at all, it just slows you down.

• +1 for this - i did the same thing with Fn2. But i wouldn't be overly optimistic, as changing the interface i imagine is tough. The only thing that does give me hope is that it was there in 1.0 and maybe there is some way Vitaliy could find and diff that section of the binary or disassembly code or whatever it is he works with when he works his magic - and revert it. - ?