Personal View site logo
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • >>Theoretically, what is the possibility of reaching higher fps, such as 720p x 120fps

>Something in 0.02% region :-)

So you're saying theres a chance!
  • >Theoretically, what is the possibility of reaching higher fps, such as 720p x 120fps

Something in 0.02% region :-)
  • Hi Vitaliy,

Theoretically, what is the possibility of reaching higher fps, such as 720p x 120fps?
  • dear Vitaliy,

the best of all would be to have the jpg burst mode engaged for more time than an useless 1 seconf and 2/3. That would make the GH2 a-la-par with the Red Scarlet..
  • Hello,

I personally would like this to be hacked:

foorage recorded through HDMI out shows that it’s really 4:2:2 that has been deliberately crippled by Panasonic to make the camera less interesting for professional vido use. This “cripple” mainly exists of timing disturbances, applied to both the video timing (“field cadence”) as well as the timing of the separate chroma channels.

A lot, and I mean lots of people would be whooping for this.

thanks
  • Hi everyone,

I would like 4:2:2 clean HDMI out at 10bit and 100mbps. This woud be a real bonus for pro work.
    As od now it is unclear whenever the machine can output that, the manual would not tell.
    AF10o outputs 4:2:2 @8 bit.

many thanks
  • I second the ETC changeable during recording, and it would be great to have as function key. I was shooting a wedding a few weeks ago with the f1.7 20mm, and any time I wanted to get a closeup, I would have to stop recording, set the ETC, then start again, putting a break in footage and audio. If this were seamless it would be great.
  • 1080/60p
    1080/48p <- nice even multiple of 24p would be kinda cool.<br />some higher bitrates at all resolutions.
    more iso and shutter speed control

more than 4 levels of audio level control would be kinda nice.
  • For 3D mirror rigs, it would be useful to be able to flip the horizontal either while recording or via the HDMI output.
  • Low ISOs probably hardware limited and very low level, but they would be extremely useful... Would avoid need for ND filters, and allow optimal shutter speed of 1/50 in bright daylight for much better motion.
  • MJPEG 1080p25 1080p30 mode is it possible ?? ( with lowercompression at about 30Mbps is OK )

Sorry for my english
  • I agree, just 24mb 25p and 720p, I'd be very happy. If we can have 50p, 28mb+ even better. Apart from that its all cherries on top. Panasonic should have released 25p and 24mb all formats anyway, annoyed.
  • Please just 25p native for starters in 23.8mbps mode.... maybe that would be possible as a first beta test? Thanks :)
  • >How about adding a raw style wavelet (no blocks) JPEG2000 style compression

This is not general putpose CPU :-) You can't add new compression types, or even really change present one.
  • The list at the wiki is pretty good. I would add a logarithmic Film mode. And maybe a False color exposure help, but you said GUI stuff was hard to do. Are custom filenaming schemes possible?
  • How about adding a raw style wavelet (no blocks) JPEG2000 style compression, like that used in the RED camera line? Or better yet, compress directly to a performance optimized compression like CineForm compression format with a .mov wrapper? That would be yummy!
    http://www.cineform.com/technology.php
  • AV-out during record for my helicopter RC ;) This why I use GH2 :)
    Thanks
  • Bitrate improvements, etc.

Here is an important thing I would really like to see:
    Enabling of focus assist and ETC modes while using HDMI output. This sounds simple enough but I could see it being difficult given it for reasons similar to why composite output is difficult. I noticed ETC was already listed on the link you provided but I don't think focus assist is.
  • I don't know if this has already been asked (haven't seen it yet) but would 1080p or 720p at 48fps be hypothetically possible?
    It would be great to shoot everything in 48fps and, in post, to have the option to do an easy 50% slowmo when needed and to convert the rest to 24p without any problem.
    I really hope this is possible.
  • >>Why the future GH2 hack can't do live picture trough AV cable ?
    >Because cameras do not run on general purpose CPUs :-)
    >And I do not understand that you menu under AV cable. Via USB - no. Via composite - I do not see any pointof this.

I need composite out for video transmitter on my RC helikopter.
    GH2 already has live out through usb/AV cable but it stops when recording start.
  • I would hope top priority would be patches to boost bitrate in AVCHD modes. Essentially I think that is all I truly need. Stable 40mb to 50mb like the GH13 would be a huge boost with the improved encoder.

My best hope would be the ability to change one of the variable framerates (like 80%) to 40% (1080p 60) slowed to 24p and written without audio. Probably not possible, but I can always hope.
  • Would there be a way for the camera to function without the shutter as an electronic shutter camera? When the camera is in a still mode using the electronic shutter in SH burst mode the minimum shutter is 1/40th sec and takes a burst of 40 frames, could we change that number to 1 burst and increase the shutter options down to bulb?
  • PLEASE: Restore Auto ISO in S and M modes with non-m43 lenses! Why oh why should the availability of Auto ISO in S and M mode depend on whether the camera can tell what aperture the lens is set to? It's time for this bug, which all G cameras share, to be fixed.

You the man, Vitaliy!
  • How about an adjustable ETC mode, where you can fine-tune the "crop factor"? Because the camera has processing power sufficient to downscale by factor of 2.6 (which it does in regular, not ETC mode, remember; ETC mode is 1:1), then it should be able to downscale by any other factor. Make the most of those legacy lenses, eliminate or enhance vignetting as you wish. Awesome!
  • Hello,

- Continuous iris control while filming in manual mode (to avoid level "steps" visible when correcting aperture in the middle of a shot)

- While shooting in Manual focus, it would be very useful to be able to briefly autofocus (by half pressing the release button)

- On screen/viewfinder focus assist (focused parts of the picture outlined e.g. in red)

I also support:

- In manual focus, it would be nice to have the on-screen distance calibrated in feet/meters

- Lower ISO : to film outdoors in a sunny day without ND filters (nor high shutter speeds)

Thanks!